Apoc'd

j'ordos

• 2 weeks later...
I tried the file upload function for the latest versions (if it worked, don't bother accepting version 1.20 :P ), I hope I filled in every field correctly, couldn't seem to select a lot of categories, so I just picked 'tools' under 'hammer&sickle', whatever that is :P .

• 2 weeks later...

And now those files are out-dated too since v1.22 is released. :thinking:

I guess the easiest fix is to just manually update it myself. I added the thumbs and new description for the latest version. Unfortunately, I can't seem to upload the new file for some reason. For now I just linked to the editor at xcomufo until it can be added properly. Hopefully, I have it all sorted out. :eh:

- Zombie

Thanks for updating, but the pictures and dowload link don't seem to work for me, the pictures give me a 404 error, and the link to xcomufo gives me a 'Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.' :eh: .

I recently tried the uploading thingy myself again, as I read all the categories were now selectable by everyone, but I still couldn't....

Oh well, doesn't matter, I'll probably release another version soon anyway. :thinking:

• 3 months later...

I have a question. I am trying to put the Dimension Destabilizer back into the game, but I can't seem to find the values for the weapon which influence it's damage against armor. The gun works fine, destroying walls and personal shield generators instantly if you aim it at them, but the weapon seems unable to harm the actual creatures/soldiers I fight. It's kind of funny, actually, to see a spitter take over one hundred DD shots and still stand there like nothing happened. So I was just wondering if you can find the codes which emphasize damage to armor. I am so close to bringing in the DD, I just get stonewalled at the armor section. Don't know, maybe it wasn't implemented? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and one more question: What is the purpose of the Dimension destabilizer (1/18) and then it says, under Ammo types, 15 (see the [agent equipment 2] (2/x) ). I went to 15, 10, and 25, the three disruptor beam ammo types, and found Heavy Launcher IN Missile, Unused 2, and Mind Shield. Could I get an explanation of these values, please?

I'm afraid I don't have much experience with editing Apoc, but re the ammo indexes, my bet is they should be ignored for items that don't actually use the stuff.

Assuming the DD does, if the ammo type is pointing to a weapon, then you'll need to change it to something else. If there is no suitable ammo object, then you may need to create one.

The dimension destabilizer for some unknown reason does not do any damage except to shields (&objects apparantly?). I'm not sure what you mean with the armor section?

The ammo type shouldn't be necessary for the recharging weapons, I don't know why they have one, perhaps that one defines the 'special' damage of the Dimension destabilizer, because if you check agent equipment 3, it'll say the DD has the Disruptor Beam damage type, even though there's a Dimension Destabilizer damage type in the list, so it should do normal damage like the alien disruptors.

Regarding the 'Ammo Types Used' field in Agent Equipment 2 (1/X), the value does not point to the number in brackets, but to the 'Ammo Type' field in Agent Equipment 2 (2/X). When checking that one (using mass edit is the fastest way of doing so) you will (should :) ) find that it's the Energy Pod that has a value of 10. 15 and 25 are simply not there, could well be the reason for the odd damage behaviour of the DD.

I'm sorry this is highly confusing, I really should try to find an easier solution. If it's still unclear feel free to ask.

(btw. if you check the comment for the 'Ammo Types Used' field, it should say "See Agent Equipment Data 2 (2/X): [Ammo Type]" which means it's about that specific field. :) )

Thanks for the quick reply. But the armor section part. I can see that the DD obviously can destroy the entire building easily, and it tears through shields like butter, but it doesn't affect the armor value of a human/alien. I was wondering if there is a section in the files that pertains to armor values, one that maybe needs to be altered so that the DD can take out armor as well as shields? I figured there might be a line of code/file/files that specifically say that the DD cannot damage armor. I don't have as much of an understanding of the hex codes as you do, so I may be grasping at straws here.

Well, according to apoc'd the DD has the normal Disruptor Beam damage type. I would think armor/alien resistance would be set per damage type, not per weapon, but who knows :)

Try changing the 'Ammo types used' field in the agent equipment data 2 (1/X) section to the ones the disruptor or devastator guns use. If that doesn't work either you should compare the unknown fields of the DD with the devastator and disruptor... Perhaps there's still something there.

If that still doesn't work, well... There's still plenty of stuff missing, I'm afraid you'd have to wait until someone finds out. :)

edit: are you sure the DD damages objects, it doesn't seem to do that here... What have you changed so far?

Well, I actually thought of making identical weapons settings for the DD. I set the damage, fire rate, tail, rounds, type, everything, so that it fit the Devastator Cannons weapons specs. I also pumped up the power to 2000, to see if the weapons value simply needed to be "boosted" to damage armor. Once I got it to 2000, I saved and turned on X-Com Apocalypse. Everything was identical, so I immediately got into a fight. Funny thing. My team of 6 saw a spitter and opened fire on it, but the spitter wasn't harmed. However, a wall behind it was hit, and the entire floor fell upon the spitter. XD Quite funny, but hardly useful in a combat situation. I am certain that the DD can damage the walls, ceiling, floor, etc., and instantly drains shields. I just can't find out why it won't affect armor.

