Been a while

HARD_Sarge

Hi guys

well been a while since I was here last :cool:

I seen that Aftershock was released and have just ordered it, hope to get it monday

did we ever get that bug fixed,, so the game can end ?

I was never able to fight the final battle, each patch said they had fixed the pathway, but each time I got to that point, I couldn't enter the last room

hope Aftershock is a winner and can't wait for some more of you guys mods to kick in and make it better

HARD_Sarge

(been busy, I am a beta tester for a number of war games, stuck in the middle of 5 of them right now :) )

Welcome back HARD_Sarge! I don't know if the bug was fixed, but people did finish the game, so I imagine it was.

As for Aftershock, it's SO much better than Aftermath. Had a lot of bugs though, but the first patch took care of most of them. Harder on the hardware than Aftermath though.

Ya, i have a Geforce 6800le and sometimes i get slow downs becuase of the ragdolls but then it fixes itself.

Yea, I got a 3.4 gig CPU, 3 Gigs of Ram, and the fancy Vid card like yours, and the demo was hanging up

Hi Slaughter

the last patch I had said they fixed the path way inside of the UFO's, but I still had trouble with them, last mission, I couldn't enter the short hallway to the last room/battle

some people said there was another way in, but I couldn't find it following there advice

I think I remember you could win the game other then the last battle, but I gave up

Looking forward to tomorrow, so I can get started, have already downloaded a number of the Mod's :)

I've never had any pathing issues with the final mission. If there were any pathing issues, they must have been fixed by the patches.

There is a task that you have to complete before the door to the final room can be opened. There are a number of objects that look like some sort of incubators for baby Reticulans on the other side of the map. Several of them have to be destroyed first. I think the ones that have to be destroyed are highlighted by a coloured square, just like in the destroy important installation missions. I take lots of acid grenades for this job.

Once all the highlighted objects have been destroyed, the door to the final room can be opened in the same way as a door in a human or alien base.

• 3 years later...
There is a task that you have to complete before the door to the final room can be opened. There are a number of objects that look like some sort of incubators for baby Reticulans on the other side of the map. Several of them have to be destroyed first. I think the ones that have to be destroyed are highlighted by a coloured square, just like in the destroy important installation missions. I take lots of acid grenades for this job.

Once all the highlighted objects have been destroyed, the door to the final room can be opened in the same way as a door in a human or alien base.

So I went to visit an installation mission today. It's the kind where you have to destroy the object(s) inside the yellow square. Screenie:

https://www.postimage.org/Pq1G9woA.jpg

I don't have acid grenades, just some assault rifles and a handful of normal grenades and an incendiary grenade. Problem is, I can't seem to destroy anything inside the square. Tried to attack with grenades, but can't figure out how to do it. Tried to attack with rifles and nothing happens. How do I complete the mission? Do I need specialized weapons or something? If so, what? I'm at my wits end trying to figure it out. Besides this issue, specifically what do I need to destroy in the square? :)

Edit: nevermind. I figured out how to attack with a grenade (grenade in hand --> attack button --> right click destination of throw). All this right clicking is driving me bonkers. Aargh! :) At least that mission is over. Three of my guys improved. :)

- Zombie

After my very first mission that involved that nodular biomass thingy or whatever it is, I've never gone on a mission without some form of explosive device on my soldiers. You can't harm it with basic firearms if I remember correctly. Couldn't end the mission the first time thanks to not bringing any explosives, hence why I'm adamant about at least having one regular grenade on my team. :) (later on the various rocket launchers fill that role easily)

To make things easier, try to get used to the keyboard shortcuts, like A for attack and C to cancel all current orders. They save a lot of clicks, and that in turn helps you get used to this whole right-click nonsense. The alternative is worse: flipping your mouse buttons in the control panel. :)

- NKF

After my very first mission that involved that nodular biomass thingy or whatever it is, I've never gone on a mission without some form of explosive device on my soldiers. You can't harm it with basic firearms if I remember correctly. Couldn't end the mission the first time thanks to not bringing any explosives, hence why I'm adamant about at least having one regular grenade on my team. :) (later on the various rocket launchers fill that role easily)

My rifles didn't do squat to anything in the yellow square, so you are correct. I have been equipping my troops with at least one grenade since I started playing. Unfortunately, I never got around to using them in combat. The rifles are so much better than a shotgun, an UZI, or a frag grenade. :)

To make things easier, try to get used to the keyboard shortcuts, like A for attack and C to cancel all current orders. They save a lot of clicks, and that in turn helps you get used to this whole right-click nonsense. The alternative is worse: flipping your mouse buttons in the control panel. :)

I never use keyboard shortcuts. That's just another level of things which I need to remember. All I wanna do is play a game straight out of the box without memorizing the new functions of 20-30 keys. I don't care how straight-forward the substitutions are either, I can never remember a single one in the heat of a battle. And I'm not about to start jotting them all down.

I probably should have started playing this game first instead of Silent Storm. Then the right-clicking thing wouldn't be so hard to get used to. Still, from all my years playing X-COM, I don't think it would have helped to play AM first. All the strategy games I know use the left mouse button for most things. :)

- Zombie