Afteshock without Blood effects? Why ?

ram0s

What do you people think about the fact that there's no hit effect on any model ?

Was that something so hard to implement? Would that conflict with some of the new feats ?

And since there's no blood/gore, why is the game rated "Teen, for Blood and Gore, Realistic Violence" ?

Please don't flame me, as I understand that probably most of you don't care about that little detail, and I like the game as it is too but, even with the ragdoll effect and comparing the sequel to Aftermath, I think the game lost immersion.. :cool:

I hit an alien or a mutant and the only thing I see is the damage in the console and when it dies, the alien falls to the ground. This may be pointless for most of you ( I say that because I searched on the forum and found no topic talking about this issue), but IMHO I think it would give a better and more immersive game experience.

When i kill something it gives me a feeling of "emptyness" , like something is missing from the "killing sequence" .

This is a great game, but even with those problems they had like the rush to have the game ready on time, it could be better polished.

I only hope now that the game is out, they wont forget about the game and continue to improve it...

(Or a blood mod/patch could be made :) )

Cheers to all. (sorry for my bad english)

Hi ram0s, welcome to the boards. I agree, there should be blood in the game. Nothing as satisfying as ambushing a Cultist in a doorway and see his blood spread all over the wall :). Have to love Fallout...

Anyway, I guess the reason it was left out was too little time.

You know, it seems silly..but I agree with you. I would get "into" my troopers more if I could see a Moralman's lumpy head explode into a cloud of (insert Moralman blood color) mist when I get a critical killing shot. Really it doesn't need to be graphic, just to acknowledge the critical hit and the kill. Hopefully they will implement this in an expansion.

You're right, Acth. Not only it works as a visual aid to determine whether you successfully hit or critical hit an enemy, it increases the fun factor a lot :cool: .

Thank you, Slaughter. Fallout was (is) indeed a great game . Aftermath had blood, now imagine Aftershock, that has new melee weapons like the katana, with blood. Would be so fun the effect of slicing a "ridiculan" to pieces hehe .

I'm sure there are a lot of UFO enthusiasts out there that would like to see blood implemented, and maybe a blood mod is created, who knows? I keep my fingers crossed :argh: .

Now I would like to ask something to modders out there: Would it be possible to import the blood effects particles from AM and insert them in AS ? Yesterday I was messing around with the vfs extraction tool, checking the gamedata on AM and in AS, and I noticed that both games are almost structured the same way . Do you think it would be possible ( with proper adaptation of course ) to make that work right? Please correct me if I'm saying anything stupid :D , it often happens to me :) .

Good night all, and thank you for the fast reply.

If this was a poll, I would vote for "no blood, thanks". Especially if this required a new graphic card :cool:

BTOH, it is a deep mistery why the game was rated "16 years" - especially in these conditions.

Fortunately, this is no problem for me (I wish I was 16 again :) ) but my son was devastated when he saw that.

I have been looking around for the rating of the game and found this website: ESRB ratings

It says that it's Teen(13+) for Mild Language and Violence.

Where as UFO Aftermath has a Teen(13+) rating as well for Blood and Gore, Violence.

So all I can say is....Put in some gore and blood as it won't change the games rating as it did with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Hot coffee mod). :cool:

As for Fallout....(great games)

Fallout is rated Mature(17+) for Animated Blood and Gore

Fallout 2 is also rated Mature(17+) for Animated Blood and Gore, Strong Language.

But we need those good animated death scenes..... :argh: Even if it will change the games rating to mature.

And yes I do think that censorship in any form should be :)

If this was a poll, I would vote for "no blood, thanks". Especially if this required a new graphic card :cool:

BTOH, it is a deep mistery why the game was rated "16 years" - especially in these conditions.

Fortunately, this is no problem for me (I wish I was 16 again :) ) but my son was devastated when he saw that.

Yeah, I find it very strange as well. But would you stop your son from playing it when you know the rating is ridicules?

In the UK the game is PEGI rated at age 16+ possibly because ofthe language as I can see no other reason for such a high age rating.
You mean the "Son of a " message ? Most teens under 16 would find this shocking, would they ?

Only if they never saw a TVset (one that is turned on I mean).

But would you stop your son from playing it when you know the rating is ridicules?

