Capturing Kleins?

Schuh

I finally got to see some Kleins in Sentinals. The fact that they can be shot with rockets and high-powered rifles is a nice improvement.

It is much more difficult to grenade the driver now though?

I managed to get a couple really cool Kleins from the special Egypt mission. The rest were destroyed. Usually in S2 a powerful fragmentation grenade thrown behind the klein would kill the driver without damaging it too much. Its seems here that the driver is protected 360. Using the snipe with two turns worth of APs to the head was the only way I could consistantly hurt the driver with minimal damage to the klein.

Kleins have always been too slow and overpowering so I quit using them. It always seemed more fun to treat them like tanks and try to flank them. I haven't used them at all in Sentinals. I usually destroy them with a armor-peircing round or consistant fire from a MG-34(or similar). Mines are somewhat effective.

What are some of your strategies? Either capturing or destroying.

The Egypt mission by the way was a bit frustrating. Fortunately I lucked into a nice ambush at the beginning. Ended up losing a couple of guys though. Lots of good loot!

Egypt mission is easy as pie. Bring loads of mines and heavy grenades, mine the PK's entry points and have your guys standing ready close to cover to throw grenades at them. Hiding my grenadier behind the rocky outcropping next to the entry point allowed me to throw grenades at them without taking fire myself. A rocket launcher can help with the other groups of troopers spawning in the ruins.

I agree that the ability to kill Panzerkliens with 'normal' weapons in S3 is a HUGE improvement over S2. Personally I hate the laser weapons in S2/S3, and I refuse to use them. And since you had to use them in S2 to kill a panzerklien (It was pretty silly that a Bazooka that could kill a tank, wouldn't hurt a walking trashcan!!! :( ), I pretty much stopped playing S2, and only play S3 now.

So, to answer your question, I never capture Panzerkliens, I only pulverize them. I love when I damage them so much, they actually disappear, leaving a very stunned (and very vulnerable) driver behind!

To kill them, I use AP rockets almost exclusively. They're more effective than rifles or MGs, and you don't have to get as close as with grenades.

FYI - Towards the end of the game, I equip every member of my squad with their main weapon (either a Rifle or a HMG) and a RPG. This way I can deal with whatever threat presents itself in that mission.

I prefer to hunt 'kleins with 'kleins. I use my grenadier and scout to throw mortar shells at them, or have the engineer or grenadier fire AP PIAT rounds. The various sniper weapons are not too effective in my experience, though they can be useful for softening up incoming 'kleins.

If I have to fight on foot, AP rockets and heavy grenades are the easiest. I've also been very impressed with the engineer throwing dynamite and completely destroying 'kleins.

• 2 months later...

I never managed to capture a THO Klein. They always exploded, even when I aimed for the eyes with my AVS-36 or SKS-45 scoped. Once I almost killed the pilot before the PK, but it seems as if I couldn't hurt the pilot without hurting the Klein as well, and so it exploded. I swear, I saw no blue damage numbers, but the Klein still exploded. Bug? Script? No idea.

I *highly* recommend AP missiles against PKs. I once hit a fully operational THO PK with one AP Panzerschreck missile and killed both the PK and the pilot at once. That's as nice as it can get.

Question: Can I get Axis PKs in Sentinels? I saw one on an official screenshot for Sentinels, but never met any Axis PKs in the game (3rd run now). Perhaps the screenshot was from the beta?

I really prefer Axis to Allies PKs because a) they look much cooler and b) have more hitpoints (at least in S2). And since I heard you can use the PK weapons with both side PKs, and I always fail to capture laser or sniper THO Kleins, the Axis PK would be my Mini-Tank of choice. :D

Question: Can I get Axis PKs in Sentinels? I saw one on an official screenshot for Sentinels, but never met any Axis PKs in the game (3rd run now). Perhaps the screenshot was from the beta?

I really prefer Axis to Allies PKs because a) they look much cooler and b) have more hitpoints (at least in S2). And since I heard you can use the PK weapons with both side PKs, and I always fail to capture laser or sniper THO Kleins, the Axis PK would be my Mini-Tank of choice. :D

yes axis PzK in egypt.

