When ripping graphics from the game..

Dieter Hafner

Ah yes, let me guess, for the collectors edition, right? Alt+printscreen gets the picture all right, but it doesn't grab the game's palette. Pasting the image doesn't help, since it converts all the seemingly black bits to ... well, black, so all the image information is lost.

The collectors edition of UFO and TFTD introduce a screenshot key. F12. Press it at any time and the current screen will be saved as a .tga file in your game directory. It's pixel perfect too, since the .tga files are 320x200, whereas using the printscreen method in the old dos games would produce a 640x400 image instead.

But that's just for screenshots. For extracting the individual graphics, you'll need some utilities for that. I think you can find some in XTC's file section.

- NKF

What graphics are you after?

use Pck_view for unit, weapon, and terrain

use xcview for background images and uniforms

the real importing thing to consiter is that the images are copyrighted.

this :tank: smilly is probably pushing the edge of legality,

But the images in the upper-left of each page look to be fan made art, and is more of a gray area.

in general screen captures are ok if used for informational things like game reviews.

the xcom francise has been passed around so many times that it is hard to know who holds copyrights for what. Or how far they will go to protect the Intilectual Property.

Some of us are working on a uniform replacment project, that if done incorectly can get us into some trouble for distributing copyrighted images.

-BladeFireLight

as long as you're not using the images to make profits, and you mention somewhere that the image is courtesy of microprose you should be fine in the legal department, and the worst they can do to you, afaik, is tell you to stop distributing it.

as for getting in-game screenshots, i just use the print screen key, then go into mspaint and paste into a new bitmap (or in photoshop if i want a jpg) but that's just me, since i have the old version

If you can get XED to run on your computer, it has a pck viewer for the Apocalypse files. I know you can use it to export the images, but I'm not sure about importing them.

Rather interesting actually. There are tons of unused sprites in the game -- which is rather a pity really. Some of them look quite decent. Like the armoured COS and gangster sprites, and the android civilians.

- NKF

Yeah there's a lot of stuff they didn't add there, the tracker guns and all that type of stuff...

*desperately trying to switch it back to UFO*

...Anyone ever been to that one site... uh, its not xcomufo.com, something else... well anyways they have a bunch of pics of unused stuff from UFO. Like a severed Floater floating device, new ammo for the small launcher, couple other things too. I forget the site though, someone prolly knows it.