help!

ace gambino

hello everybody, I used to play x com enemy unknown when i was a we lad in short trousers on play station one. now ive grown up (slightly) where can i find the game on pc im running a sony laptop with windows xp!!!! top site by the way glad to see the game is still welll loved

https://www.xcomufo.com is a great site.  That's all I have to say.  *cough* go there to downloads for the game *cough*

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the games have not been available via xcomufo.com for over 3 months in order to dissassociate free downloads with the development of Xenocide. There is a list of retailers that supply the collector's edition of the games on the download page, though.

-Micah

micahdg@xcomufo.com

www.xcomufo.com

have you tried e-bay. the problem is tht it will run at an incredible speed on a cumputer with a pentium proscesor (i't made for the 486) :tank:

You can download a program that slows the processor, thus making the game run in a more normal speed.

https://www.xcomufo.com is a great site.  That's all I have to say.  *cough* go there to downloads for the game *cough*

Better do something about that cough, dear. A cough like that can cause you to have to leave the site for a while to recuperate. We don't endorse downloading games here. Thankfully, when I checked the site you linked, neither do they.

If you want, I can give you access to the first CD (X-Com 1 & 2) of the Collector's Edition on my FTP. I dunno how "legal" this is, but the games are pretty old and X-Com 1 & 2 must LIVE ON!

Just don't tell the cops, please... :angel:

If you want, I can give you access to the first CD (X-Com 1 & 2) of the Collector's Edition on my FTP.  I dunno how "legal" this is, but the games are pretty old and X-Com 1 & 2 must LIVE ON! 

Just don't tell the cops, please... :angel:

X-COM won't live on if people don't keep purchasing it legally. If you don't know how legal something is, find out before you post, please. I really do hate to be so admin-ish so early in the morning, you know. :tank:

I don't mean to cause a ruckus. If these boards don't allow for ftp services, then I won't offer it in the future.

But if you think for a minute that buying old software out of bargin bins or from e-Bay is supporting the game, then bless your naive souls. The money spent is going to retailer or auctioneer, not the game developers or publishers. The only way to support software through purchasing is during the inital release or directly from the company and then registering your product.

Seeing as how Hasbro no longer owns the rights to X-Com and Microprose is gone, the games are practically abandonware, unless Mr. Meier does something with the license. I suppose an argument can be made that one could write a letter to Firaxis after buying the game, but how many have you written your letter?

I could care less about the rest of the X-Com series other than UFO and TFTD. Genesis was scrapped, and only old vets really know about these two wonderful games. I have no qualms about giving out copies on the off-chance than some new fan will be born before the game can't even be played anymore. However, I won't do it here.

P.S.- It's Kemuri. No "N", please. :tank:

Have faith in Sid, Kemuri. He has yet to let me down on something that he had influence over. I don't know of any really bad games that he has made, or when he hadn't responded to the wishes of his potential customers. Firaxis is a very good company for listening to complaints or requests. Civilization III's game mechanics are drastically different from when it was released, due to the number of patches that the changes requested of the game required. Besides, Firaxis gets the royalties from the bargain bin sales, whether it costs $1.00 or $20.00.

Ace, for your problem, have you looked for a copy of the Collector's Edition of X-COM? It comes with UFO, TFTD, and Apocalypse. Also comes with a nasty graphics bug on the first two, but there is a fix out for that by f0dder.

Here's an Amazon link for it, a little pricey though.

X-COM at Amazon.com

Here's an eBay auction, better act quick though.

eBay Auction

Thanks for all the suggestions, i finall found a copy on an americn website and got it this morning very quick service. Any ideas why the video adn everyhting else is running well fuzzy, i basically cant play the game. Im running win xp on a pretty quick machine, any ideas greatly apprecaitted.

Time for a quote i feel

Nothing is real - John Lennon. I thank you.

To fix the fuzziness, Ace, just click Start --> Run. From there, type in 'dxdiag' without the quotes and then click the 3rd tab, Display. Near the middle you should see "Disable" buttons. Find the button next to DirectDraw Acceleration and Disable it. Now, the game will run fine. When you're done playing, just remember to enable it again if you want to play something else.

EDIT: Forgot the most important part!

GIVE EGO_TERRORIST MONEY! :tank::P:D:D