TFTD Need help with the v2.1 patch

Frag-ile

So.

I've browsed the forum for a while and did find a few threads sortof asking what I want to know.

But none really got a sufficient answer.

So I'll ask again and hope that someone might come to my resque.

I got the floppy version of X-com 2 and I'm looking to try the 2.1 patch on it.

Now as others have stated there's not much explanation on how to apply the patch so, if anyone would care to explain it to me meticulously I'd be so very thrilled.

So first of all, how do you actually install the patch and secondly is there any good way of determining that the patch is in fact in effect?

Thank you.

Also, hello everyone. Nice to see there's still a thriving Xcom community out here.

Welcome Frag-ile! :cool:

Okay, here's what you do. Since you have the floppy version, I won't have to go through all the steps.

After downloading the 2.1 patch, look in the TFTD_v2.1 folder. You are going to need these items:

1. TFTDHD folder
  2. UPDATE.COM
  3. TFTDHD.EXE

Extract or copy these items into your TFTD directory.

Next, double click on the TFTDHD.EXE icon. This will extract the contents of the TFTDHD folder to your TFTD directory. Now you will see a few more files there like GEOSCAPE.EXE, TACTICAL.EXE, a README file and OBDATA.DAT. I'm unsure if this is necessary, but move OBDATA.DAT into your GEODATA folder. This should replace the contents of the old OBDATA.DAT file.

Get yourself into a DOS screen with a command prompt. Navigate your way to your TFTD directory. Type the following at the command line: UPDATE HD. If successful, a screen should come up saying "FILES HAVE BEEN UPDATED". Keep hitting any key until the readme info has been shown. This brings you back to the DOS prompt.

That should be it. Double click on the Terror From The Deep executable to play the game with the updated changes. ;)

- Zombie

It would seem you need to extract the patch into your game folder, then open up a command prompt in that directory and type:

update hd

Not sure how you'd check the game version afterwards, sorry.

Edit: Oops! Zombie beat me to it. That'll teach me to leave the window open so long before hitting 'reply'! :cool:

Well, to check if it was successful you actually need to play the game until you get to MC technology. If the fix worked, the MC bug should be fixed:

You no longer have to have [a M.C. Reader] in stock at the time M.C. Lab is finished. It will be available after M.C. Lab as soon as a M.C. Reader is in your stores.

- Zombie

Thank's alot everyone, I managed to apply the patch.

I figured out a quicker way to see if its in effect too.

In the unpatched version, your subs wouldn't reload automaticly when you buy new ammo, if you didn't have enough ammo at home when they returned. In the patched version they do. So that's one pretty easy way to see the patch is in effect.

One other way to tell if the patch is in effect:

Ion Beam Accelerators will be available for research straight away when you have them in stores. Before the patch, you had to get a Lobsterman Navigator to get it - which stopped you from getting Ion Armour for quite some time. One other side effect is that you'll no longer be able to manufacture them. This is an oversight in the patch, I think, but not a serious one.

- NKF

• 9 years later...

I hope people here dont mind if I revive this ancient thread, but I'm having trouble updating the game using the instructions posted here.

Welcome Frag-ile! cool.png

Okay, here's what you do. Since you have the floppy version, I won't have to go through all the steps.

After downloading the 2.1 patch, look in the TFTD_v2.1 folder. You are going to need these items:

1. TFTDHD folder
  2. UPDATE.COM
  3. TFTDHD.EXE

Extract or copy these items into your TFTD directory.

Next, double click on the TFTDHD.EXE icon. This will extract the contents of the TFTDHD folder to your TFTD directory. Now you will see a few more files there like GEOSCAPE.EXE, TACTICAL.EXE, a README file and OBDATA.DAT. I'm unsure if this is necessary, but move OBDATA.DAT into your GEODATA folder. This should replace the contents of the old OBDATA.DAT file.

Get yourself into a DOS screen with a command prompt. Navigate your way to your TFTD directory. Type the following at the command line: UPDATE HD. If successful, a screen should come up saying "FILES HAVE BEEN UPDATED". Keep hitting any key until the readme info has been shown. This brings you back to the DOS prompt.

That should be it. Double click on the Terror From The Deep executable to play the game with the updated changes. wink.png

- Zombie

I followed these instruction and they would probably have worked fine if not for one problem.

The files are not 64 bit compatible, obviously.

When I run the TFTDHD.exe file in windows I get a message saying its not compatible with my windows version.

Its then suggested I look in some system information to see if I need a 32 bit or 64 bit version.

Its a problem I have encountered with many older games, where I am unable to run 32 bit binaries on a 64 bit system.

I also tried running the update.exe from the command prompt wihtout running the TFTDHD.exe first.

This gave me an error saying the file is incompatible with my 64 bit system and to look for a 64 but version.

Basically it sounds to me like I need a 64 bit version of the update, unless there is a workaround for this.

Does anyone know if there is a way to solve this?