Firearm Accessory Operation

sandstig

Playing the game for the first time and not downloading the tech tree, I started wondering why I couldn't build any gryo stabilizers. Turns out I need to research "Firearm Accessory Operation" before "Firearm Accessory Blueprints". Is there any way I can research "Firearm Accessory Operation" again without having to start the game from scratch?

I'll see if I can research them again once I build some USGs and lasersights. If I still can't build gyro-stabilizers by then, I guess I'll just find a way to edit the savegame. Anyone else had similar experiences?

According to the tech tree that Thaq posted, this isn't the only time you have to be careful with what you research first:

Basic Weapon Lab

• Researching Blowpipe Blueprints will remove Airgun Skills if you haven't already researched it
  • Researching Firearm Accessory Blueprints will remove Firearm Accessory Operation if you haven't already researched it
  • Researching Basic Mine Blueprints will remove Mine Operation if you haven't already researched it

Detection Lab

• Researching Basic Cloak Blueprints will remove Cloak Operation if you haven't already researched it
  • Researching Basic Scanner Blueprints will remove Scanner Operation if you haven't already researched it

Energy Weapon Lab

• Researching Plasma Weapon Blueprints will remove Plasma Weapon Operation if you haven't already researched it

Jet Propulsion Lab

• Increased Laputa Speed and Increased Laputa Range are mutually exclusive, then again, at least the descriptions of these two items in the Research screen warn you that "this could prevent us from further upgrades"

Psionics Lab

• Researching Psi Weapon Blueprints will remove Psionic Weapon Operation if you haven't already researched it

i have the same problem, i cant manufacture gyrostabilizer because firearm accessory operation disappeared

It seems that you need to always research first ++++operation and then ++++blueprints...

Dont know if it can be solved by editing a save game but if someone could find away to solve that bug without a new patch from altar it would be great

Not sure if it can really be called a bug, seems more like a badly thought out feature. Would've been nice if there was a warning when you research the blueprints, pretty frustrating if it's the first time you're playing and this happens to you.

I think researching blueprints automatically grants knowledge to operate certain device. Imagine scientists telling you "We managed to design these nifty sniper scopes, but we have absolutely no clue how to operate them." :lovetammy:

As to whether skipping Firearm Accessory Operation can halt tech tree progression, I don't know. The "makes research unavailable" was my personal guess for the meaning of "Neg" requirement in the data files. That and also the fact that Laputa speed and range upgrades had "Neg" requirements for each other.

// Thaq