LOS Performanec

Silencer

Does everyone get virtually unplayable performance when line of sight mode is enabled? If I have line of sight mode enabled and the time is running (any speed besides pause) the performance drops to levels that are ridiculously slow. I can't even control the screen properly. I try to scroll the screen and nothing happens then it jumps way farther than I wanted to go, rotation is extremely jerky and does the same thing with long pauses and huge jumps, and virtually everything else including the game speed itself slows to a crawl.

If I pause the game everything works fine again, and I suspect it must be the line of sight calculations for the aliens as they move around (as it happens even if my guys are standing still), but this is honestly ridiculous. Is there some setting or tweak I can do so that line of sight is actually usable? The only part of my machine that MIGHT be causing this is the fact that I only have 512mb of ram in it at the moment (new ram had a bad stick, waiting for replacements) but even that is within the requirements so I'm not sure. Is there anything I can do besides not using line of sight mode and having lots of my guys killed because I 'missed' a spot that I thought I had cleared?

On some graphic cards, the game will disable the LoS button. This is probably because either the lack of special graphical functions in the card, or the game precalculating an aberrant performance drop if allowed to be used. Other special views can also be affected, like Psi and infrared.