Base building

Frag-ile

Hello everyone.

Thanks for all the help with the patch info last time I posted.

Now I thought I'd ask your advice on a matter that I've been pondering for a while. Namely, does anyone know how large an area a long range sonar or transmission resolver really covers on the map?

How close together should you build bases to have a good covarage?

Does multiple sonars or transmission resolvers give you a better result or is more than one just superfluous?

I'm told there's no point in having more then one short and one long range radar. Adding more does not increase the range, best I can make out is it increases the chance of spotting the enemy within that range.

The Tranmission Resolver makes your radar units obsolete. One of those is all a base will ever need.

In order to see the range of your base, just wait for a USO to turn up, then don't intercept it. When it goes out of sight, you know the limits.

For the actual distances involved, well, there is an obvious discrepancy between what the game lists and what the OSG for TFTD shows.

----Distance----
Sonar Type			   Game		 OSG
Standard Sonar		   450km		500nm
Wide Array Sonar		 700km		750nm
Transmission Resolver	N.A.		 800nm

Remember that nm stands for "nautical miles" not "nanometers"! ;)

Someone doesn't know how to convert km to nm (or visa versa). In any event, how these numbers equate to the game map is rather difficult to determine. These distances do not cover as far as the X-COM equivalents, that's for sure. :cool:

- Zombie

We did have an ancient thread with nice screenshots depicting the exact radar scanning and tracking ranges. Unfortunately, I get the feeling this was on a previous incarnation of the forum. Who knows if it's still archived? Ah well. Would've been nice to grab and put onto the Wiki. As the sonars and radars are basically the same thing, the range would've applied.

---

Speaking of radars in UFO, here's my take on them.

I keep using Novosibirsk as a reference point when giving a rough estimate for the radars. I'll use it again.

From Novosibirsk, a small radar can detect all the way to Moscow, the Large radar can go to Berlin, and the Hyperwave decoder can go to London and probably beyond.

Hmm. That's not terribly conclusive, but it does show that the small radar, though it's small, can cover quite a fair amount of area.

I haven't got a location parallel for TFTD though.

- NKF

thanks for all the answers.

I checked back in the forum to find the mentioned post, didn't find it, but I found something else.

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=791

In that topic they kind of say the oposit of what you are saying now, that multiple sonars not only stack detection ratio but also that it increases its range. Someone also seems ot claim that the Trans. resolver dont have a range of its own but need a sonar to work?

No, there's no point in making more then one.

Yeah, I realized that, unfortunately it was to late as it was already built. :cool: I don't need to say that I'm not in a very good financial position, 6-7 countries have already quit, luckily I'm approaching the end soon.

In that topic they kind of say the oposit of what you are saying now, that multiple sonars not only stack detection ratio but also that it increases its range. Someone also seems ot claim that the Trans. resolver dont have a range of its own but need a sonar to work?

I also had the same impression about the Transmission Resolver. When I dismantled the large and small radars, it wouldn't work.

uriaheep: And in comparison with the values used by the game itself:

Small Sonar: Short Range: 10 Long Range: 0 Trans-Resolver: 0

Large Sonar: Short Range: 20 Long Range: 20 Trans-Resolver: 0

Transmission Resolver: Short Range: 0 Long Range: 0 Trans-Resolver: 100

The above are for the detection ability, not the length. The transmission resolver matches the detection percentage listed.

Well, actually, I got those values from UFO. I really need to double check them in a TFTD safe file some day.

- NKF