Berger's Factory - Help!

feral

[i initiatlly posted this in the Support forum, but given the lack of any response I am beginning to think that was the wrong place. Sorry for the duplication. Then again, no one seems to have read it in the other forum.]

I have stumled onto Berger's Factory but am starting to wonder whether it's not too early in the game. I have no panzerkleins yet. I've now encountered some (many) at the factory. Unfortunately, they are occupied and really doing a job on my squad. I have limited RPGs and some grenades with me, but the PKs seem impervious to pretty much everything. Should I reload and try this mission later or do I have a realistic chance of finishing it at this stage? I'd hate to waste all the effort I put into this mission already and, as far as I can tell, there is no way to return to a mission once I leave.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hey there, feral, sorry for the lack of response up till now. I hope I can help, but it's been a couple months since I've played S2.

Here is what the FAQ over at GameFaqs has to say about beginning Berger's Factory:

You will have to carry a body out, so only bring 5 PKs. But BRING PKs. It can be done without them, and there are some there that you can take over, but you really should bring some! And make sure at least one of them is a beam weapon one!

So I'd recommend getting out for now and coming back with a burlier squad. Alternatively, can you find any of those big laser rifles? If you can get those (or are REALLY good at sniping the guys out of their PKs) you can get into some of the enemy PKs and turn the tables...

Go slow and save often!

• 3 months later...

I did this without PKs. I set up outside the fence, killed most of the soldiers. Went in with my scout and picked off the rest of the soldiers. PKs started coming up. One got separated, so I blew up part of the building that you can blow up, took him out with my sniper (took like 10 rounds or more) Then threw grenades at two coming up some stairs. Took them both out. Then jumped in the PK with the sniper and sniped the last one that was coming up the stairs.

There was one more in there somewhere that got taken out with grenades. They tried to come up the stairs and a couple heavy grenades pretty much finished them off.

Spot with a scout and shoot from outside range with rifles. Confuses them and they do nothing. If you can get them in a narrow spot and blow up both sides, they won't move, can't shoot and just sit there and die.

I have stumled onto Berger's Factory but am starting to wonder whether it's not too early in the game. I have no panzerkleins yet. I've now encountered some (many) at the factory. Unfortunately, they are occupied and really doing a job on my squad. I have limited RPGs and some grenades with me, but the PKs seem impervious to pretty much everything. Should I reload and try this mission later or do I have a realistic chance of finishing it at this stage? I'd hate to waste all the effort I put into this mission already and, as far as I can tell, there is no way to return to a mission once I leave.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Try to get prototype 8M1 laser assault rifle. Effective against eveything. 1-2 bursts are usually enough to kill a PK operator.

It is found in a very rare random encounter in Switzerland. (with an UFO in it and a bunch of PKs. Sneak pass the PKs with a scout along the edge of the map and get the rifle from behind the UFO) :drink:

With that rifle Panzerkleins are not going to be an issue for you anymore and Berger factory will be a stroll in the park.

The ammo for it you can get at the base, by putting the rifle into the locker, just like with the ray gun.

You can get multiple 8M1s by repeatedly entering that encounter. It just takes too long for it to come up on the global map sometimes. Longer than the Manor encounter with that monstrous "Sea devil" scoped rifle and a bunch of unidentified soldiers (in Italian uniforms)...

Happy hunting :drink:

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a similar problem on my most recent play-through. Had to go to the industrial complex in the Urals (the one with the twin Flak emplacements out front) without any PKs or anti-PK weaponry. Last time I only took two PKs, but I had forgotten how easy they make things.

Capturing the two that start on the map vacant made things a little better, though.

• 2 months later...
I did this without PKs. I set up outside the fence, killed most of the soldiers. Went in with my scout and picked off the rest of the soldiers. PKs started coming up. One got separated, so I blew up part of the building that you can blow up, took him out with my sniper (took like 10 rounds or more) Then threw grenades at two coming up some stairs. Took them both out. Then jumped in the PK with the sniper and sniped the last one that was coming up the stairs.

There was one more in there somewhere that got taken out with grenades, . They tried to come up the stairs and a couple heavy grenades, pretty much finished them off.

Spot with a scout and shoot from outside range with rifles. Confuses them and they do nothing. If you can get them in a narrow spot and blow up both sides, , they won't move, can't shoot and just sit there and die.

You must have been very, very lucky!

The first time I came there I sneaked closer and shot all I could see from outside the fence (I had a sniper with the silent rifle). Then I went inside the fence and killed all I could see outside the factory and on the roof. And just when I planned to go inside, one Renegade opened a door and stood there. So in my turn, I killed him with one headshot and then I just had the time to begin to hear an explosion and the game told me I had lost.

It took me a long time to understand why. My headshot had killed the Renegade but kept going through him, hit something explosive, blew up, and killed a factory worker! Kill even one and it is Mission Failure. One time after I also lost when a worker had been hurt by an explosion, and then the floor broke up and he fell over the edge and was killed in the fall...

I can only assume your explosions were in very lucky places! :D

You can blow some pretty big chunks out of the factory, but you have to be careful. Which can be a nightmare at times. I know the first half-dozen times I played the level, machine gun or rifle fire would regularly miss my targets, smack through a wall and hit a barrel, blowing civilians up.

What's really unfair is when the enemy sprays rounds at you and kills civilians, and it's still Game Over.

I also did not like how you arrive in the second basement map. The first time, the camera was on the wrong side of the map and I just saw some green flash and it was Game Over. Only the next time I played did I know what happened there.

(Stupid game putting my heroine all the way in front...)

I don't think that's ever even had the chance to shoot at me.

I was much too low level when I went there. It was as soon as I found the first clue, and I thought it was fun to visit Switzerland. :D

I did not even have any Panzerkleins -- it was one of my very first games, so I did not even know you could steal them at that Unknown Lab (sorry, I forgot the name just now) and climb into empty ones. In fact, I remember thinking those two by the barracks was enemies, and started shooting at them...

(I don't like the Panzerkleins :) but the missions in the towns are fun.)