My vote went for the Heavy Plasma because the question asks "What Is The Best Weapon In UFO?", not
"What is your favorite weapon?". The heavy plasma rules superior to any other weapon in this game for many reasons.
- It has 35 rounds per clip, so very rarely does a soldier run out mid-mission.
- Even though the heavy plasma is considered a "heavy weapon", it does not act like one. Fully loaded, it weighs in less than the heavy cannon, auto cannon and heavy laser.
- This is the only "heavy" weapon in the game that has an auto shot! Well, the auto cannon also has an auto shot but it is considered a "boarderline" heavy weapon.
- With 115 points of damage, a couple of hits can kill practically anything.
- The aimed shot for the heavy plasma is 110%, at least 20% more accurate than the heavy cannon, auto cannon or heavy laser. (The rocket launcher equals the heavy plasmas accuracy for the aimed shot at 110%).
- One of the few weapons which can punch through alien alloy walls (not hulls) and shoot out an alien power source.
- Few alien species are resistant to plasma fire. Plasma bolts do normal damage to everything except Sectopods and Zombies.
I could go on and on about the heavy plasmas strengths but I think you get the idea.
So what is my favorite
weapon? It has to be... the Laser Pistol, although any laser weapon is game in my book! I always equip my heavy weapons folk with a laser pistol in case they run out of ammo, or when they attack the inside of a UFO. Snipers always get a Laser Rifle. For soldiers with enough strength, the heavy laser packs a wallop when used at point-blank-range.
My second favorite weapon? It is not really a weapon at all, it is the lowly stun rod! Almost every mission one of my soldiers gets to use one somewhere. I am completely confident when using a stun rod and never cringe when someone utters its name. Practice makes perfect (not to toot my own horn or anything)!
The heavy plasma is #3 in my book for the reasons listed above.
Happy shootin' everyone!