X-Com Collector's Edition

Boomer

Ok...  I got the game to work at least semi-smooth on XP with the hardware accel toned down, and running in compatibility mode... but the game still runs TERRIBLY FAST.  I can't even scroll around in the battlescape, I can't shoot down UFOs because the interception goes so fast they just escape.  WTF?

Have you tried Turbo yet?

https://www.xcomufo.com/turbo.zip

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm wondering...Could someone make a game on eginner with one base in Europe and nothing lse done to it for me? When I did it before, I didn't know about hardware acceleration, so it might work. Very doubtfully, but it might. Contact information should be in my profile.

surely.... but your the contact details required to send such things are not in your profile (email addresses are not visible... and the via forum mail thingy does do attachments).

send me a pm with your email address and i'll send it to you.

Bleh. I got your E-Mail, and replaced the files (Missdat was indeed missing a few), but now whenever I step off the skyranger, the mission ends and it gives me the stats of the last mission you did, which was apparently a Terror mission, and gives me the transport you used, which is useless since I have no elerium.

XComutil fixes or works around plenty of things, but the crash as you step out of the skyranger bug (and various battlescape related mystery crashes) isn't one of them. XComutil can only work on files in between the game's two primary executables. It can't do anything about memory leaks and other logic errors that occur during the execution of the game.

- NKF

A little off topic and outright blatant advertising: I've created a little archive of some of the previous avatars I used on this forum. It's on my crummy Yahoo!Geocities webpage (currently accessible via my www link -- I think I got the URL right this time. I'd inserted an extra directory name when I hadn't been using one). If anyone's interested...well, there you go.

He means the mode-13h text appearing on the screen. It's just a memory dump to show where the error occured. Sadly, to us mere mortals, it's gibberish. Assembly gurus might find it interesting.

Sometimes you get the text, sometimes you don't. Either way the current game executable was terminated. The text normally appears when the program exits because of an error of some sort (divide by zero, memory overflow, general protection fault, etc).

What's happening is that you've gone from one bug, only to come face to face with another bug that's plagued most X-Com UFO players for ages. From various responses here and there, the most common method for clearing this problem is to restart the computer. Others mention that the problem just clears up after a while. There aren't any specific solutions for this bug, so it's hard to say how you'll get this problem fixed.

Here's a thought -- for the Skyranger, it's usually the spot immediately after the equipment pile that causes the crash. Try moving on the right side when disembarking. It might not help your case in particular, but it's worth a try. It's a million to one chance, but it just might work.

- NKF

Nope.

There's something odd I've forgotten to mention...Whenever I skip the intro, red lines, almost looking like small-font red text, pops up for a moment then it goes to the language-selection thingy. The same thing happens when I exit the equipment screen at the start of a battle, except it's green. Eh, doesn't matter. Guess this computer just won't run it. I wish XP didn't come standard. And those bastards on the HP support line told me that XP won't cause any sort of compatibility issues with any programs before we bought it.

Well, the first time, it ended the battle with the results from a previous one, but I kept trying to play anyway. As soon as I sent an Interceptor out after an UFO, that green text came up again and I was back at the equipment screen of the last battle. I shut it off at that point.

Well, doesn't matter now. I got a copy of the CE version of UFO defense. A friend of mine sent it to me. Dunno where he got it.

It works perfectly, other than the rare crash when I get off the skyranger.