Scavenge vs. Research

GigiDuru

I find that weapon research and manufacture is discouraged in the game (especially in the initial part, that is where I am). While being days before discovering sniper rifles, I hired a human with sniper training and she came with... you guessed, a sniper rifle.

And almost every weapon I discovered by now, I already had one or two pieces from hired personnel or scavenging (especially cultists).

Now I'm manufacturing a machine gun and it takes long in computer-time, but I think that if I hire a human with heavy equipment training he / she will ba carrying a machine gun. This way it is times fast (and possibly cheaper too) to hire armed personnel, confiscate their weapons and dismiss them (unarmed in this cruel world :) ).

Does this change later in the game ? That is, is there equipment you really need to research without any other way to get it?

I am still somewhat new to this game so not sure if my point of view is anygood

but I think what you may be seeing when you hire someone is that is part of the idea of where the reseach idea came from

or, you find a SMG, take it back to base and the tech guy is saying, hmmm, that is a interesting Idea, I bet we could do that too, and then goes to work (if you select it to reseach)

I think the reseach idea in the game is not really the right term, it is not trying to think and figure out how a weapon would work, but how it would be made

you may find 20 of them, but you still build any of them, until you figure out how to build it (reseach)

?????

I am still somewhat new to this game so not sure if my point of view is anygood

but I think what you may be seeing when you hire someone is that is part of the idea of where the reseach idea came from

or, you find a SMG, take it back to base and the tech guy is saying, hmmm, that is a interesting Idea, I bet we could do that too, and then goes to work (if you select it to reseach)

I think the reseach idea in the game is not really the right term, it is not trying to think and figure out how a weapon would work, but how it would be made

you may find 20 of them, but you still build any of them, until you figure out how to build it (reseach)

?????

In part that's correct - some research projects require an example of the technology first, especially things like alien weapons.

But certain other things are just part of an elongated tech tree. I had the option to research Medium Armour, but I had some pre-requisites to fill. Getting the armour before I was even allowed to research it is a bit dumb to be honest.

I only scavenge weapons. I've got a basic weapons factory and an ordnance factory and it seems that I could start researching for E.G AP Bullet manufacturing etc. stuff related to weapons, but I simply cant get the research to start. Not even to the column on the left where other things (like school floor plan, reticulan language) get researched.

So what I do is sail overseas (ok float in the laputa) and kill me some Cultists :)

The thing with that is that those on earth have the capability and knowledge to produce their own gear, which you can use yourself, however your being able to get it via recruits is completely down to how much of a rep you have with a group. The better youre reputation with one or another of the three groups you recruit from, the better pick of soldiers you get and the more likely said soldiers are likely to already have training and/or personal equipment from their people's military forces.

I've finally reached the point where I can begin developing my own ammo and weapons, but now I don't need to since I've scavenged stockpiles of guns n ammo from the Cultists. This is partly due to the fact that I realised the difference between Weapons Factory and Weapons Lab a bit late.

Hello,

I prefer to research my equipment.

From the beginning I have build a lot of labs in different bases, especials wepon labs and special weapon labs.

Med Labs, energy weapon labs etc. are not that important for me. Thats why I only have 1 or 2 of each.

That way I was able to equip my team with assault rifles and mg's long before I had a good stock of these weapons.