Unknown feature

Hobbes

I was just editing the stores on one of my bases so that I could research Alien Reproduction (an UFOPedia entry left out of the game) when I saw another feature that I had never heard of: Alien Habitat

Anyone knows what the heck that is? The game doesn't allow you to research it but I'm guessing it would be those tropical gardens usually found on alien bases.

I'd agree with Hobbes. I'd guess it's the huge gardens... And no DG1 the original XCom IS the original XCom. Like Apocalypse there were just certain ideas that didn't make it past the drawing board... Therefore habitat and reproduction (and maybe more!) were in the game but not researchable...

If you edit a savegame you can add 1 Alien Reproduction to the base's stores and then your scientists can research it. The UFOPedia entry for it is of an alien baby swimming in a cloning tank and the text explains it a bit.

I just went back to the editor and gave it another look....there's also an item there called UFO Construction that you can add to the base's stores (and sell for 20k since you can't also research it). My guess is that they picked it up later for TFTD as Alien Sub Construction.

Actually if you count the number of entries on the section UFO Components/Submersible Technologies of both games they both total nine, if you include Alien Habitat and UFO Construction on UFO. The TFTD designers must have simply activated those features and put them on the game.

I haven't heard of alien habitat, and I've played a LOT of X-Com. So I'm guessing it's another older version. :tank:

I'm going to have to go out and collect all the different types one day. :hmmm:

But anyway, TFTD has Alien Re-Animation zone, and you can't research that, either. :P

This is the UFOPedia entry for Alien Reproduction:

These chambers contain alien foetuses. The design of these containers seems to suggest that the aliens which use this process rely completely on laboratory reproduction. The rich nutrients ensure rapid development of the foetus. This factory line system could generate thousands of alien clones in a short space of time. The process could be easily adapted for human reproduction, or alien-human hybrids.

That particular disabled feature can be researched if you add it in with a store editor.

I believe once seeing an old screenshot of the game well before it was released. I recall it was a sort of blue-ish panel with a picture of a rocket launcher and a portrait of a 3d-polygon rendered soldier. Now that was completely different from what we are now all familiar with.

- NKF

• 1 year later...

Here's an interesting query... What was in the central room on a Supply ship's second floor... I never managed to not blow one up so the only thing I ever saw was a big hole in the floor and what seemed to resemble one of the cutting arms from an alien harvesting suite...

Answers on a postcard!

Here's an interesting query... What was in the central room on a Supply ship's second floor... I never managed to not blow one up so the only thing I ever saw was a big hole in  the floor and what seemed to resemble one of the cutting arms from an alien harvesting suite...

Answers on a postcard!

Ummm... Sorry, I'm out of postcards at the moment. How would a post do?

Anyways, that central room with two doors on Level 1 of a Supply Ship contains 2 units of "Alien Surgery". The setup looks quite similar to the Alien Surgery found on Level 0 of a Harvester. The only difference is the Harvester has 8 units of Alien Surgery, and a "trap door" built into the floor to collect cattle. How the aliens are able to lug a huge cow to Level 1 of the Supply Ship without a trap door is beyond me! :P

And how would they fit it in too :P it's not a large room! I always thought it looked more like maybe human surgery or something but then I thought why on a supply ship? So I wonder if that was originally meant to be something to do with alien cloning/reproduction... After all, aliens need to be supplied just like weapons :)

I imagine they often have occasion for on-the-spot surgery - on the food. Hah, yes! They might have misjudged the proportion of their food and so need to downsize it a bit before cramming it into those nutrient vats.

Or they're just transporting it as supplies. Why they put the machines together for transport... hmm. Haven't a clue, but why do the aliens do most things the way they do it?

- NKF

I think we should add this thread to the long list of unanswered questions we already have...

Do sectoids really exist...

Why don't aliens wear shoes...

And where do they carry their extra ammunition...

Log it into the archive boys, some things we just are not meant to know :P