To get a brand new PzK thor or whatever, kill the driver with your sniper in the head:

1 shot, 1 kill = aim him at the head and put all the AP he gets for shoting I said ALL, so he will have more than 100% chance to hit, not indicated but the computer use it for calculation &...1 shoot, 1kill, and no impact on the PzK, or very low.

yes axis PzK in egypt.

To get a brand new PzK thor or whatever, kill the driver with your sniper in the head:

1 shot, 1 kill = aim him at the head and put all the AP he gets for shoting I said ALL, so he will have more than 100% chance to hit, not indicated but the computer use it for calculation &...1 shoot, 1kill, and no impact on the PzK, or very low.

I *always* snipe the head. I think 70% of the shots hurt the PK, 30% the driver - but never enough to kill him.

Where exactly do I find Axis PKs in Egypt? I played the Desert Ruins mission, but the PKs there were Allies ones.

Maybe you are referring to a special encounter on the Egypt map, the one where you find the THO Satellite from S2? I've only heard of that special encounter, I never had it (I was never keen on meeting a map full of Kleins when my own weapons would barely scratch them, except for AP Rockets).

High penetration value rifles are good weapons to capture Panzers. Head is the 10 points target.

If doesn't hate sci-fi then may try that big x-com lazer. It beams throught houses. Marvelous. :D

Hescogen charges are good too, if you can afford them. Come to that most of the explosive charges seem to be pretty good at damaging the Pks, other than dynamite.

Komik, probably not the right place for this but I've just started a new campain in S3 using your random storm mod. It's fantastic, thanks very much for giving this game so much more replayability ;)

Hescogen charges are good too, if you can afford them. Come to that most of the explosive charges seem to be pretty good at damaging the Pks, other than dynamite.

Komik, probably not the right place for this but I've just started a new campain in S3 using your random storm mod. It's fantastic, thanks very much for giving this game so much more replayability ;)

Yeah, it actually makes quite sense that those "technical" grenades unleash armageddon on anything a good mechanic throws them at - considering that the description say that there damage potential raises with the tech skill.

But I don't want to kill the Kleins, I wanna kill the driver and capture the PK.

I do use weapons with a high penetration value: AVS-36 and SKS-45 scoped. Are there any portable projectile weapons (not the beam cannon, no PK mounted ones) that have a higher penetration value than 59 (AVS-36, SVT-40, DP)?

I heard that the PKs have a penetration level of 50, that means that even AVS-36 have bad chances to scratch the driver. But perhaps I just got unlucky most of the time :D

• 1 month later...
I only seem to capture PKs when their drivers flee... I never understand why they do this, but it's happend 3 or 4 times in my current game so far. Right in the middle of massive fight, a PK guy will just jump out and run for it. Sometimes he pops off a few rounds with his colt/luger, though he mostly just bolts and gets taken out.

I only seem to capture PKs when their drivers flee... I never understand why they do this, but it's happend 3 or 4 times in my current game so far. Right in the middle of massive fight, a PK guy will just jump out and run for it. Sometimes he pops off a few rounds with his colt/luger, though he mostly just bolts and gets taken out.

It's fairly easy to disable a PK with an explosive and leave them immobile and unable to use the pk weapons. From the AIs point of view it makes more sense for the pilot to leave it and shot with a pistol than not be able to do any damage at all, and try and soak up the incoming fire.

Also, I've tried to sneak up on a Pk from the rear a few times, only for the pilot to get out, blow the head of my guy with a pistol and then get in it again!

I know this seems a bit daft, especially when it's very difficult to tell if an enemy pk is suffering from a critical or not, but by and large I find that if the pilot has left the Pk it's generally because he's out of ammo or the pk is damaged and can't be used.

That must be it.

When I first encountered PKs in the traitor mission, Toki was already so close to one only armed with mortars.

Whenever I try to sneak up on one, the pilot always notices my guy! I've lost a few scouts this way.

Yeah if they hear your scout they don't need to see him with the mortars. Just lob one in the general direction of the sound and that's your scout scattered over the landscape :eh:

Keep an eye out for the face symbol over the PKs. If you're moving your scout and they suddenly get a question mark over them, run away from the PK as fast as possible!