Network-Based Co-op X-Com

CMDR KBX

Howdy, This is my first post! Anyway, I've been thinkin, Is it actually possible to make a network based X-com? My Idea was to play over the network with my brother. You could choose which difficulty and X-Com group you'd be in(Land/Sea units). You could go on the same missions and help each other. An example would be like this: You're the X-com Land unit(UFO DEFENCE) and you accidentally shoot down a UFO over the water. It's gone, right? Normally yes. but in this, with one guy playing UFO guys and the other playing TFTD guys, the other dude can go there. The game would be much longer, since you have to go to Mars, take it out, then go to T'Leth and take it out. You could choose your color, too. Both players could go on Alien Bases, Terror Missions, Mars, T'Leth, and Larger UFOS. You'd be allowed to share tech, making TFTD guys wear flying suits or UFO guys wear Mag. Ion Armor. Internet games are another story. Now, I'm pretty much a n00b at writing programs, but besides that, i could figure out mostly everything else. I need a few people to help. A programmer or two, some guys to help write data files, etc.

KBX, UFO2K does run over the network. Whether the network in concern is your LAN or the internet, is up to you. Quite frankly they're all the same thing at the end of the day.

(Though you're probably used to using dedicated server machines for online play, whereas in LANs your server usually doubles as a gaming host).

What is being suggested here is co-op campaign play. At this level of complexity it can't be done via a mod. A new game engine needs to be written.

As JFG says, there is no available sourcecode for the original game, and the closest thing we have is UFO2K. It is more logical to extend that project towards this idea then to create a new project from the ground up.

I KNOW THAT!!!!!

I mean over the NETWORK!!!!

BTW not only battle, but Geoscape, too.

*slap*

Good to know you're aware of UFO2000, but I think you're missing the point, they are closer than anyone has ever been to creating what you want; as without the source, you cannot mod X-Com into what you want to make.

And again, they are planning a Geoscape feature, so your best bet is working with them.

Howdy, This is my first post! Anyway, I've been thinkin, Is it actually possible to make a network based X-com? My Idea was to play over the network with my brother. You could choose which difficulty and X-Com group you'd be in(Land/Sea units). You could go on the same missions and help each other. An example would be like this: You're the X-com Land unit(UFO DEFENCE) and you accidentally shoot down a UFO over the water. It's gone, right? Normally yes. but in this, with one guy playing UFO guys and the other playing TFTD guys, the other dude can go there. The game would be much longer, since you have to go to Mars, take it out, then go to T'Leth and take it out. You could choose your color, too. Both players could go on Alien Bases, Terror Missions, Mars, T'Leth, and Larger UFOS. You'd be allowed to share tech, making TFTD guys wear flying suits or UFO guys wear Mag. Ion Armor. Internet games are another story. Now, I'm pretty much a n00b at writing programs, but besides that, i could figure out mostly everything else. I need a few people to help. A programmer or two, some guys to help write data files, etc.

Hello. Yes, as mentioned, UFO2000 runs xcom through the network. However, it is not real-time, which is what you are probably looking for as a "co-op". However, there could be a setting of each player as a turn as turn-based instead of real-time if you ever wanted to keep the turn-based desire. ie: co-op player 1 takes 1st turn, co-op player takes 2nd turn, enemy takes 3rd turn, etc.

Starting a game project requires; 1) Dedication - Work on for a month and returning a year later isn't considered dedication. You will be working on this in most of your spare time, so slacking can get the project to die easily. 2) Self-programming knowledge - You are the leader, if something isn't getting done and/or correctly you will have to look at the worst case scenario of doing it yourself. 3) Leadership - If you have project members, help with morality. Be sure to have a positive attitude when things are looking not so good, else most likely they will leave and will not come back. Don't be argumentative/defensive, you will lose so many fans/members. Try to help with all the holes that are not done/clear, members not understanding you will question if the project will live, or really should live. 4) Organization - Messes and spam scare people pretty fast.

If you cannot meet those main requirements, it will be a hard road. Nonetheless, I wish you luck.

Okay, so I'm the only one here who knows how to mod the sourcecode?!?

It's not that people cannot do it, it's the idea of committing copyright infringement.

- Kratos