Lovin it!!!!!!

Kirby

Hello boys, girls, and gifted animals!!

Let me preface my thoughts by saying that I bought Aftershock (US version) right when the 1.1 patch came out and haven't had any of the problems the unpatched version had.

It took me awhile to really get into the game. I would get frustrated when my Level 1-2 troopers would take it on the chin from low level mutants. I would play for about a half hour and then get mad and quit. I started to wonder if this game was worth it. I pushed on and am really glad that I did!! This is a wonderful game and Altar should be proud of themselves. I can't wait for the next installment of the UFO series and have the whole next week off to finish Aftershock.

If you are having trouble getting into the game early on like I did, don't give up, it is well worth it!!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Most of us here would agree with you 100%, "it is well worth it". I rather enjoyed the difficulty you face in the early part of the game. Having just a few Laser Rifles and limit ammo. And then later recovering convention small arms from mutants and/or cultists with limited ammo. With no avenue to manufacture ammo it can get very nerve racking. :(

***Possible Spoiler, Though You Most Likely Have Read About This Already***

Not sure how far into the game I am, I took a few weeks off. I am currently waiting for the "ship" to be manufactured. So that I can attack the Wargots ship. ;)

For the most part I have thoroughly enjoyed Aftershock. It far surpasses Aftermath in so many ways. And at this point the main irritant has been the crashes to desktop... which I sent off dozen of reports to Micr$oft via Windows XP. Hopefully M$ sends those reports on to ALTAR. :(

Either way they did an awesome job on this sequel. I hope then improve the formula even more with Afterlight. :(

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year to all, even if you don't celebrate it. :(

I hope the Altar team won't forget to improve the AI this time... Same AI since UFO : Enemy Unknown ! Wake up ALTAR please...

I agree that the AI should be updated. I've bugged ALTAR about this often enough, and they didn't do a good enough job with Aftershock. That being said, the AI in UFO: EU wasn't too good. I don't know why everyone seems to think it was...

Well, IMO, it's not too important that it's good, as long as they can cover it somehow, in other words to balance it out (for example, enemies do significant damage). Now if this was Blizzard, I'd expect them to have a top-notch AI, but I assume that Altar doesn't exactly have 100+ people, so maybe they had other priorities, due to deadlines and such. The reason that UFO: EU seemed to have a good AI is because the aliens were always a challenge (maybe even a bit too much for newbies in the beginning), due to good stats (especially on higher difficulties) and the ability to PSI you even when they cannot see you (something that was done better in Apocalypse), and they know your soldiers'positions always.

That being said, the AI definitely needs some improvement, first of all something to counteract the "line tactic" which is too powerful right now, and the ambush tactic - for example, if the enemy can detect your soldiers being in an ambush (in front of doors etc.), they immediately take out an explosive weapon (assuming they have one), and throw it out the door, andwhile your soldiers are running away from the explosion, the enemy can get out (especially if there's more of them.

Though, to be fair, I'm playing the game on easy, I'll give final judgement when I finish it on hard, but I assume that the enemies on higher difficulties also have increased stats like in UFO: EU.

I'd also like to see somekind of basic formations which would give you some minor or major bonuses (depending on balancing of the game).