Xcom Editors

XcomRocks

:cool: I don't know if this was from EU or TFTD but I recall once having an editor that allowed me to change the stats on weapons mounted on the ships (Interceptor etc).

I have a bunch of editors that allow me to change the stats of the soldier equipement (& I think that also means that of the tanks) & that is very important. The added depth of improving weapons as you progress is very important. You research all kinds of different alien corpses & weapons & the idea that new ordanace or new targeting systems can then be developed for old weapons is great (its what I use the editors for).

When I played the games years ago I remember being able to edit the aircraft/ship weapons (plasma beam, Laser Cannon those missles etc) but now I can't seem to find the tool.

Help

ps(I seem to recall that it was a dos & text based program if that helps)

Hello and welcome to the forums, XcomRocks! ;)

I have a huge collection of X-COM editors, but none of them are able to edit craft weapons. I'm not sure if XcomUtil or the ClarkWehyr editor can do what you ask either. I don't use them, so don't quote me here.

I haven't went through my TFTD editors yet, but I doubt any of them have that capability.

The problem is that the craft weapon data is located in the main executable (possibly geoscape.exe if the main exe is split), and few people have taken the time to understand/utilize that info in editor designs. We now know where the data is, so it's just a matter of time before that (as well as tank info) is integrated in an editor.

Let me take a closer look around though. We might just get lucky. :cool:

- Zombie

XCOMUtil v9.6 can do some stuff with the ships, there're layouts of ship data in the xcomutil.cfg file, but I don't mess with that much so dunno what it does. Zombie, you should take a look at this editor though, I won't play either of the first two games without it. Its not as much an editor as it is an organizational & logistics tool to be used as you play. I've been using it since .... I can't remember. A really early version. :cool:

:) Lets start off by saying thank you very much for your timely response & for the welcome! I was checking my email for the response but I guess I didn't check that option.

Xcom has a LOT of great content & background implied that I love. A group of government officials pool some recources as they see evidence of the coming threat & instruct with "search" "destroy" "you're humanities las hope" & throw in the human operators in the nuke silo cliche & boom you're playing a game of survival with a globe in front of you. (Very cool! :cool: )

Now that I've got a feel for the direction of the replies here's what I have. The following is a "screenshot" of a dos editor filename "XC2ME2.EXE":

XCOM 2 Multi Editor v0.2 by Khor Chin Heong (khor@kch.pl.my)

1. Weapon Editor

2. Ammo Editor

3. Armor Editor

4. Alien Containment Editor

5. Base Facility Editor

6. Sub Editor

7. Sub Weapon Editor

8. Alien Editor

Select (0-exit):

I have the windows version of Xcom1 & when I select option 7 it says: "Error opening ufoexe\geoscape.exe" which I expect is a part of the Dos version. This may actually be the editor I'm looking for but I don't recall ever having a different/another version of this game.

The other one I have is a shareware one filename "XCOM2ED.EXE" "Xcom II Terror From The Deep EDITOR V.1.1, 1995 Arrow Computer Services". Some of the items that are unlocked for the registerd versions are "TANKS AND ARMOUR AQUANAUTS" and " SUBS & SUB WEAPONS". I haven't tried registering it of course ;-)

I checked the editors mentioned & changing the characteristics of a sub/plane weapon does not appear to be an option... & apparantly my email address is correct & I didn't get notification... I'll have to check my spam settings ;)

This is where I am, I hope that helps & thanks again for the reply & assistance Zombie & Mazdek.

Yup, XC2ME2.EXE has Sub Weapons listed as a viable option. However, this still is an editor made for TFTD. Some options just are not possible for UFO since the offsets for ufodefense.exe/geoscape.exe should not match.

I was looking at the xcomufo forums and found this:

i am looking for an xcom1 editor to, for ships, alien stats and this.

the xc2me2 i got, will work with xcom1 CE version but only the weapons and the armors.

to get it work, you must make an ufoexe dir in your ufo1 dir, then copy the ufo defense.exe to it, rename it to geoscape.exe, start the xc2me2 editor, edit what you want (the ship weapons patch point is not found badly)

after saving, just rename the geoscape.exe to ufo defense.exe and move it back to maindirectory from ufo1

or you have to edit the ship weapons manually by hexedit the ufo defense.exe

i'm still looking to find these values in the exe

It sounds like it may be possible to use this editor to force a change in UFO. Still, I never tried this option since it seems to be a lot of work. ;)

Heck, what I have been doing lately is to just assign 2 Fusion Ball Launchers for an Avenger, then use Hatfarm's latest editor to crank the ammo up to 100. Who cares if it takes so long to reload when you are dishing out 460 damage points per dual shot. Battleships fall easily with 4 salvoes. :cool:

- Zombie

I have the windows version of Xcom1 & when I select option 7 it says: "Error opening ufoexe\geoscape.exe" which I expect is a part of the Dos version.

XCOMUTIL might help with this. It splits the .EXE back into two files for the Collectors Edition of X-COM and TFTD for its own purposes. Back up your game folder and see if it will fix xc2me2 as a side effect. :cool:

The sub editors in XC2ME2 that change the executable will not work with the collectors edition because it was designed for the Dos version of the game, which has completely different value offsets. It'll still work with the CE editions, but only on the files that are the same throughout the games, like the file that stores weapons (obdata.dat).

The collectors edition consolidates both executables into the one and has a Win32 executable stub at the start of the file to bind everything together (and somehow passes the game through the DirectX library).

XComutil doesn't really split the CE executable into its two original parts. Instead it makes two exact copies of the same file, but the entry and exit points are at different locations so that they function like the original executables.

- NKF