What Is The Best Weapon In UFO?

Jman4117

Just wanted to know what others thought X-Com's best weapon was.

My favorite is the heavy laser but the blaster launcher is a close second.

Heavy laser is good sniper weapon (accurate and powerful). Blaster bombs make huge craters and have about a 15m kill radius.

I'm of the belief that there's no such thing as a best weapon. However, there is such a thing as a best weapon based on category.

You might want to evaluate weapons by:

- Firing speed

- Accuracy

- Raw stopping power

- Weapon weight

- Ammunition capacity

- Price (elerium, alloys, $$$)

- Availability (how easy it is to obtain)

- Etc.

Here are the top 3 weapons by the accuracy and firing speed categories (also divided into their respective firing modes).

Best Accuracy

Launch

1. Blaster Launcher (based on your waypoint plotting skill)

(Only one in its category, since, well, it's special. :tank: )

Aimed

1. Rocket Launcher (115%)

2. Rifle, Heavy Plasma, Small Launcher (all tied at 110%)

3. Plasma rifle (100%)

Snap

1. Plasma Rifle (86%)

2. Heavy Plasma (75%)

3. Small Launcher, Plasma Pistol, Laser Rifle (tied at 65%)

Auto

1. Plasma Rifle (55%)

2. Heavy Plasma, Plasma Pistol (Tied at 50%)

3. Laser Rifle (46%)

Fastest

Aimed

1. Pistol (30%)

2. Laser Pistol (35%)

3. Laser Rifle (50%)

Snap

1. Pistol (18%)

2. Laser Pistol (20%)

3. Laser Rifle (25%)

Auto

1. Laser Pistol (25%)

2. Plasma Pistol(30%)

3. Laser Rifle (34%)

The best damage based on the damage type will always be the biggest gun in any particular series of weapons. Of course, some damage types may prove to be far more effective against certain aliens than others.

For example: Lasers generally do double their standard damage to sectopods, and Chryssalids receive only half the normal damage from high explosives. Stun bombs (and other explosive type weaponry) are extra effective against large terror units on account of them occupying 4 tiles, etc.

----

In the end, I feel all it really boils down to is using the right weapon for the right task.

All things considered though, the best balance of speed, firepower, accuracy, etc, must go to both the laser rifle and the heavy plasma. They are, of course, the de-facto all-round most favoured of weapons. I bow to their general superiority.

- NKF

(Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit weird. I've got some of the weapon stats listed on an Excel sheet simply for comparison purposes :P )

I'm personally a 'Heavy Plasma' guy.

The words 'heavy' and 'plasma' in the same word is for me too hard to ignore. But accuracy and power, and the fact that most aliens pack a hvy plasma later on in the game means that I have to worry less about the spare clips.

On the other hand the laser rifle has to be my favourite weapon, you only need a rifle and no spares...mmm...no spare clips needed...

Just for fun I picked the Blaster Launcher this time. With plenty of ammo, it's the in-game equivalent of "nuke the site from orbit". You don't recover much, but your soldiers won't have nightmares anymore.

Blaster Launcher tactics: a brief guide.

Building: Nuke it.

Orchard: Nuke it.

Underground bases: Nuke large rooms first.

UFO: Punch a hole in the bridge, then send in a second bomb to nuke it.

:bomber: JFG

Instinctively I'd say Heavy Plasma... It's a good all purpose weapon... Now I'm at the end of the game though I tend to rely on two plasma hovertanks to do the work for me... I usually sit in the Avenger with a squad of Blaster Launcher wielding psiguys... I've said Blaster launcher...

Voted for laser rifle because I always forget to resupply my troops with new clips :tank:. In the early stages of the game a laser pistol is good for entering UFO's. It lets you walk in a room, fire autoshots 2 or 3 times and an agent with a lot of time units can even get out of the room again.

i voted for the rifle, though it lacks punching power it doesn't weigh as much as the laser rifle. therefore i can carry one or two more grenades. i also like that you can buy them instead of manufacture them so i always keep a huge stock pile of rifles and ammunition. all in all they are just cheaper to use in the short run, but laser rifles will eventually pay for themselves...but not soon enough to notice.

having said that... it wouldn't take too long for it to save that much by the fact of it having the power to kill the terror units (and saving you $20,000 that you'd have spent on a new soldier)

My preference is for the pistol over the rifle. I could get rather prosy over the 'why's', but I'll try to summarise.

- The rifle deals 20 damage, the pistol 16. That's just -4 points. Not much difference to lightly armoured aliens.

- Snapshot accuracy is identical to the rifle and heavy cannon (60%)

- Snapshot cost is 18% (that's 5 bullets per turn, excellent for reaction fire).

