turning off shadows, but leaving bump mapping and lighting

manboy86

has anyone noticed, that they can turn all the graphics on high and so on, but the second you 'turn off' shadows in the graphic tweaker utility, the bump mapping, nice quality lighting and so on all disapear, even if the options for those things are still ticked...

this is really annoying, as my computer is nice, but my graphics card, a 9600pro which is on it's last legs seems to do well in games like quake 4 with bump mapping and all the lighting so on cranked up, but the second it has to process semi-complex shadows like in S2, it doesnt like it at all.

does anybody know how i can go about removing the shadows, but still leaving all the pretty bump mapping and lighting?

i really don't even like the shadows, as i have to crank down the shadow quality to get it running nice and it's ugly as hell.

thanks in advance

-eddy

• 5 weeks later...

thanks for the guide, i've read it already, but it was no help...

the problem seems to be, using config file editing, or the gfx config utility, once you turn off 'shadows' it turns off light sources, bump mapping, etc etc.

i don't know why this does this, i've tried various types of configurations, but unless i want to be standing in a boring non-lightmapped environment which it seems you HAVE to have some kind of shadowing.

it's very annoying...

the reason for this is, my cpu is nice, but my graphics card is on its last legs. i ussualy run games on 800x600 with 2x AA, and options like pixel shading, advanced light sources and shaders don't seem to affect the FPS at all in games such as Quake 4, Doom III, Sims 2, Half life 2... and so on....

but shadows... i don't understand why, i'd imagine it has something to do with all the calculations involved, ... they seem to make a HUGE difference in the lag i get. and S2s shadows are quite ugly unless you have it on 'very high' anyhow, as they are blocky and messy, so i'd prefer to have them off anyhow.

but anyhow, i'm kind of over playing this game until i get myself a new graphics card, which shall be soon enough, but thanks for the help anyhow, guys.

peace

-eddy