Unsightly holes above doors......

Tiger

Greetings again peeps,

At last I've started lots of mayhem in the map editor...hehe... but have encountered my first little problem.

( Probably the first of many I'm sure to find, I may be on here a lot...sorry )

I have searched the forums but haven't come across any sort of solution, but I'm sure you pro's and veterans will know. ;)

I'm currently building a nice cosy house and a big nasty bunker, both of which have doors of sorts.

The problem I have is that I always get a gap inbetween the top of the door and the floor/ceiling above.

Is there a building block that I need to insert or any other parameters I need to play around with to solve this???

P.S. I think I'm playing the Silent Storm series way too much.....only this morning I had to think if I had enough action points to walk to my car, get in AND start the engine...or would I have to wait until my next turn !!! ........sad eh??? :D

a gap inbetween the top of the door and the floor/ceiling above.
What layers are you using? If Indermediate Floors or Indermediate Solids then a gap will appear. Use 'just' Floors or Solids (with Walls) -layers because parts will then be placed to standard lever/floor. Indermediate will be for inbetween/into the middle parts - useful when building stairs (for an example).

if I had enough action points to walk to my car, get in AND start the engine
It depends - are you going to run, walk, crouch or crawl? If run then you have an impairment chance to a well-aimed 'key-to-lock' hit. Next turn will be always available for tactics. :D

quote]What layers are you using? If Indermediate Floors or Indermediate Solids then a gap will appear. Use 'just' Floors or Solids (with Walls) -layers because parts will then be placed to standard lever/floor. Indermediate will be for inbetween/into the middle parts - useful when building stairs (for an example).

Hi KoMik,

Not sure what walls I'm using really ..erm.. FW21br.....if that makes any sence??

I dont think it's an intermediate wall though...have a look I've tried to attatch a pic.

Or can you recomend a wall to use?

Cheers

Tiger

untitled.bmp

Ah-haa, you are building a bit wrongly (but not bad not bad).

When placing doors, you 'should' use also door's contruction parts. You can find

current door's walls & frames from the Construction Kit > Walls > Doors > "...".

Then place the door (with caps lock on ... that helps).

Carry on :lovetammy:.

Construction Kit > Walls > Doors > "..."[/b].

Then place the door (with caps lock on ... that helps).

Carry on :lovetammy:.

Ah cool....thx KoMik

Another thing....how can I test my new house ( use a soldier and run around in it ) ???

Tiger

how can I test my new house

You can test your template if it's larger than 16x16 - as I recall. In the editor's main menu, there is small play button (>). Press it and test that paths are passable - do 'running arounds' here and there, shoot and destroy, open doors/windows etcetcetc.

You can test your template if it's larger than 16x16 - as I recall. In the editor's main menu, there is small play button (>). Press it and test that paths are passable - do 'running arounds' here and there, shoot and destroy, open doors/windows etcetcetc.

Ah ha...thanks matey.

Ok...one last question (for a while) I promise :D

I'm currenty in mid-build of a large asylum/prison thing (will try and get some screenshots here soon if anyone is interested :lovetammy: ) but I'm not really happy with the concrete wall colour, is there any way I can change it?

Also... how do I change the wall colour/wall paper inside different rooms?, would this be the same way???

Thanks so much for your time KoMik, I appreciate I must be well behind in my editor and modding knowledge. :D

Tiger

not really happy with the concrete wall colour, is there any way I can change it?
Sure.

Go to View > Building brushes and check it on. When on, there should be a small window in the upright corner (where is other windows as well). That window include slots: Material, Set 1, Set 2 etc. Material slot is for the 'one-sided painting' and other slots are for 'full parts paintings'. You can set the 'color' of building brushes by clicking the long Select button (it opens materials table for free selecting).

After select, seek & find a Brush tool button from the editor's main menu and click it on use. Now you can click the wall part which you want to paint and that's it.

Extra note: Near the Brush tool button there is a Material Selection Tool. By clicking it on use, you can select a material from any placed construction part (from your building) ... It works like a '(sucking)dropper'. Very useful when painting multisides (Set 1, Set 2, Set 3 etc). OR if you upload any orginal template and see an interesting wall material, you can 'copy' it to slot and use it for your own building.

Thanks so much for your time
No problem. Building maps is something what I know how to do (I can't say same if editing some other stuff in da editor). :lovetammy:

Thanks again KoMik.... the new map's looking pretty awesome now. :D

But.....( sorry to be a pain again :lovetammy: )

...I just can't seem to find stairs to fit.

I think there are 2 flights of stairs to 1 level. I can find the lower ones, ( starting at the ground level )

but they only go up half way. I can't find the ones starting in the middle of the level that reach to the first floor! Or, do I use the same steps and somehow raise their height by 0.5 somewhere???

Is this where "Intermediate" is used as you mentioned above?

I owe you some beers for all your help dude :D

Tiger

I can't find the ones starting in the middle of the level that reach to the first floor!

Yep, it's the same part which you may use. Place it to your template and do ...

At least two different ways:

1) Pudda caps lock on, select the object active, hold z-key & left mouse button and move mouse up/away from (like 'drag-up').

----> This should cause the object moving progressively upward/vertically. You need to do two 'click-ups'.

2) In the object's properties window there is a slot/value for DeltaZ. Write manually 1.25.

Note: You may use this also for stair's handles as well.

Is this where "Intermediate" is used as you mentioned above?

No. BUT intermediate floor is that what you need to 'passage connect' your stairs. Makes moving possible.

How to:

Add Indermediate floors layer to layer's window (use the blank paper icon/button), select a floor type which you wanna use by clicking a small box/slot in the layer's window (on the left side ... it opens the Construction Kit table to free selecting). Then hold ctrl and click left mouse button (use that 'yellow box pointer') to place a floor's part to the right place.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully you understood my bäd english. :lovetammy: