Research Troubles

bigred

I'm not sure if I'm just way ahead of the curve or my game is messed up but I'm having some problems iwth research...

My game date is 2nd of June 2040, I've exhausted my research tree for the second time. I have 250 scientists split 150/100 over 2 bases.

After the first time I ran out of research I used an editor to give myself a live alien and 2 weapons so that I could get the ball rolling again.

I'm not sure if I'm just researching way too fast or something is wrong with my game.

According to the tutorial doc at https://www.the-spoiler.com/STRATEGY/Microprose/xcom2.1.html

I should be able to research the Manta by now. I have plenty Ion Beam Accelerators and about 20 Alien Sub Construction peices in my stock room.

[i.B.A.] + [Alien Sub Construction] ==}

[Manta] --} (Manta)

Also I can't research Ion Armor/Mag Ion Armor even though I have the needed items.

[i.B.A.] + [Aqua Plastic armor] + [Live Deep One] -}

[ion Armor] ==} (Ion Armor)

Are there date limits before things can be researched?

Any ideas?

No, but there is requirement that certain objects be available and certain aliens researched at particular times after you've researched certain prerequisite items.

The reason you haven't obtained the Manta is because you don't have Mag Ion Armour, which is required, along with Sub Construction (the research item).

Let's break down the prerequisites for the Manta and their prerequisites.

Manta - Requires Sub Construction and Mag. Ion Armour

Sub Construction - Requires that you have a Sub Construction store item at the research base when you complete both Zrbite and the Transmission Resolver. In any order. If you don't, you'll have to reload from an earlier save or restart as you'll never get it again without the help of a research tree editor.

Zrbite - Zrbite's easy enough.

Transmission Resolver - Obtained after researching Magnetic Navigation

Magnetic Navigation - Old versions of TFTD required that you obtain a Lobsterman Navigator for this. With the v2 update (included in the Collectors Edition), you only need to get a Mag. Navigation sample in stores.

Mag. Ion Armour - Requires Ion Armour and Magnetic Navigation. In versions prior to the V2 update, it only needed Magnetic Navigation.

Ion Armour - For this, you MUST research a live Deep One after you've researched both Plastic Aqua Armour and Ion Beam Accelerators. If not, capture and research another one - if you can. If you cannot get another one up for research, seek the help of a research tree editor or restart the game.

Ion Beam Accelerators - Will become available the moment you get one. After the v2 update, it no longer appears for manufacture. This isn't much of a problem, just thought I'd mention it.

Plastic Aqua Armour - Needs Aqua Plastics

Aqua Plastics - Only requires the research of a Deep One Corpse. There's no need to actually own aqua plastics for this to become available.

- NKF

I have I.B.A., Sub Const, Mag Navi, Plastic A Armour, A Plastics, Trans Resolver, and Zrbite all in stock and or researched. (Basically I have all the pre-rec's you mentioned) I researched a Live Deep One before I got Aqua Plastics/Armour. After reading this I used an editor to add a Live Deep One to my containment but I couldn't re-research it...

For some reason I can't research Mag Ion Armour... I really really don't want to restart and unfortunatly I don't have any saves that go back beyond a week (game time).

What editors can I use to adjust my research tree?

I really want to get through this game. I played it when it first came out (~10 years ago), at the time I was 13 or 14. I never finished the game (I realize now, because I didn't actively capture live aliens, or manage my money propery). This time around I really want to finish the game, but if I have to scrap my saves I don't know if I'd have the energy to redo those Land and (especially the) Shipping Lane missions...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, one suggestion is to check the following site:

https://paralight.ru/xcom/

You can also check the following on the Xenocide forums:

https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242025135

You don't need to be a member to access the tech support forums, so you should be able to go to the thread I've linked without trouble. If not, you'll have to wait until the admins have fixed their minor problem with new user registration.

Just make a note for the next time you decide to play through the game.

1. Deep One after IBA and aqua armour

2. Sub Construction and MC. Reader in storage at the research base at all times until you've researched them.

3. Do not research a Tasoth Commander if it ever appears for research until you get the Leviathan. Normally you'll never get it, but if you do, do not touch it.

There's a note on the first link regarding zrbite and disrupter pulser launchers. Personally, I've never had any trouble with them, as they tend to appear after any random research as long as zrbite is available. I think the last time I enabled them was with the craft gauss cannon. In any case, it's not as bad is the last three points.

- NKF

edit: Oh, and one more thing. It's not a bug that'll stop you from playing the game, but I thought I'd include this note so that you don't have to raid too many Dreadnaughts or Alien Colonies. To win the game, you need to have a Lobsterman Navigator and a Lobsterman Commander, or two Lobsterman Commanders. Before your research the navigator or your first commander, make sure you've got Alien Origins. Before you research the second lobsterman commander make sure you've got the Hammerhead and The Ultimate Threat (which you can get from the nav. + alien origins or a commander + alien origins). This kills two birds with one stone and nets you both the Leviathan and a bit of research that'll take you another step closer to the end-game mission.

• 7 years later...
NTK, thanks for the links to patch pages. I've found a research trap which no one else has reported. I can't research the Sonic Oscilator (Quick - someone get Dr. Frankenfurter!), and thus also can't research the P.W.T. Cannon. If I don't find anything else among other posts, I'll start a new thread with all details, and will hopefully be able to attach a saved game file.