Can't answer that. Big Brother is watching :mad:

If this was a poll, I would vote for "no blood, thanks". Especially if this required a new graphic card :)

Fortunately, this is no problem for me (I wish I was 16 again :D ) but my son was devastated when he saw that.

Lol. I don't think a few blood splatters would need a new graphics card... That doesn't even make much sense.. If your game runs fine as it is now, of course you won't need a new GFX card.

If you already have a bad one the game won't run well even without the blood.

Btw there are already very good gfx cards and cheap, if your planing on replacing yours. :argh:

Hehe, well, I know I watched movies and played games never minding the rating when I was younger . Bring it on Big Brother!

Me too. All the time. I always had conscience of my actions. :cool:

Lol. I don't think a few blood splatters would need a new graphics card... That doesn't even make much sense.. If your game runs fine as it is now, of course you won't need a new GFX card.

What I meant was that I always prefer "tactical" (or plainly "gameplay") realism over the "graphical" realism.

I don't complain if I can have both, but many games sacrifice one to provide the other. And in many cases it is the gamepley that suffers to have nicer more spectacular 3d graphics. It would be sad if Altar went in the same direction with the UFO After* series, so my initial message was a warning against a (dangerous but possible) "more blood, less tactics" policy.

What I meant was that I always prefer "tactical" (or plainly "gameplay") realism over the "graphical" realism.

I don't complain if I can have both, but many games sacrifice one to provide the other. And in many cases it is the gamepley that suffers to have nicer more spectacular 3d graphics. It would be sad if Altar went in the same direction with the UFO After* series, so my initial message was a warning against a (dangerous but possible) "more blood, less tactics" policy.

Oh , I see. Then you're right. I agree that many games suffer from that issue: lots of graphics and poor gameplay, but I think that in this case that wouldn't be a problem.

If a mod is made, or if Altar adds blood to the game, I don't think it will mess with what is done in terms of gameplay.

I guess it would even enhance the gameplay since it would be possible for the player to easily acknowledge a serious hit on an enemy/alien :cool: .

Kaarna I'm trying to find out if it's possible to import the blood particles from Aftermath, but nobody that knows the answer has yet answered.

Good night to all. :)

I guess it would even enhance the gameplay since it would be possible for the player to easily acknowledge a serious hit on an enemy/alien :)

Now you're right ram0s, sometimes it's difficult to tell a dead mutant from a healthy one (to say nothing of injured / unconscious).

Reticulans (as almost humanoids) seem to fell in positions that suggest a bad condition, but some mutants when dead look very much like they still stand.

A visual hint about enemy health condition would be welcome indeed.

Please guys, help me on this if you can. :mad:

In aftermath, on the gamedata.vfs, in this directory -> tactical/configs/game/ there's a config file named listofcreature.txt .

This config file is responsible for giving the models their correspondent Hit effect (blood, alien slime, etc), as well as the sound they make when they are hit.

I unpacked gamedata.vfs from AfterShock, went to see if there was the same file, but it's different. In afterschock, there's only tactical/configs and the game folder disappeared. I searched everywhere and did not find any file named listofcreature.txt on Aftershock.

My doubt (and fear) is that there isn't even a particle system on aftershock :) , since the only thing refering to particles that I found on Aftershock, was smoke effects, and those where in the shader format *.glsl .

Now my question is : To implement particle effects, they had to be made from scratch, as in when the game was still in development, or there's the possibility of adding those hit effects, with a few lines added to a config file (which I don't know what the right file is), and importing those blood_*.pgrp with the corresponding *.cfg files to Aftershock, so the effect works as in Aftermath ?

Please correct me if I'm saying anything wrong.

Good night.

The god of war demands blood ;)

@ rams im afraid i cant help you either with this, im a modeller not a coder :(

This question should be forwared straight to altair, without the official mod tools

only god knows what the engine can do. And of course altair...

*Hint for Slaughter to ask about particle systems and mod tools*

Thank you for the support :( .

Btw, if it wasn't Caelum giving me a key hint , I would still be wondering about the right files to modify :( .

I just need to , unfortunately, let you know that so far, I've been having bad luck with it , but I'll continue trying more stuff .

Other thing that worries me, is the fact that this time, Altar decided to mix almost everything in a single equipment.txt file :( which only makes searching for the right things harder , as well as it may conflict with other popular mods that modify that same equipment.txt file .

I'll try to keep you on the loop, and credits to Caelum ! ;)