UFO: Afterlight announced!

Slaughter

In the "I almost had a heart attack" department, ALTAR games just announced the sequel to UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock:

UFO: Afterlight (working title) is sequel to UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock series, which brings you completely new insight to story of Aftershock, this time from lonely human inhabitants on Mars.
    Game play highlights:

• combination of global strategy and tactical missions

• new strategic game with resources management and terraforming possible in later stage of the game

• advanced tactical portion of the game with possibility to enter buildings, different heights, destructible environment, thermo visions and more

• even stronger RPG elements, all your subjects are known by name, complex training system, special equipment and more

• completely new story building on the events from UFO: Aftershock

• large number of new technologies, weapons and equipment to develop

• completely new environments on a planet different from Earth

• more complex diplomacy option affecting the story

• aliens, drones and robots in your team

• new enemies and new alien races with variable weapons and battle tactics

Spotted at Blue's News and thanks to Olivier

Yeah, I guess so Stefan100. Personally I think the expansion pack would be more work than it is worth however. By the time it would have been done, everyone would know the storyline and so on. Therefore I don't think adding some of the features they had to cut (missions on ships and so on) would really sell much. New game with more features due to higher budgets and more experience is better in my opinion.

Can't they just make it a expansion pack instead? And why do they just keep using "after", it getting kind of lame.

That's a matter of opinion.

And if you don't like them, here's a couple of alternatives

UFO: Aftershave

UFO: Afterhours

You may choose the theme for the title that you think would suit it best

I just hope the spanish distributor releases Aftershock before ALTAR finish Afterlight. At the rate they're going it's going to be a photo finish.

AfterShave: Melee focused expansion pack. Smells like mint. Adds blood.

AfterHours: In order to eliminate all graphics slowdown, the sequel will take place in complete darkness. Alternatively, they come up with an ASCI Text version of Aftershock a la NetHack. Die, letter M! Shoot, C! Marketed at TI-83 calculators everywhere.

My own suggestions

AfterCubed? Its not X-Com. I said this before, its still not X-Com. When will you learn its not... Ah screw it!

AfterLife? Ever wonder what happened to those cultists you killed? Beware of the 72 virgin Morelmen.

Slaughter, if I had find out sooner the release date for the spanish localization then I probably would have, but in a couple of days I'll be going to visit some relatives during my x-mas vacations making the delivery in a bit of an ackward moment. Also, by the time I get back, the spanish release should be out. In the even that it's not the case, you can bet I'll be going for the english release.

Bovine_cannibla, I was thinking for UFO: Aftershave to be a merchandise gift with the next sequel of the game with it's main component being bio-mass.

UFO: Afterhours. You're an Old Grey managing a nightclub long before the event in Aftermath.

Man, what the wait for a game can do to ones braincells is disturbing.

After soaking my brain in alcohol to get over the shocking news about UFO Afterlight my brain (what's left of of it) came up with these titles before the hangovers kicked in.

For the UFO A-series flight simulatior there is: UFO Afterburner.

For the educational side there is: UFO After School. Find out what people were doing in those schools/colleges you built in UFO Aftershock.

And for the facial cleaning series there is: UFO Afterward.

I couldn't come up with an idea for UFO After Effect. But it sounds like an idea for a MMORPG. (Biowares Mass Effect)

For the horror series there is: UFO After Dark. Or that is the name of the UFO nightclub.

"In the 'I almost had a heart attack!' department, ALTAR games just announced the sequel to UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock"

Simply fantastic news, Olav! :)

::

Looking over the bulleted feature list one can already glimpse the growth that Afterlight will bring to the UFO_A saga. I regard it with great anticipation!

A few key issues I would ask the ALTAR team to keep at heart throughout the development:

- Do develop a set unique characters/soldiers (with identifiable facial traits, skills/abilities and voices) as it strenghtens player attachment and the credibility of the setting

- Implement an AI whose agents make effective use of cover (as this has a strong impact on the gameplay itself and affects the way in which enemy intelligence/adepteness is perceived by the player)

- Strive for distinctive, non-repetitive mission objectives and layouts (even if quantity has to take a back seat).

- To reinforce the previous topic you might want to take 'a day in the life' approach - what can be accomplished by the characters in a day's game time, deriving repercussions. (what people did or failed to do, with whom, after or before another relevant event, victory, failure, fatigue all playing a role in a day's, non-negligible, discrete time in the life of those involved)

and...

- UFO: Afterglow would prove an equally adequate candidate for the game's name, in my opinion :cool:

Best of luck with the project !

If humanity is going to be colonising Mars, then I hope that Altar allow for the fact that Mars has a much lower gravity than Earth, which means that a soldier will be able to throw a grenade further than he could on Earth. He would also be able to carry much more than he could on Earth.

That depends. If during the terraforming, Mars's density is increased then gravity will also increase. This without considering the posibility of artificial gravity being implemented.

Also, depending on how many years the Mars colony was stablished, the "local" humans there would suffer a decrease in physical condition as their bodies adapted to their new environment.

I love crushing people's hopes :)

There does seem to be Earth standard gravity in the Laputas. As they are the wrong shape to use centrifugal force to simulate gravity, it is likely that the Reticulans have artificial gravity in their ships. However humanity would not have the industrial capacity to extensively terraform Mars in the decades after the events of Aftershock.

There is also the question of why we would bother to colonise Mars unless we are talking about a few scientific outposts. The population of Earth is going to be miniscule, which means there is little pressure on natural resources. If it is a case of not wanting to put all humanity's eggs in one basket, then a better strategy would be to get the Reticulans to find us a new Earth-like world. We would not be colonial rivals as the Reticulan physiology means that they would prefer to colonise worlds with lower gravity and more oxygen than Earth.

I think it is a good idea for Altar to shift the action away from Earth in order to keep the series from getting stale, but I feel that Mars would not be the best choice.

Well, I guess the Laputas could use the Earth's gravitational pull to generate their own gravity within the ship while also preventing crashing into Earth itself.

In regards of terraforming, aren't we forgetting a fearsome tool the reticulans used that essentially did so during the Aftermath? If enough archives were left in regards of the bio-mass, there could be a chance to use it as a planetwide rapid terraformer.

In the few games I know that have "colonized" Mars or other planets in our solar system always depicted them as mining colonies in their storylines, even if they later became fullfledge civilized planets.