XCView is here!

Tammy

For some time I have been seeing people wish they could edit the uniforms used in the inventory screen. Well now it is possible!

With some considerable decoding effort and constant prodding from me, Ben Ratzlaff has created a program that does that and more.

His XCView program can edit, for both UFO and TFTD, the inventory images, Ufopedia images, Tactical interface, Geoscape background, and more..

XCView is a great boon to the ability to MOD Both UFO and TFTD,

But it does come with a catch... you have to have MS .NET Framework installed to run it (a free download) Although the program itself is only 60kb, the .Net Framework weighs in at a hefty 20Megs. This means an all-night download for all you 56k users.

You can get XCView here

And .Net Framework from windows update or link

Ben is available to answer usability questions at alt.games.x-com And I may be able to help you with it as well.

-Blade FireLight

hmmm let me see how that tool works, maybe i feel to mod a little bit for tftd :)

Iam also looking up for some people who try to create a new 3D version of xcom, the way it is in UFo and TFTD, couse the apoc. xcom and the hole rest, that followed is bulls...t :(

So if you guys know some link or people to contact, i would be very glad !

I can make sounds, german translations, level designe (gtkradiant) and also have some good ideas :)

Thanx so far

Kinda off-topic, but has anyone ever tried to make a "real" weapons mod for X-COM 1? I know there's one available for download on the site here, but as I recall it was kinda weird. I mean replacing the pistol with (for eg, American stuff) an M9 and the "rifle" with the M16 and so on. Any thoughts?

I've got it running in Windows NT4, from a root folder but not a nested folder. I'm able to open the .SPK files from UFO and the PCK files for the map/scanner windows of UFO - that is, single images - but not the multi-part PCK files for units and bigobjs. I just get a blank box of background colour. Is this normal?

Multi part PCK files were not part of this program

If Ben changes that it will be up to him.

To edit the other pck files get a copy of pck_view.exe althow if your runing XP then it wont run well... you need 98 and moslo to get it to work... not mutch can be done about that limitation as it is a verry old DOS program.

-Blade FireLight