Base names...

Gimli

Firstly, I need some names for my bases. Some that sound nice, like the ones you can see in Star Trek (but not exactly those of course). Right now I have: Defiance, Hope, Phoenix and Dominance. What names do you use?

Secondly, I found some pictures, I don't know if they're from Last Hope, but I don't think so, since I haven't seen them in the gallery at moddb. They are from some X-COM maps for Counter Strike. You can find them here.

And the pictures themselves:

https://nipper.rocks-hideout.com/screens/xcom_terror1.jpg

https://nipper.rocks-hideout.com/screens/xcom_abduction1.jpg

I usually name my bases in one of two ways. The first is using names associated with the Roswell incident:

• Roswell
  • Area 51
  • Groom Lake
  • Hangar 8
  • White Sands
  • S - 4
  • Greek Island
  • Blue Book

I am also very partial to "Purity Control", a term used in the X-Files.

The other way I name bases is rather uninspiring: I adopt the naming scheme from the Unofficial Strategy Guide. It rather simple: a base in Africa is named "AfriCom", a base in Europe is named "EuroCom"... basically, you name according to region and then tack "Com" at the end. :cool:

Nice pics BTW! ;)

- Zombie

Mmm, I go a bit deeper. I train and equip special forces and keep them at specific bases, ie. my assault force are called SDU so their base is X-COM SDU. My snatch squad are called AIF so their base is X-COM AIF and so on, of course there is also X-COM HQ which is my first base.

I name them as binary numbers. Best guess, these aliens have developed computer systems that have jumped far beyond the primitive on/off structure that we do. As the last bastion of human defense, I poudly display our primitivist nature. Also, I ripped it frm the Animatrix.

Binary numbers? How do you tell your bases apart? All those 1's and 0's start to look the same after a while. :cool:

- Zombie

It helps if you don't need to include the leading zeroes.

Apart from the global ship launch menu and transferring objects between bases giving mild headaches, I suppose it could work. :cool:

No point in doing the above in base-16 or base-8.

- NKF

Binary names? Well overtime you can get use to it...not what I would reccomend to anyone though..

Names are usually drawn up by organizations I make up in my Aurora story for Ufo2000.

Base-1: ZERO

Base-2: RECON

Base-3: IMP

I haven't built more than 3 bases for actual gameplay I am afraid.

• 7 years later...

I know, I know, major necro. ;)

I am also very partial to "Purity Control", a term used in the X-Files.

I just happened to watch an X-Files episode today (first episode I've seen in about 10 years or more) and it was the one with "Purity Control" in it. That brought back a lot of good memories. In case any of you haven't seen it, it's Season 1, Episode 24 named The Erlenmeyer Flask. It's got a great one-liner from Scully too: Looks at reddish liquid in flask (with "Purity Control" label at the bottom) and says to Mulder: "I'm warning you, if this is monkey pee, you're on your own" (they are in a lab, where monkeys were being injected with this liquid apparently). :)

- Zombie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Typically just name them after a nearby city, but in one game I named them after gods or mythology figures of the region they were located in, so I had strike base SHIVA in India, main base ZEUS in Europe,that kind of thing.

I also like to put a base in Antarctica called McMurdo, after John Carpenter's superb movie The Thing.

And in a nod to the game's roots in the UFO TV series I like to put a base in southern England called SHEPPERTON or just SHADO.