...Laputa?

ShadowBlade

I've just read that the flying island of UFO:AS is called "Laputa". That's preposterous. Did you know that "Laputa" translates as "Thewhore"/"Thebitch"/"Theprostitute" in Spanish (two words put together)? I mean, developers should really pay more attention to what the names they pick actually mean. This is not the first time this happens: there's an anime series called "Laputa: Castle in the Sky", and in X-COM, the Kabron (Cabrón = Asshole, in Spanish) Pirates. I could overlook the Kabron because it wasn't so severe and the term was used to refer to a bunch of scum, so it was moderately OK.

Anyway, those are my thoughts... :(

Have you ever read "Gulliver's travels"?

This issue has been discused before, here and at the other boards. And being a spanish person living in Spain, the only people that would translate it are those that have never read that book. It isn't that big of a deal.

In regards of the "translation" of insults and/or swear-words, I would just like to clarify, that many of them can't really be translated as they usually don't tend to keep their insulting connotation or simply make no sense. So, while "cabrón" isn't really "asshole" it's a good equivalent in getting the idea across.

Cabrón: Goat (male)

Cabra..: Goat (female)

Note that in Spain at least, the term normally used when translating is the second, cabra for both male and female goats. As you might of guessed, this is due to the generalized insulting connotation of the male version.

:( Shadowblade.

I for one never knew that Laputa meant that.There sure is a strange smell though in this Laputa,wish I could open the windows.

Maybe the Laputa is mans last hope at procreation,as all the women have become Psionics and dont like us human males anymore. :(

I am sure this will enrage feminists out there,but who cares.

The Laputa has been my home for the last 31 years what do you expect? :(

Cheers.

There seem to be a lot of similarities between the Laputans of Gullivers Travels and the Laputans of Aftershock. Both groups have little practical knowledge of engineering, which is why the Aftershock Laputans were unable to fix their malfunctioning systems and have lost so much knowledge at the beginning of the game. And the method of getting down to the surface is rather similar.

https://buscon.rae.es/diccionario/drae.htm

just type in cabrón (remember the accent) and read the 6th entry of many. Didn't knew about some of them myself. It is indeed an obsolete word that use, here, when they require to specify the male gender it is said "macho cabrío". You can search each word separetly in that dictionary.

Note: this is a spanish diccionary relative to Spain wich would be completely unreadable for non-spanish reading people, so don't even try and go there, just keep on deploying your nice little pod from "thewhore".

As a second note, there might be inconsistencies with the american spanish language due to linguistic "evolution", accents and other human caracteristics.

There was an anime out some time about ten/fifteen years ago which I've watched, that was about an heir to a flying island called "Laputa". I think it's out on DVD now, though my current priority on anime DVDs is Nausicaa, which I had on VHS as Warriors of the Wind, and Ghost in the Shell, which I'm currently collecting the Stand Alone Complex series of. I'm at number 6 of the DVDs, which is episodes 1 to 24 got and waiting 7 to come out with episodes 25+

https://buscon.rae.es/diccionario/drae.htm

just type in cabrón (remember the accent) and read the 6th entry of many. Didn't knew about some of them myself. It is indeed an obsolete word that use, here, when they require to specify the male gender it is said "macho cabrío". You can search each word separetly in that dictionary.

Note: this is a spanish diccionary relative to Spain wich would be completely unreadable for non-spanish reading people, so don't even try and go there, just keep on deploying your nice little pod from "thewhore".

As a second note, there might be inconsistencies with the american spanish language due to linguistic "evolution", accents and other human caracteristics.

Even then, the social connotation and meaning is very strong and can't be denied. After all, bitches, cocks and beavers are all animals, yet nowadays they're invariably used to refer to... other stuff. Even "fuck" isn't supposed to be that offensive: it means Fornicating Under Concern of the King. See? The social view on the words is everything, and even though "cabrón" is mostly used only in Spain, the rest of Spanish speakers know its meaning very well.

Try reading these sentences with the proper meaning and then the insulting meaning in mind:

- "Mom, can I have a bitch for my birthday? Please, pretty please"

- "Hey, y'all, my cock's hard on the chickens lately! Yeehaw"

And Darkfyre, that's the series I mentioned earlier, Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

Very interesting.