Seems like the DD disregards the damage type field and just always has a 'destabilization' damage type. (if you mouse over the projectile image next to the weapon icon in the battlescape it'll show the damage type)

All you can try for now is change the 'primary ammo effect' field for the DD in the agent equipment 2 section to one of the other unused weapons, the forceweb (although that one might have the same problem as it's damage type in apoc'd is simply stun, so it shouldn't be different from the stun grapple) or the psi-grenade, and then change those.

I'll have to figure out where the damage resistance data is... No one would already know them by any chance? :D

I'll have to figure out where the damage resistance data is... No one would already know them by any chance? :)

Well, if you open up UFO2P.exe (Collector's Edition) in MS Edit with 100 column widths, the damage modifiers for units start at line 16820, column 36 (or perhaps a few columns earlier). The ordering is a mess though, so let me try and nail down what numbers represent each unit. :D

- Zomvie

You guys are freaking geniuses. Thanks for all this work you guys are doing. :D Can't wait until the data is all understood. I'll probably write up a tutorial on how to get the DD to work when this is done. Then everyone can enjoy the DD!

Again, Zombie, J'ordos, thanks for all the help. You guys are truly amazing. :)

Mkay, I spent a good hour and a half mucking around with the damage modifiers for Apoc. It wasn't pretty, but most of it is known now. There are 23 records and each record is 36 bytes long (actually it's 18 due to the fact there's a 0 in front of each modifier). So what this means is there are 18 different damage types, 3 more than what the OSG for Apoc lists:

Damage Type		Byte
Smoke					 1
Alien Gas				 2
Incendiary				3
Stun Gas				  4
Explosive				 5
Stun						6
Unknown 1			   7
Armor Piercing		  8
Laser					  9
Plasma				   10
Toxin A				  11
Toxin B				  12
Toxin C				  13
Unknown 2			  14
Disruptor				15
Unknown 3			   16
Entropy Enzyme		17
Falling Terrain		  18

What these three types are is a good question. One of them might be the Dimensional Destabilizer's disruptor beam. The other two may be the ForceWeb and the Tracker Gun ammo. It's just a guess though.

I had a slight problem trying to decode what unit corresponded to each record. That's due to the fact that the OSG alphabetized the darn unit listing instead of leaving it unordered. If there is a game listing of the units in question we might be able to fill in the missing blanks. (Such as Hybrid/Sectoid, Android, Multiworm Egg, Multiworm, Hyperworm, Chrysalis, Brainsucker, Queenspawn, ?, Psimorph, ?, ?, ?, ?, Micronoid Aggregate). There also seems to be an unused field which looks exactly like Terrain. Not sure which is which. Below is a zipped Excel Worksheet of my findings. Hope it comes in handy. :)

Apoc_Damage_Modifiers.zip

Well, I actually thought of making identical weapons settings for the DD. I set the damage, fire rate, tail, rounds, type, everything, so that it fit the Devastator Cannons weapons specs. I also pumped up the power to 2000, to see if the weapons value simply needed to be "boosted" to damage armor. Once I got it to 2000, I saved and turned on X-Com Apocalypse. Everything was identical, so I immediately got into a fight. Funny thing. My team of 6 saw a spitter and opened fire on it, but the spitter wasn't harmed. However, a wall behind it was hit, and the entire floor fell upon the spitter. XD Quite funny, but hardly useful in a combat situation. I am certain that the DD can damage the walls, ceiling, floor, etc., and instantly drains shields. I just can't find out why it won't affect armor.

According to my table, there are 3 damage types in the Spitter/Popper record with 0 for a damage modifier. Smoke is one of them and we can immediately cross that off the list as it is the wrong damage type. The next one is the alien-based Entropy Enzyme (again, a completely wrong damage type). The final one is Unknown 2 (byte 14). I'm guessing that Unknown 2 is therefore the DD modifier. Edit that to 100 and you should see some damage. :D

- Zombie

The damage types in apoc'd are read from the exe, according to that there should be 19 damage types, largely the same as your list Zombie

Damage Type		Byte
Smoke					 1
Alien Gas				 2
Incendiary				3
Stun Gas				  4
Explosive				 5
Stun						6
Psionic Blast			 7
Armor Piercing		  8
Laser					  9
Plasma				   10
Toxin A				  11
Toxin B				  12
Toxin C				  13
Dimension Dest.	 14
Disruptor				15
Explosive				16
Entropy Enzyme	   17
Falling Object		  18
Brainsucker			 19

No idea why Explosive is in there twice, it's not the Popper's Bomb, no weapon seems to use it...

edit: I'll try to add the data to apoc'd, but the current version is a little bit broken as I was in the process of adding basic savegame editing support etc... If that's okay with you Zombie?

The damage types in apoc'd are read from the exe, according to that there should be 19 damage types, largely the same as your list Zombie

[...]

No idea why Explosive is in there twice, it's not the Popper's Bomb, no weapon seems to use it...

