Train Ticket Prices

Just heard on the radio that the price of a train ticket in the UK is set to rise by approximatly 9%. That puts the price of a ticket from London to Manchester at approximatly £200 according to the radio.

That's double the cost to fly from London to Manchester on a BA.

I thought this government was trying to get people off the roads and onto the trains to reduce pollution and traffic on the roads?

Any thoughts?

Well train ticket prices have been heavily subsidised over the past 7 years or so. Now that train companies are meeting their timetables more readily and there are supposedly fewer delays due to track work the subsidies are being withdrawn.

I think this is a good idea. If train companies want our business they will have to compete more readily and without the governemtn subsidies thay have received to date.

Ticket prices are so ridiculous I won't even contemptlate them. If desparate and not prepared to use the car I will use the coach.

Really. Somehow, I doubt it. It never should have been privatised, but it's not that bad.

The old BR system worked quite well, I used to travel all around the Midlands on trains. Now though the whole rip-off situation that this government has implemented stinks. I'm glad I now live in a part of the country where trains haven't run since 1970. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Just heard on the radio that the price of a train ticket in the UK is set to rise by approximatly 9%. That puts the price of a ticket from London to Manchester at approximatly £200 according to the radio.

Good lord man! what tickets are they buying?!

Last time I went to London (from Birmingham, and not too long ago) I got there and back by train for less than £30, and that was buying the ticket on the day.

A first class ticket, perhaps.

Nope, that'll be for what's know as a standard open return, which basically means you can travel at anytime between your start and destination. I think it also means you can get off on route if necessary and start again at a later date, though I stand to be corrected on that.

You can get cheaper but you have to book at least 4 weeks in advance, specify the trains you will travel on and you can't travel "Peak" time. Deviate from the specifed trains and you'll get charged the extra, even if it was the train company that cause the delay meaning you miss your connection.... Getting these tickets is also really hard as they sell out almost as soon as they are on sale! To further complicate matters, it can also be cheaper to book two singles rather than a return ticket.

To give you an idea of how complicated it gets, I'm trying to book a ticket from where I live to Newcastle (Distance 300 miles or so) and the website has given me a choice of 28 different tickets!!!! Some are very cheap admittedly (Two singles for £20 each isn't bad) but the times I can get them for are no help at all. The peak time I start travelling on mean I'll be spending about £100.

Sorry, didn't mean to lecture, especially those who live here in the UK Bascially, we all drive and get stuck in traffic jams because even though we are charged nearly £1 a Litre, it's still cheaper than public transport. Unless you fly by budget airline and live close enough to a regional airport to be able to use it of course. Flights from Newcastle to Bristol via easyjet? Book it a month in advance and it'll be about £40-60.

That should tell you everything that's wrong with the British public transport system :eh:

I travel quite a bit on trains, and the most I've ever paid for an open return is £90, for a jouney of about 350-400 miles, from the northeast to the southwest. Not going through King's Cross, mind, because London is more expensive for pretty much everything (even if you're only travelling through it).

I regularly travel several times a month about 30 miles, and it's about £5.

I travel about 250 miles every few months, and that's only about £50.

There are always cheap options, but if you can't use them due to your circumstances, that's not the fault of the trains. People always use the most expensive example as a means to illustrate their point, when in reality most train travel is pretty cheap. Yes, it could be cheaper, but that's the Tories for you. Teach them a lesson and don't vote for them.