Controversial Games Bill Gets OK

I found this while surfing the web....

Controversial Games Bill Gets OK

All I can say to this is a quote from Postal Dude Jr. petition: "Petition to make whiney politicians play video games". It might not be the correct phrasing but it says it all.

It is a good thing that there aren't any of these whiney politicians on the Q&A departments around the gaming industry. Otherwise Postal2 would be like watching/playing the Teletubbies, Barney(the purple dinosaur) and minddumbing shows/games like that. Instead of kicking a bystander into submission or death your character would pat the bystander which now is a uidentified furry thing which if patted enough on it's furry tennis ball of a head will go old and bald.

I say that there should be passed a law against stupid shows like the beforeamentioned and it shall be put into the UN declaration of human rights that no such show shall ever be made, shown or broadcast in any form of media.

And to all of you wouldbe politicians or otherwise trying to establish themselves in politics....Try playing a video game. Because if you don't do that. Then you might find yourself being shot, stabbed, run down by a Buick and hung from a tree which is also reffered to as 'The end of Barney'.

Now back to playing video games (the 'illegal' kind :eh: ).

Somebody actually plays Postal 2? :mad:

Yep! :P

There is nothing like a little violence and mayhem once a while....Especially when you need to let out some steam. :eh: I can't go rampaging through the street in real life and behaving very, very anti-social.

Just remember violence belong in video games and not on the street. It is not the other way around as some people would like to have it.

Maybe I should have named this topic 'The No's of gaming according to people like Hillary Clinton'.

So if you got some No's of gaming according to you then post them here....

Maybe I should have named this topic 'The No's of gaming according to people like Hillary Clinton'.

Hillary Clinton? I thought Tipper Gore (ex-VPs Al Gore's wife) was the one who got in a huff over gaming violence. :P

Personally, I don't think there are any grounds for the theory that games spawn violence in real-life. If there is, those individuals must have feeble and uneducated minds which cannot grasp the difference between fantasy and reality. :eh:

- Zombie

Hillary Clinton? I thought Tipper Gore (ex-VPs Al Gore's wife) was the one who got in a huff over gaming violence. :P

Personally, I don't think there are any grounds for the theory that games spawn violence in real-life. If there is, those individuals must have feeble and uneducated minds which cannot grasp the difference between fantasy and reality. :eh:

- Zombie

Both of them are stirring in the anti-video game pot....

I found the definition of inappropriate for children to be interesting : "the material or performance lacks serious literary, scientific, medical, artistic, or political value for minors."

Does the bit about political value mean that gratuitous violence in a computer game is fine providing your character is going round killing people from a country America is gearing up to invade? Are we going to see games entitled "Environmentalist Blood Bath"? Also, where does it leave cartoon violence in both computer games and cartoons?

I see nothing wrong with the current system of having computer games rated in the same manner as films; a game that is considered too violent for young children will get a 15 or 18 rating.

Here in the UK, we have a quite hilarious situation. There was ELSPA, an organisation which gave out recommendations for game age ratings, but which was A) Purely voluntary, no-one has to submit their game to it and B) Not legally binding anyway, so anyone of any age can buy the game whatever their little infobox says.

ELSPA was replaced by the PEGI, which may be familiar to other Europeans. Again, submitting a game to their judgement is voluntary and not legally binding, with the added bonus of their idiotic pictorial and textual descriptions of the game's contents. According to the PEGI system, some games may contain 'Fear' and 'Drugs'. I find it difficult to believe such a collection of incompetents exists, but there you go.

Lastly, there is the BBFC ratings, which very few games get, and though it is legally binding, not many people pay attention to it.