Interesting. Yup, the explosive damage is in there twice. Looks like the Unknown explosive type is a complete match except that X-COM Disruptor Armor is a little more resistant to the unknown. Might have been a test modifier which wasn't removed and the programmers are known to just leave stuff in instead of removing it. :)

So the Brainsucker is 19? Does that come at the end of the DM string in the executable, j'ordos? Enlighten me, because I'd like to update my table. BTW, any idea on the unit list ordering problem?

edit: I'll try to add the data to apoc'd, but the current version is a little bit broken as I was in the process of adding basic savegame editing support etc... If that's okay with you Zombie?

The choice is entirely up to you, j'ordos. Add it in the next revision perhaps? :D

- Zombie

I added the damage modifier stuff to apoc'd, I'll probably release a beta version or something soon, just gotta make sure no serious bugs remain... :D

The brainsucker damage type is probably not in the list, but completely hardcoded. I seem to remember NKF saying he's had a few brainsuckers 'accidentially' hop on an android and the attack succeeding. They're just programmed to attack only humans.

Unfortunately no idea on the unit list ordering, there's no set of strings in the exe for that. Guess it'll have to be done through trial and error?

edit:

Apoc'd v2.00b1

* Seperated editing UFO2P.EXE and TACP.EXE (not fully implemented, editing UFO2P agent equipment will still alter TACP data for now)

* Early Savegame support: Vehicles (99% Unknown) and Market Data (got annoyed with midnight editor's limited market editing) WARNING: apoc'd does not backup your savegames automatically, edit at own risk!

* Added Unit Damage Modifier data under UFO2P.EXE (also alters TACP.EXE though), thanks to Zombie.

Hopefully not too buggy :)

Installation is the same, just put it in your main xcom apoc folder or edit the first line of apoc'd.cfg. Some of the main menu items do not work yet, these are: 'Edit Buildings' and 'Transfer Changes' (Transfering UFO2P data to TACP data and such). 'Edit TACP.EXE' works, but it simply links to the UFO2P data for now.

edit2:

Apoc'd v2.00b2

* Support for German version

* Completed Seperation of TACP and UFO2P.EXE. To copy TACP data to UFO2P data or vice versa use the 'transfer changes' menu. Note you still have to save your changes afterwards!

Apoc'd will try to automatically detect your version of apocalypse the first time it runs. In case it mistakes your german version for an english one, you can fix this by setting the two numbers (one for each exe, ufo2p and tacp) below the filepath in apoc'd.cfg to 2 (1 for english version and 0 to retry the detection). If switching these values does not work (i.e. you get a load of gibberish when trying to edit stuff) you should send your TACP.EXE and UFO2P.EXE files to me so I can add support for them, or manually edit all the offsets at the end of the cfg file :) .

Mass editing is not supported in the edit TACP menus and savegame menus.

Enjoy!

download removed, just get apoc'd 2.00.

Nice work, j'ordos! I'll update our files section shortly. :)

The brainsucker damage type is probably not in the list, but completely hardcoded. I seem to remember NKF saying he's had a few brainsuckers 'accidentially' hop on an android and the attack succeeding. They're just programmed to attack only humans.

Unfortunately no idea on the unit list ordering, there's no set of strings in the exe for that. Guess it'll have to be done through trial and error?

Ok, but where is the brainsucker damage modifiers found in the executable? That's what I was trying to ask. :D

For the list ordering, I was hoping that there would be a list in either the UFOpaedia or base stores somewhere to work off of. If those don't match then the only way is to hack a damage modifier value of 100 down to 0 and check it in-game. Luckily, you only need to change 4 values to complete my list: 1 trial to destinguish between the Spitter/Popper combo, 1 trial for the Human and Hybrid/Sectoid combo and 2-3 trials for the Skeletoid, Megaspawn and Anthropod triad (depends if you get lucky). Who is willing to give it a shot? That's the big question. :)

- Zombie

I just remembered apocutil had a 'display' option, displaying the stats of all aliens (as they could be randomized by apocutil too). If he lists them in the correct order, which seems to be, it should be like this:

Alien Egg

Multiworm

Hyperworm

Chrysalis

Brainsucker

Queenspawn

Anthropod

Psimorph

Spitter

Megaspawn

Popper

Skeletoid

Micronoid

Doesn't list the humans/mutants/androids nor the terrain features (?) though, but re the human side, most likely the human comes first in the list and then the mutant. So the end result would be

Human (?)
Mutant (?)
Android
Alien Egg
Multiworm
Hyperworm
Chrysalis
Brainsucker
Queenspawn
Anthropod
Psimorph
Spitter
Megaspawn
Popper
Skeletoid
Micronoid Aggregate
Disruptor Shield
Megapol Armor
Marsec Armor
X-COM Disruptor Armor
Terrain (?)
Terrain (?)
Gun Emplacement

Ok, but where is the brainsucker damage modifiers found in the executable? That's what I was trying to ask.

Do you mean the string, or the data? The string comes after the other damage types in the exe, yes, and it's used by the brainsucker launcher. The data, I was trying to say, I don't think there is any :)

edit: looking at my damage modifiers in apoc'd I know why the DD didn't do any damage to the terrain here, seems I accidentially cleared a great deal of the damage modifier data while trying to find some more agent equipment data, everything starting from the Marsec armor and a piece of the megapol armor data was set to 0... Hadn't even noticed it yet :D .