I propose we have a toast in the honour of all the dead kings and all the slang words they invented! :(

I think the Swedish have a king to this day,but his native tongue is Swedish so,I guess we are unique in that respect.I wish we even HAD a king myself,instead of the bloody arsehole politicians running everything."OFF WITH THEIR HEADS" :(

Mods:I think you had better put this thread in the politics and miscellaneous section now. :(

Most likely. The term dates back the Middle Ages, and you were (and still are) the only English speaking country with a monarch

Well, that's because we're just better than everyone else. :(

Even then, the social connotation and meaning is very strong and can't be denied. After all, bitches, cocks and beavers are all animals, yet nowadays they're invariably used to refer to... other stuff. Even "fuck" isn't supposed to be that offensive: it means Fornicating Under Concern of the King. See? The social view on the words is everything, and even though "cabrón" is mostly used only in Spain, the rest of Spanish speakers know its meaning very well.

Try reading these sentences with the proper meaning and then the insulting meaning in mind:

- "Mom, can I have a bitch for my birthday? Please, pretty please"

- "Hey, y'all, my cock's hard on the chickens lately! Yeehaw"

Americans don't use the word 'cock' to refer to a male chicken. They invented the word 'rooster' because 'cock' was too rude and got them all hot under the collar. And no native English speaker would ask for a bitch, they would say 'dog'. They would then be asked if they wanted a bitch or a pup. Like anyone asking for an animal. Ever heard anyone say "I want a mare for my birthday."? No. They'd say "I want a horse for my birthday" and later get down to specifying the sex.

The social (i.e. vulgar) connotations are not the more important ones, they're simply another meaning for the word. They're not more or less important. The fact that they are used more often in the vulgar sense has little importance. Who gives a shit if 'Laputa' has a rude meaning in Spanish? Is anyone offended? Should we all start rampantly censoring ourselves? :(

Hey Full Auto.

Nice to meet a fellow countryman in here.Cheers!

As you say,who gives a shit about offending people with minor indiscrepencies such as 'swear words' ect.I think morality is weakness,censorship is just for the weak and 'it' should be censored and eradicated from every avenue of human society!

Enough now,no offence to anyone offended here,lets just get down to war and enjoy this thrilling game.

A rather controverisial figure in human history called Alistair Crowley once said "do what thou wilt,shall be the whole of the law".No truer words were ever said.

Crowley was a self proclaimed Magician/Sorcerer/Satanist/Rebel ect ect...he also formed the secret magical society 'the order of the golden dawn' ,which has its esoteric roots in ancient egypt.

We REALLY must put this section in the 'weird' part now LOL.

Sorry about this Moderators.

Hey Full Auto.

A rather controverisial figure in human history called Alistair Crowley once said "do what thou wilt,shall be the whole of the law".No truer words were ever said.

We REALLY must put this section in the 'weird' part now LOL.

Ahhh, good ol mr Crowley, always one to quote at dinner parties..:(

I'm really enjoying this thread, gives me something to read when the thought of more tactical analysis is making my brain ache.

Greetings from another fellow englishman.

Well, we can blame Jonathan Swift, I suppose (who, it has been noted elsewhere by one of my learned colleagues, detested women) or perhaps Hayao Miyazaki for perpetuating the title (Laputa: Castle in the Sky) but I don't honestly think it was the aim of the creators to give offence. It was clearly a reference to one (or both) of the previous works, and not besmirching the name of our fragrantly-scented fellow humans across the gender divide.

Like all crimes, intent counts. :(

Besides, if the vulgar usage is so popular, we'll soon become accustomed to it. You've got to use it more often, or you won't get desensitised. :(

Glad to be of service to the knowledged among us Minstar :(

Welcome,and have fun.

Crowley was indeed an intriguing and interesting chap,ever so misunderstood though,which has always been the case through human history where the Occult is concerned.

The Occult and Science FACTion are synonomous and mean the same in my opinion,both should be encouraged,and should be on the dinner menus for kids at school,instead of the usual tripe.

Well if you want to pursue a chat with me on this subject,and if it doesnt fit in with the general discussion on UFOAS,feel free to follow me into the 'off topic' section at the main section to this forum.

The Occult and Science FACTion are synonomous and mean the same in my opinion,both should be encouraged,and should be on the dinner menus for kids at school,instead of the usual tripe.

Heh, well it sure beats creationism and the flying spaggetti monster that's for sure. Luckily even though i went to a christian first school, my parents were 'open minded' and let me have access to anything I was interested in from the libray and personal stocks.

I actually think that's why i like the Xcom games, there's a sense of realism in it, science theory as opposed to science fiction. Now, if you could summon up Cthulu to defeat the wargot, now THAT would be a great ending...:(

Shall def be on the off topic forums methinks.

*stays on topic*

Errrrrr, plasma rifles, the track system's useless!! PLAYING CARDS!!!!

