New UFO: Extraterrestrials screenshots

Slaughter

Some new screenshots of the upcoming UFO: Extraterrestrials has been released at the official site. They show different management screens from the upcoming X-COM inspired turn-based game, and should be interesting to most visitors of this site. You can read more about the game in our projects section, and at the official site.

UFO_ET_base_building2.jpg UFO_ET_Inventory.jpg UFO_ET_Globe.jpg UFO_ET_Scientific_base_room.jpg

The game is currently slated for Q1 2006. Spotted at Taktikzone.de

Oh man! Those screenshots are SHWEEET! I can NOT wait for it to be released!

I love their take on the alien plasma weapons. They look suitably alien and for the life of me I can't figure out how to hold it. Truth be told I can't figure out some of the human weapons too, but at least they don't look alien.

Looks interesting... but looking at the Geoscape I'm guessing it's not set on Earth?

Or are there multiple planets?

From our projects section:

The basic overview is that Earth has been overrun by an alien invasion force and the aliens are apparently now encroaching into your own territory on the planet Esperanza. You must command your forces in a variety of tactical combat missions as well as researching and manufacturing new technologies to defeat the alien foe and hopefully find out what happened to Earth and why the aliens are attacking.

Is it just me, or do eastern european gaming companies have a huge hardon for ripping off Xcom? UFO series, Silent Storm and now this. Not saying that this game won't be excellent, but seriously.....they even have Snakemen! Check the screenshot section on the official page.

Is it just me, or do eastern european gaming companies have a huge hardon for ripping off Xcom? UFO series, Silent Storm and now this. Not saying that this game won't be excellent, but seriously.....they even have Snakemen! Check the screenshot section on the official page.

You forgot to mention the Fallout ones :(. I don't see why some people seem to have a problem with this however (not saying you do). There are thousands of games ripping off Doom and Dune (FPS, RTS), so why not make X-COM's unique mix of strategy and tactics into a genre as well? Personally I am glad someone is doing it. If it were up to the US and Western European publishers we would never see more of this sort of games.

You forgot to mention the Fallout ones :(. I don't see why some people seem to have a problem with this however (not saying you do). There are thousands of games ripping off Doom and Dune (FPS, RTS), so why not make X-COM's unique mix of strategy and tactics into a genre as well? Personally I am glad someone is doing it. If it were up to the US and Western European publishers we would never see more of this sort of games.

As am I. Both the RTS and FPS genres have been done to death in the past years. The last FPS worth playing was NOLF, which rocked.

Check this out: https://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/UFO_E..._base_room.html

Those snakemen are total ripoffs.

Actualy over the past few years there's been a huge rise in the number of eastern european developers working on all sorts of projects. Quite a few of them are looking quite good. Seems like in the 80s and 90s it was the rise of the US and western european developer studios, and now at the start of this century it's the turn of the eastern european developer studios.

Good luck to them all I say... the more developers and publishers there are to rival the behmoth that is EA and the others the better it is for us gamers IMO.

As am I. Both the RTS and FPS genres have been done to death in the past years. The last FPS worth playing was NOLF, which rocked.

Check this out: https://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/UFO_E..._base_room.html

Those snakemen are total ripoffs.

Hi Gungadin,

I'm glad that you patronize UFO:Enemy unknown so much.But tell me one thing:Would you be more satisfied if you don't see a snakeman like creature in UFO:Extraterrestrials?Would you prefer remove this alien just for the individuality in 12 years old UFO:Enemy unknown?

Anybody remember a datadisk to Heretic1?There was also a snakeman like creature looking very similair although it had a pitchfork instead of a plasma rifle.If somebody still has it,please send me a screenshot of that creatuere at skalisko@seznam.cz or at michal.dolezal@ufo-extraterrestrials.com thx a lot.

Pretty much all sci-fi universes ever created has aliens based on earth creatures, and reptiles are heavily represented in most.

Anyway, good to see you back Michal! :( A few questions if you can answer them. How are you progressing on the game? Still slated for a Q1 2006 release? How about Europe?

Hi Gungadin,

I'm glad that you patronize UFO:Enemy unknown so much.But tell me one thing:Would you be more satisfied if you don't see a snakeman like creature in UFO:Extraterrestrials?Would you prefer remove this alien just for the individuality in 12 years old UFO:Enemy unknown?

Anybody remember a datadisk to Heretic1?There was also a snakeman like creature looking very similair although it had a pitchfork instead of a plasma rifle.If somebody still has it,please send me a screenshot of that creatuere at skalisko@seznam.cz or at michal.dolezal@ufo-extraterrestrials.com thx a lot.

Oh no, Snakemen are fine, and your game looks to have the potential to be excellent. I just think it's a little unimaginative, having snakemen in the game that look like exact copies of the Xcom ones.

The rest of the aliens, and also the graphics of the game, look very well done and original, especially the equipment setup. Good design there.

Good luck with the game.

I wouldn't say that Fallout ripped off X-Com (with the possible exception of Fallout Tactics). For us, it's different since it's not just a playstyle (like FPSes) or a concept (protecting from an alien invasion), but both. You can't say that Half-Life 2 is a ripoff of Doom, but if a FPS came out where you were a space marine attacking hellspawn on the Moon/Mars, people would cry that it was a Doom ripoff.

Now what we have for the X-Com style games are games that are to-the-letter copies of X-Com. This one has a lot of elements, including snakemen, the base setup screen, the geosphere, equipment, etc. Do I decry it? No, I can't say that I do, especially since we'll never get another true X-Com game (and yes, it pains me to say that). Besides, from looking at their website you can see that they are bringing other elements to the table (advanced AI, true demolition of environment, etc).

I think in the end that people call it like it is, and when this game gets reviewed it IS going to be brought up again. Face it, there are elements of X-Com that are DIRECTLY put into UFO:E. Will it hurt the game in the long run? Probably not. Will I buy it? Probably so. I remember seeing this project a while back, and it looked impressive then and looks impressive now. That's why I've had a link to it on my website for a year and a half.

Just my 2 cents.

Pretty much all sci-fi universes ever created has aliens based on earth creatures, and reptiles are heavily represented in most.

Anyway, good to see you back Michal! :( A few questions if you can answer them. How are you progressing on the game? Still slated for a Q1 2006 release? How about Europe?

Hi Olav,

I'll be able to specify the release date date in couple of weeks.Not now,'m afraid.It's always difficult to speak about the release date.Anyway 2 promotional animations have been created and 2 another are in progress.

As far as originality is concerned,in my opinion the most important for developers is to add something new into their game.Some new aspects that will make game unique in some way.

Let's look at FPS games.First original fps game was more or less Wolfenstein.Then came Doom.The developers brought to the light a few new aspects.For example corpses falling from floors,or floors themselves,exploding barrels,and many others.

As far as RTS are concerned probably first RTS was DuneII by Westwood studios.Then came Warcraft

by Blizzard.The game system was almost the same but graphic was different-Warcraft took place in

middle ages so instead of rockets flew spears.

As far as TBS are concerned it is difficult to say who was the first.Probably it was Gollops's Rebelstar raiders

,but sometimes I wonder that very first TBS was actually chess.Now thanks to Gollops and many creative men who added new aspects to their TBS games we now don't talk about chess but about UFO:Enemy unknown for instance.

Hi Olav,

I'll be able to specify the release date date in couple of weeks.Not now,'m afraid.It's always difficult to speak about the release date.Anyway 2 promotional animations have been created and 2 another are in progress.

Yeah, I understand. Looking forwards to more news :(