TFTD Fanfic Discussion

The Veteran

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just read the latest installment.

The idea that France is maintaining its own military force is interesting as it is part of the European Syndicate during the time of TFTD. That tells me that the European Syndicate is a very loose federation in which member states still have a great deal of independence with only broad foriegn and economic policy coming from Brussels.

We've now had two false alarms in quick succession in the storyline. At the moment, X-Com is pretty chaotic and they have very little data on the technologies and craft the aliens are currently using, so this is only to be expected. There is also the possibilitty that a submarine will become entangled in the nets of a fishing boat, which always sends the fishing boat to a watery demise unless the fishermen are quick thinking and cut the net free.

I think we should start thinking about the next USO. I would like it if they were to shoot down a one-'man' Gillman scout investigating potential terror sites on the coasts of Scotland, Norway and Iceland. The one-man scouts are unarmed, so it represents no threat to the pilot. The squad is then sent on the relatively easy task of killing the Gillman pilot and recovering some artifacts for study.

The first encounter with Gillmen would be the first clue X-Com has thet they might be dealing with something bigger than the remnants of the last wave of alien inbvaders.

France always seem to have some lone spirit and a need to stand on their own two feet, I suspect the syndicate would not rest easily with them even after an alien war. It gives a feel of reality for me to consider there are still political ramifications on everything that XCOM does.

I'm a little loath to start a proper 'shout' myself but you are correct - I think we need a well written USO siting. Even if it's to get other writers interested.

Got any ideas AT? It would be nice to keep the tension up too.

I think the seas between the Shetlands and Iceland are going to become an important battleground as the aliens will have to pass through that corridor to get between the North Atlantic and the North Pacific. Also, the Artic will become a major shipping lane if the ice caps significantly recede by the time of TFTD. That combination means that there are going to be lots of cargo ships and remote fishing villages for the aliens to raid.

Although the alien vessels are capable of atmospheric flight, I would expect them to remain submerged whenever possible. They would be too vunerable to atmospheric interceptors and anti-aircraft defences to want to make a habit of atmospheric flight except for short distances or in emergencies.

I concur, it's just that in the game some of the Terror Attacks take place in what could only be described as 'Warm' areas. But as there were only three battle scapes we can discount that in the Fan Fic.

I would think that the tail end of the Gulf Stream would be a popular place for the Aliens too so the area west of Scotland should see some activity.

The idea of the aliens coming out of the water on a regular basis is doubtful so I agree, best if we keep them submerged as much as is convenient.

I imagine that the aliens will expand their areas of activity in time, but if they hit a tropical holiday resort, the chances are that the local police and military would have organised some form of defence before X-Com could respond.

One aspect of the first two games I have never found convincing is that the aliens can hit a major city like Tokyo or London, X-Com turns up 18 hours later, and the local authorities still haven't organised some form of defence against no more than twenty aliens :bleh:

I was wondering, too. Every Police on this Earth has at least some sort of SWAT team. So while they'll probably get fried from Lobstermen and Tosoths, Aquatoids and Gillmen pose only a little thread (except for MC). Or maybe it's political stuff, that only X-COM is allowed to do something against that seafood.

If you consider that most of the powerful countries of the world have their own 'Special Forces' you would think that they would be the best to deal with such a threat. The British SAS train most of the worlds SF so most of them have the same equipment and tactics. In Germany you have a similar force, I thinks it's called G9. By their own admittion, Special Forces are not trained or equiped for offensive work. That is what the regular army are for.

In the First Alien War the regular armies, navies and airforces came off second best and the only force capable of resisting the aliens was the one that saw it coming and were prepared. XCOM. When a second war breaks out - who better to combat the threat than XCOM. Once it has been rebuilt it will once again be the best hope.

Trouble is, at this point - few are ready to admit there is a problem. History shows that humans pay little attention to what has gone before. If only politicians read history books they would see that the past is a manual of 'what to expect next'. Politicians being stupid and unemployable in any other walk of life are just the worse people to have running a country.

Yeah, when the watsit hits the fan the police with have new orders on how to react to the new menace but except for being issued with those otherwise illegal dum-dum bullets there is little they can do.

Welcome to the Second Alien War. :bleh:

Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! :bleh:

Back to the story:

I'm not yet happy with my instalment.

I presume that Cellman is into deep sea diving as a hobby as it would not ordinarily have been a part of his duties as a member of a SWAT team. This means that his family must have been rich; he won't take a bribe and being a copper probably doesn't pay that well in the 2040s. Also, if he is actually an honest copper his worst enemies might not have been criminals but corrupt police officers who were frightened that he would denounce them one day. One can easily imagine a corrupt superior gladly approving of his transfer to X-Com to get him out of the way...

• 2 weeks later...

Well let me go and check the latest post and I'm sure I can throw something together. I'm opening up in a minute so it won't be till about 6 or 7 when staff get here and I have 12 months of VAT returns to do but I'm getting quite good at them now :D

I'll try though :D