- All weapons in the game can be fired at any range.

- One handed.

- It's cheap. No denying that.

- It's got that "Haha, I beat you with a pistol" feel all over it. :tank:

That's not to say the rifle doesn't have its merits. Its got burst fire and a very accurate aimed shot.

You just have to watch the type of aliens you're fighting though. Too much armour and the rifles and pistols become useless. This is quite true for quite a number of the terror units. Hence why it's always a good idea to compliment them with something more powerful. Even a laser pistol is enough to take on almost all types of terror units, the laser rifle hurts all of them.

It's nice the way the weapon balance in UFO is such that you can get away with it for quite a long time with starting level equipment. The same cannot be said about TFTD though, particularly when the lobstermen show up.

- NKF

My troops always have a laser with them. The heavy weapons soldiers have laser pistols for backup, the standard trooper has a laser rifle, and the snipers have heavy lasers just in case I need a one shot kill (any thing but muton possibly 3 shots) across the map.

• 10 months later...

BLASTER LAUNCHERS ALL THE WAY!!!

I'm a addict to the tactic jellyfishgreen stated above. :devil:

And blaster Launchers are great all purpose weapons.

(If you have atleast two guys equipped with them and nothing but bombs)

Cleraing LZ: Let your other guys shoot any alien right in front of the exit of your landing vehicel, than nuke the surrounding area. (Does even a better job than smoke nades)

Long range combat: Just nuke them. ;)

In building combat. Leave building, nuke it. :)

Close combamt: You just don't get into close combat. Except when you are in a landed ufo and want to save the power units. For any other purpose have a hover tank scout out the area, and when it spots an alien nuke it from the other side of the map.

Alien base: Stay in the elevators and nuke it. (Have a tank scouting)

Terror mission: Nuke around. Watch out a bit that you don't kill too much civlians.

I absolutly love that things.

And for defending my own base and around intact power units I use heavy plasma.

ImO early in the game pistols are much better, than any other weapons.

Just give everyone a nade and a pistol and I am doing fine for the first 4 missions.

The best thing about pistols is, that you usually dont run out of TU and throwing nades is cheap as well (usually not more than 18 TU).

Even their reaction fire can be pretty usefull. Especially when firering more than 5 times.

Pistols are pretty usefull and loveable. Though I am running around with Heavy Plasma for everyone, as soon as it is available.

Overall it's a draw. HP just has the greatest punch and pistols :) I just love them. ;)

Woah, necro... but I haven't even voted on this one! https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/blink.gif

On TFTD the Thermal Disrupter Launcher is best because there are a lot more of them in aliens hands. With MC skill, this is very much in your favour.

This isn't the case in UFO, where I tend to rely on the Heavy Plasma. Although it requires ammo, you generally won't go through a clip per mission, so that's alright.

My vote went for the Heavy Plasma because the question asks "What Is The Best Weapon In UFO?", not "What is your favorite weapon?". The heavy plasma rules superior to any other weapon in this game for many reasons.

- It has 35 rounds per clip, so very rarely does a soldier run out mid-mission.

- Even though the heavy plasma is considered a "heavy weapon", it does not act like one. Fully loaded, it weighs in less than the heavy cannon, auto cannon and heavy laser.

- This is the only "heavy" weapon in the game that has an auto shot! Well, the auto cannon also has an auto shot but it is considered a "boarderline" heavy weapon.

- With 115 points of damage, a couple of hits can kill practically anything.

- The aimed shot for the heavy plasma is 110%, at least 20% more accurate than the heavy cannon, auto cannon or heavy laser. (The rocket launcher equals the heavy plasmas accuracy for the aimed shot at 110%).

- One of the few weapons which can punch through alien alloy walls (not hulls) and shoot out an alien power source.

- Few alien species are resistant to plasma fire. Plasma bolts do normal damage to everything except Sectopods and Zombies.

I could go on and on about the heavy plasmas strengths but I think you get the idea.

So what is my favorite weapon? It has to be... the Laser Pistol, although any laser weapon is game in my book! I always equip my heavy weapons folk with a laser pistol in case they run out of ammo, or when they attack the inside of a UFO. Snipers always get a Laser Rifle. For soldiers with enough strength, the heavy laser packs a wallop when used at point-blank-range.

My second favorite weapon? It is not really a weapon at all, it is the lowly stun rod! Almost every mission one of my soldiers gets to use one somewhere. I am completely confident when using a stun rod and never cringe when someone utters its name. Practice makes perfect (not to toot my own horn or anything)! ;)

The heavy plasma is #3 in my book for the reasons listed above.

Happy shootin' everyone! :)