Panic

GigiDuru

I'm still not very far away in my first game. Operations against mutants and Reticulans go well, but I came across something new and most unpleasant when attacking the cultists.

Whenever a Psionic Cultist shoots, even with a regular firearm (that's all I recovered afterwards), he seems to induce a "panic efect". I had to reaload when my super-fast 3-level commando started to chase his colleagues with his katana. Could be funny but not for me!

I hoped this was some kind of temporary insanity that doesn't last for a long time. Wrong again, the crazy katana guy would not give up!

So, my questions are:

- What induces the panic (psionic cultist themselves or some weapon they use) ?

- Which are the panic effects (I find it normal that a panicked soldier freezes but less normal that he carefully aims to shoot his teammates) ?

- Except for the presence of a leader (which I had and this delayed the inevitable), are there other ways to reduce or even avoid panic ?

- How long does panic last ? Is it possible to visualize the "remaining panic time" ?

- Is there a way to help a panicked soldier recover his peace of mind ? (other than having him killed of course).

Thanks for any advices. I looked in the manual but I only found a short reference to it. I think this was an "old" X-COM concept but that doesn't help me a lot.

I'm not too sure of the answer, but I'll give it a go, feel free to correct me anyone:

1: The psionic themselves induce the panic, as far as I'm aware. If the bullet hits, you're in bother.

2: You cant control the unit. The unit freezes or starts shooting at your own people

3: A psionic wearing a certain "dress" can reduce the effects of psi attacks on your troops. I'm not sure, but I think it might be a circlet.

4: Varies in my experience

5: I think a level 2 medic can with an advanced medkit, but I'm not sure.