X-Com Collector's Edition

Boomer

Hi everyone

I've recently tried to run UFo under XP with absolutely no success whatsoever. I have a couple of mates who have the Collectors edition and run it fine on ME, I think.

Just wondering, if anyone knows, does the Collectors edition work on Windows XP. If not I'll be reduced to using the PII 300 at ome solely for X-Com usage :( .

Thanks for any responses

Andy :devil:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CE runs great on XP except for an occasional crash that never seems to be repeated when I restart. Only problem I seem to be having is getting xcomutil to run. :( I have another thread about that, so I won't go into it here, but it's annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine just enlightened me on a new way of getting older programs to work with XP:

If you right-click on the ufo.exe program, go to properties. There will be a tab called "compatibility." Click on it. Now you can choose an option to run the program under say, Windows 95, and it will sort of emulate Win95. Haven't tried it myself, but he says he's done it. I've yet to install X-COM on my new comp.

Let me know if this helped!

Here's a hint - look in the darned support and FAQ forums (more specifically the topic in the FAQ forum to do with running UFO in XP.

If you've done the compatability bit and itstill doesn't work, then read the rest of that topic for the hardware accelleration bit.

If all else fails, read the help forums eh guys? :(

I'm running it on XP, with 384 MB of Ram, and a 1.1GHZ Celeron.

I was able to copy a savegame form another computer onto this one, but when I went into a battle, it crashed as soon as I stepped off the transport.

I've heard of other running this on XP, so I'd like to know if there's a way witout having to find a copy of 95 and VirtualPC.

Actually, I've been asking the same thing since I've been here, even at the old board, and I've yet to get much beyond people telling me to fiddle with the compatibility or to get rid of XP and get 98.

Well you see it works fine on my XP (using X-COM Collector's Edition) machine after turnung the hardware accelleration down and doing the compatability mode fiddle...

Checking to see if there's anything else I missed.

What version of the game are you using?

Specifically, when I click on a location for the base, it shows this:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

CS:0000 IP:0077 OP:f0 35 05 0c 02 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

European or US? (Doubt this makes a dirfference).

The EU edition will have the game with it's original title of "UFO: Enemy Unknown" whereas the US edition will have it labelled as "X-COM UFO Defence".

(BTW, if you want to post something after you've just posted, try editing your post rather than double posting. All it does is slow the forums down).

Well it's worth trying everything in my experience. It sounds like there's some conflict happening with your CPU, so it could be something to do with speed/graphics or anything really.

trust Windows to be so helpful and informative eh? :(