Crash bug when entering Battlescape and using XcomUtil

Random

I just tried out X-Com Util, and I really like the special features! Unfortunately, the batch file doesn't seem to be launching the Tactical.exe correctly. Whenever I try to enter the battlescape, the geoscpae program closes (correctly), but the battlescape never starts up. I just left staring at the batch file's DOS window.

Stranger still, the game works fine if I never reload. A fresh game works perfectly. But once I load a saved game, the battlescape is permanently screwed. I'd hate to have to abandon X-COm Util just after discovering it. Does anyone know of a solution?

I'm using the gold edition of UFO, and am running XP. I am using the newest (9.60) version of X-Com Util.

I assume you're using the "RunXcomW.bat" file to run the game? Right click on that, and select "Edit" from the context menu. Notepad will boot up and show you the batch file.

Delete the very first line ("@echo off"), then save and close the file. Now when you run it you should get a lot more info in that DOS window.

Play the game and follow the steps to make it quit out. You should hopefully see some error messages; if they make no sense to you just copy 'em out here, or take a screen shot.

• 7 months later...

I was getting this same error. I determined that the code was hanging on this command:

xcopy missdat xcubef 1>nul

If I pressed CTRL+C it would quit the xcopy and then run the battle. After the battle it would hang on:

xcopy missdat xcuaft 1>nul

The xcopy command was waiting for me to verify that I wanted to overwrite the files.

Here is the solution. Edit the file RunXcomW.bat

Search for every line with xcopy and add the switch /Y. For example:

xcopy missdat xcubef /Y >nul

I had 4 occurrences that I had to change. Now it works perfectly.

Styro

• 2 months later...