You guys, get a load'a this

Preda

This is a quote from Amazon.co.uk. If it has been posted before, mods delete this topic.

Manufacturer's Description

There is a great and incredibly developed civilization in our galaxy – the Reticulans. They spread across the space over millennia eventually reaching the Earth. Only few planets can support the life and thus each that qualifies is of great interest to the Reticulans. Reticulans have traveled to the Earth couple of times, using conventional engines (one journey has taken them hundreds of human years), but the rapidly accelerating evolution of the mankind has created the necessity of building an extremely expensive device – Quantum Portal (or Qport) – a hyperspace connection build on the principle of quantum resonance, allowing the traveler to cover thousands of light years in one step. The Qport was finished in 1937, according to human era; connecting Earth to the rest of Reticulans transportation system and soon after the Reticulans activity multiplies. Hundreds of theirs starships traveled between Qport and Reticulan bases, which they quickly founded in the remote areas of all the major countries. Such an activity explains why the most contacts with the UFO were made in the second half of the 20th century. All the Reticulans (around 50) based on Earth were scientists and their support personnel, since they did not expect any sort of interference with the natives. The biggest nations of the world (Americans, Russians and Chinese) have developed a strange connection with Reticulans and spent lots of money on research of their technologies and intentions. This is where the whole story begins.

At least we now know what that Q means ;)

WOW! I've never read that before ;) My guess is that they amended the description for Aftermath when Aftershock came out in the hope that people who brought Aftershock first would want to go out and buy Aftermath.

I'm going to have to remember this topic when I get round to updating the fanfic FAQ to take Aftershock into account.

So the Qport was finished in 1937 then? That gives rise to one or two interesting questions about the Reticulans and the Second World War. Did they interfere, and if so, which side did they support?

That gives rise to one or two interesting questions about the Reticulans and the Second World War.  Did they interfere, and if so, which side did they support?

WWII lasted for 6 years because there was some force balancing that prevented it form ending swiftly. Thus the tiniest extraterestrial support for one side should have the war end rapidly, which it did not.

Besides, most of the technology and equipment used are now "public domain" and they don't look at all extraterestrial. In fact, the most important invention of the 40's (thus more likely to require outside help) was the transistor in 1947, which came after the war and could'nt play any part in it.

So, IMHO the Reticulans are no WWII vets! To sustain this statement, I can suggest several answers to the tough question: "what did these folks do when everyone else was busy with the war ?"

Explanation #1: Earth governments successfully hide to the Reticulans that a war was going on, to avoid the Earth civilization rating to plumett.

Explanation #2: Reticulans learned about the war and immediately withdrew all personnel from Earth (and secured the QPort with a ... QLock) then waited to see who wins, to come back later and congratulate the winner of course.

Explanation #3: Reticulans learned about the war and wanted to get involved, but couldn't reach an agreement on the side to support and this plunged their civilization into war too.

In any case, the outcome of WWII didn't seem the "wrong" one for Reticulans as they were still on Earth 50 years later busy to sacrifice themselves for the sake of developing a good game!

No. Why would the Reticulans care about WWII at all? Maybe they just examined the way humans fight against each other, under what circumstances and with what tactics. As the description says, they only care about the planet, and we're on their way. The probably would've intervened if nuclear weapons were used more thoroughly during WWII and the Cold War, because they would've severely damaged the planet and render it a barren, radioactive wasteland unsuitable for colonization.

PS: Agh! Why has Pete implanted himself in every post! ;)

Maybe the various atrocities committed during the war convinced the Reticulans that the agression and intolerance of humanity means we don't have much of a future anyway, so it wouldn't be a big loss to the galaxy if they wipe us out.

If they were concerned about the environmental damage that a nuclear war would have caused, I wonder how they would have felt about all those nuclear power plants. They would hav had to find a way to safely decommission them unless they wanted all that radiation ruining their experiments.

Really, like, didn't you read in the glossary that they contacted us in the '40s. What's the war got to do with that, it had already started. If they noticed it, the wisest thing they cold've done (and did) was to wait out and contact the winers, i.e. USA and the Soviets.

They probably spent those 8-9 years studying the solar system.

I knew that according to the glossary they officially made unofficial contact with the major governments (who kept the contact secret from the public) in the 1940s, but that doesn't mean to say that they weren't observing the planet and quietly interfering with events before that.

Also, Aftermath doesn't reveal much about what the mainstream Reticulans thought about Earth. Maybe it was a simple trading relationship (technology for art) or maybe they were trying to ensure that our civilization does not collapse when we run out of oil.

Or maybe there was something in what the Cyborg leader said when you first encounter the Cyborgs in Aftershock. He theorised that Earth was chosen for the experiments because the Reticulans wanted to eliminate a potential rival while they could. Maybe that was partly why the renegades picked Earth for their twisted experiments.

Since humanity developed rocketry and atomics during the war with the purpose of killing other humans more efficiently, I suspect that the Reticulans would not have been too enthusiastic about us developing advanced spaceflight

WOW!  I've never read that before :phew:  My guess is that they amended the description for Aftermath when Aftershock came out in the hope that people who brought Aftershock first would want to go out and buy Aftermath.

I'm going to have to remember this topic when I get round to updating the fanfic FAQ to take Aftershock into account.

So the Qport was finished in 1937 then?  That gives rise to one or two interesting questions about the Reticulans and the Second World War.  Did they interfere, and if so, which side did they support?

This research does not allow for the pre intervention 'hollow Earth theory' or the 'Nazi, Antartic theory'?