Game difficulty - maybe I missed something

cduke

Hi guys,

I kinda suprised how tough this game is. I just started my first campaign which sets me off at germany. The tutorial missions were really easy. I've also played the demo which was easy too.

The first thing I tried to do was to capture Italy, so I selected it and clicked the mission button. The game told me that I have to capture the leader to convert Italy to my territory - ok here we go. Now, here's where I'm stuck: I have to fight with my 4 plain stupid men against six fully armed (automatic rifles) enemy soldiers in full armor. As you can imagine I have no chance against them. I one managed to get three of em down, but I was wiped afterwards. One more thing: they seem to be some kind of Kamikaze-Warriors, because one of them threw a grenade right into the four of my men haveing two enemy soldiers standig close to them. So he killed three of my men and two of his. Excuse me - this is no tactical gaming - this is just stupid. Never read anything about suicide warriors in the manual.

Anyway - I think I started playing somehow wrong - maybe you can give me a hint, why I met those well equipped guys so early in game? There seems to be something wrong for my taste.

Best regards - TIA!

cduke

Yeah, you should pick on the mutants, and help the humans when they ask for it.

You can't really fight the humans/cyborgs until you have got a sound footing.

You basically took on a way too hard mission to start with.

Wait for a bit and someone will ask for your help. Meanwhile start looking at other provinces with the mission button. Your looking for a HELP US mission or a kill all the mutants mission

Ok - thanks. That's approximately what I thought so I'll give it a try.

Regards,

cduke

LOL! I learned the hard way against to Borgs. But I had restarted the mission half a dozen time and even got close to capturing him once before two rocket launchers sniped me from halfway across the map. ;)

Now I play nice. But when I am a bit stronger those freaks better be ready... ;)

I couldn't go against Cyborgs until my men were about level 6 and even then I only won my first mission against tehm using shotguns at close quarters. In the open with their weaponery they're deadly.

Don't worry, they're MUCH easier later in the game. Then you get harder enemies. Then they become simple, then you get different harder enemies... ;)

If a territory is owned by humans, cyborgs or psionics, you should never try to conquer it in the early stages of the game. It isn't just that you are picking a fight with somebody stronger than yourself, but you suffer a massive diplomatic penalty.

The three human factions you encounter on are your only source of new recruits throughout the entire game. Making a faction angry with you means that no more troops of their kind will join your ranks until you improve your relationship.

If a mission to attack a province belonging to the humans, cyborgs or psionics comes up, you should ignore it (at least in the early stages). Either wait a few hours and instigate a new mission in that province (it will often have a different objective to the one you ignored) or wait for the inhabitants of the province to ask for help.

Thanks for all of your replies. I tried it yesterday in the evening and it works! Hey! No more being wiped! Thank you guys! I know I could have figured this out with a little bit of thinking, but I was used to the previous UFO/X-COM games, where you could take on any mission you'd like.

greetz cduke