X-Com: UFO on XP; weird video problem, please help, please

Crafty

Hey, any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Playing X-Com: UFO Defense, the Collector's Edition. Computer is a Dell Inspiron 1100, using Windows XP with SP2. I've had the game for about a week. Every time I start playing, whether I'm in battlescape or the global view, the color of everything -- or sometimes just certain parts of the screen -- will change color and basically be unviewable. It looks like a negative of a photo, or maybe all the black is taken out of the picture.

I am running this with the dxdiag fix as opposed to any patch.

The game uses a palette, and something is corrupting yours.

Once it happens, you need to quit out and restart the game to get graphics back to normal.

To prevent it happening, close as many other programs down as possible, especially ones which use DirectX. Paint programs, for example, or movie players are notorious for it.

Like Bomb Bloke said, certain programs running in the background can really play havoc with the colors. I have a tendancy to multi-task while playing this game and sometimes there may be 5-6 programs running besides X-COM. Microsoft Office products like Excel and Word are infamous for causing a conflict, as well as certain music players like Jukebox, media players, and even a few popular web browsers. I don't mind the occasional color changes, but to some this is a little wierd. To be on the safe side, just close all your programs and it should play fine. :)

- Zombie

Like Bomb Bloke said, certain programs running in the background can really play havoc with the colors. I have a tendancy to multi-task while playing this game and sometimes there may be 5-6 programs running besides X-COM. Microsoft Office products like Excel and Word are infamous for causing a conflict, as well as certain music players like Jukebox, media players, and even a few popular web browsers. I don't mind the occasional color changes, but to some this is a little wierd. To be on the safe side, just close all your programs and it should play fine. :)

- Zombie

Thanks a ton to both of you. I think it was Netscape that was causing probs. Now I shut it down and it's all good.