Stealth mission

Vorge

Hi all,

I am having trouble with the stealth mission in which you have to enter the house and speak to the guy in his office, all without being discovered. Now, I have Toki in the office, still in stealth mode but there isn't an option to talk to the agent. My main character is unlikely to make it into the office undetected as his hide skill isn't massively high, so what are my options at this point?

---------- SPOILER ALERT!!!!!! -----------

Is this the mission where you need to speak to the Russian official?

If so, the 1st objective is triggered by having your Hero reach the area next to the door leading into the study. Once your hero reaches this spot, a cutscene is triggered where you witness the conversation between the Soviet official and the Hammer agent. After which you can then enter the study and question the official. After that, you can either leave quietly, or kill everyone in the compound.

If your Hero is unstealthy (engineer, grenadier, etc) just send in a scout to kill everyone 1st, and then send in your hero after. With no one to spot you, your hero should have no problem reaching the study unseen.

PS - I also suspect (but haven't tested this) that if you are spotted and fail the 1st objective, you can still question the Official, but you also need to kill everyone in the compound (which includes the 8 or so Hammer operatives that normally leave the mission area after the above mentioned cutscene).

---------- SPOILER ALERT!!!!!! -----------

Is this the mission where you need to speak to the Russian official?

If so, the 1st objective is triggered by having your Hero reach the area next to the door leading into the study. Once your hero reaches this spot, a cutscene is triggered where you witness the conversation between the Soviet official and the Hammer agent. After which you can then enter the study and question the official. After that, you can either leave quietly, or kill everyone in the compound.

If your Hero is unstealthy (engineer, grenadier, etc) just send in a scout to kill everyone 1st, and then send in your hero after. With no one to spot you, your hero should have no problem reaching the study unseen.

PS - I also suspect (but haven't tested this) that if you are spotted and fail the 1st objective, you can still question the Official, but you also need to kill everyone in the compound (which includes the 8 or so Hammer operatives that normally leave the mission area after the above mentioned cutscene).

Perfect - that solves my problem :(

I managed to do the sequence with the russian guy. But after that, I cannot leave the house unseen. There's a soldier on the second floor left from the door, right at the stairs.

Even if I manage to kill him unseen with a scout, the mission is failed, as soon as I attack him. very strange. Any suggestions?

It's really not that big a deal if he sees you. As I said above, even though you 'fail' the objective, you won't fail the mission. Instead, you just need to kill all the opposition, just like in a regular mission, instead of sneaking out unseen.

If you're dead-set on getting out stealthily, just plan ahead and use a dirty trick such as placing a scout to be behind the soldier when he appears, or place a mine where the soldier will be standing, or toss a few grenades through the door 1st, etc.

(IMO- one of the few downsides of S2/S3 is that several missions have 'gotchas' like this one that screw you over when first encountered, but are quite easy to counter once you know the 'trick'. The timed bombs in the UN mission being another example.)

I managed to do the sequence with the russian guy. But after that, I cannot leave the house unseen. There's a soldier on the second floor left from the door, right at the stairs.

Even if I manage to kill him unseen with a scout, the mission is failed, as soon as I attack him. very strange. Any suggestions?

Cough cough (reenters forum after several months playing other games and moving house....)

Maede, I had the exact same problem with this level. In the end I decided it was a bug and just left the game as soon as I was in the all clear (Real time mode) It didn't seem to make mush difference to the final outcome, although it's worth exploring the manor a bit for some the goodies in it. Just watch out for booby traps........

• 2 weeks later...

Blow a hole in the floor or distract him with a gunshot so that he looks somewhere else. He doesnt move from the spot he is standing at.

• 1 month later...
Blow a hole in the floor or distract him with a gunshot so that he looks somewhere else. He doesnt move from the spot he is standing at.

I've just replayed this mission having lent Civ IV to a mate for the sake of my own sanity (if not his) and the need to play something different ;)

I'm now pretty certain this is a bug in the program. If you attempt to kill any soldier on the first floor of the house then the "remain undetected" mission objective fails and you count as "detected". It doesn't matter if you are seen or not, whether you are silent about it or not, and whether or not the first hit kills the enemy soldier outright or merely causes damage.

Reasoning for this? This time I tried to clear out all the soliders from the mission map, and suceeded with only the two soldiers on the top floor left (The one with the sniper rifle on the balcony on the garage side of the house, and the officer in the room behind him). I tried to kill these two soldiers before I triggered the cut scene, but every time I hit them then I had failed the "remain undetected" mission objective and lost the bonus payment in the mission summary screen. Remember this is before the cut scene and the sentry on the landing appears as if from magic :D

There doesn't appear to be a lot that can be done about this so just go with it and slaughter everyone once the cutscene has played out. If you want to make it a bit more challenging then go in all guns blazing right from the start. When I replayed it this way (Wasting most of the house with the Panzershrek!) I thought there were a lot more soliders to kill, although I could be wrong. Worth it for a bit more kit and experience I guess, and the pay at the end of the mission was exactly the same.....

• 5 months later...

I would suggest failing this mission intentionally anyway :drink:. (by killing the official instead of interrogating him)

True, you don't earn money, but you get a ton of valuables and experience - and the other three missions in this set of four can be completed easily, so this is just a bonus.