Well, that's because we're just better than everyone else.  :(

Americans don't use the word 'cock' to refer to a male chicken.  They invented the word 'rooster' because 'cock' was too rude and got them all hot under the collar.  And no native English speaker would ask for a bitch, they would say 'dog'.  They would then be asked if they wanted a bitch or a pup.  Like anyone asking for an animal.  Ever heard anyone say "I want a mare for my birthday."?  No.  They'd say "I want a horse for my birthday" and later get down to specifying the sex.

The social (i.e. vulgar) connotations are not the more important ones, they're simply another meaning for the word.  They're not more or less important.  The fact that they are used more often in the vulgar sense has little importance.  Who gives a shit if 'Laputa' has a rude meaning in Spanish?  Is anyone offended?  Should we all start rampantly censoring ourselves?  :(

Trying to stay on topic, the sentences were just examples! Of course nobody says that, but that's because of the social understanding of the terms. That's what I'm trying to explain. People would say something like that if you removed all the social prejudices from the picture.

And sure, the game's released in English for English-speaking people, so nobody cares if "Laputa" means anything in some other language, but what if the flying island were named "Whore City"? That'd be entirely different, wouldn't it? :(

Shadowblade.

I really dont' think it would upset many so called 'red blooded males' these days.If the Laputa was called "whore city" then it would probably only serve to intensify their insatiable lust to get laid by any means possible,and they would go on the rampage looking for any unsuspecting whores.If they couldnt find any whores then they would probably look for any inviting piece of exhaust pipe,or a small air shaft maybe? :(

I have to say I have never had the pleasure of getting aqquainted with a whore,and I dont' think I ever will!They are just too bloody expensive! :(

This is REALLY off topic now.

:(

Well I guess it would make the game appear very controversial i'll agree to that,but be honest,do many people really care about word definitions and terminologies at the end of the day?,I sure as hell don't,all I am concerned about is enjoying a great game,and finishing it with a sense of acomplishment,by ridding this world of all weak humans! :mad:

Only joking,obviously.

Well..I WOULD like to end SOME life,just not all of it.

I think you would be spared... :(

Trying to stay on topic, the sentences were just examples! Of course nobody says that, but that's because of the social understanding of the terms. That's what I'm trying to explain. People would say something like that if you removed all the social prejudices from the picture.

And sure, the game's released in English for English-speaking people, so nobody cares if "Laputa" means anything in some other language, but what if the flying island were named "Whore City"? That'd be entirely different, wouldn't it?

The fact is, 'Laputa' in this instance does NOT mean 'the whore/the bitch'. It's a reference to one of the two previous works. Swift's original usage of 'Laputa' probably did mean 'the whore/the bitch' but that is not what is being referred to here. 'Laputa' in the English language means 'a flying town/castle'. You have to understand that we are discussing a word that means two different things, one in English and one in Spanish. It's language-context sensitive.

I appreciate that you may find it offensive, but the word is being used in English, not Spanish, and therefore is not offensive. Even someone very thin-skinned can still see past the initial shock to what the creators intended, and understand that no offence was meant, no one's sensibilities were meant to be hurt, it's merely a nice reference.

As for naming it 'Whore City', you could, and I doubt the game's reputation would suffer at all. Besides, if a game is renowned for bad language/horrific violence or anything else shocking, that merely INCREASES sales.

As for the examples, no one uses them like that because they are structurally incorrect. No one would say "I want a bitch." NOT because of the vulgar meaning of the word 'bitch' but because the sex of the dog is relatively unimportant.

I see what you're trying to say in that "I would like a bitch." may be open to misinterpretation, but not to anyone with any sense. If people are so easily offended or totally lacking in common sense they'll die out, simply because society and the media are becoming more and more vulgar, and people who cannot drag their small minds away from the vulgar meaning of words will soon die of shame and embarrassment anyway. :(

I would like to clarify, for those that might of got confused by it, that the actual word for "whore" in spanish is "puta", the "la" is what I think it's called in english a feminine descriptive article, sintactically speaking, or was it semantically? Boy was and still am bad at that.

In essence, if you read "the Laputa" in spanish you would read "La Laputa" or "El Laputa" loosing all possible contextual relation with sexual related "labour".

BTW, a little note, if you where to translate "the floating island Laputa" or "the orbital ship Laputa" both would use the feminine translation of "The" "La", as both island and ship are feminine nouns in spanish, but when you refer to ship names, even if they are feminine, the article normally used is "El". There's probably even a rule about it somewhere...