Apoc starting

knight_of_the_ravens

okay look....i REALLY do NOT feel like going through the entire list for over an hour to find my answer so this is the last topic like this u will see....from me anywayz....but i'm using XP Pro...shitty but it's all i gots for now...all the final solutions on getting X-COM Apoc to run on it, please post here...i've got the X-COM Gold Collector's Edition...buffer problem u know and stuff...so what is the final answer to it all....and i mean all the answers to any of the problems...i'm going nuts.. :(

ps...any side effects? :(

In the files section, you'll find VDMSound. I've found this little program will even fix the flicky intro bug. You install it, find a DOS program (eg Apocalypse), right click the file and choose "Run with VDMS". It'll take you through a brief setup wizard, and produce a special shortcut file for you to use in future.

This allows you to handle the files/buffers issue (which really isn't that much of a problem), trounce the annoying sound glitchs, and even get the mouse working correctly. It's a 'silver bullet', so to speak.

Don't use VDMSound with DosBox. VDMSound emulates old sound cards for Dos software. DosBox is a Windows program which emulates Dos software. You use one OR the other, not one ON the other.

Think of VDMSound as DosBox without the speed issues. It won't run everything, so try it first, and use DosBox if it doesn't do the job for you.

Ok, I'm going to try the 'quick fix' approach. Attached is a zip file. Now that you've installed VDMSound, download it, and extract the files right into your game folder, allowing it to overwrite anything it asks about.

You'll see a file called 'xcomapoc' that is listed as a file of type 'VDMSound Shortcut'. Right click on this, then select 'properties'.

Up the top of the thingy that pops up, you'll see a line labeled as 'DOS command line'. Hit the 'Change' button.

See the line that reads 'c:\games\xcom3\MOUSE2KV.EXE'? Change that path so it points to your Apocalypse game folder. For example, say you installed to 'c:\xcomapoc', the new line would be 'c:\xcomapoc\MOUSE2KV.EXE'.

Now hit Ok, then hit Ok again in the window underneath... And double click the shortcut to start the game.

The intro probably won't work, so just hit space if it seems to freeze up. If you WANNA watch the intro, just quit the game right away, open up the shortcut properties, and tick (or untick) the 'Joystick emulation' check box. Repeat loading the game and ticking/unticking the joystick thingy until the wretched thing plays - it'll do it eventually.

If you still can't play the game, post the exact error messages and I'll take it from there.

XCOM3fix.zip

• 5 months later...

hello

im going to continue this post as i have the exact same problem.

now i followed both your methods. the first one didn't work at all (same as other person, i got an inactive window)

now the second method is interesting

i get a colour blurr of the xcom apocolyps colours, i cant tell what it is or anything. it looks like the game starts with it but there is something wrong

god i hope your still on this forum and can give me a hand

Just at the minute my version won't load. I'll mess with it when I have a bit more time (it being 11:30pm here).

Any sound? Does the image appear to animate? Does it change as you move your mouse? Can you try taking a screen shot (hold down alt + P)? If that works, is the resulting image file coherant?

What are your system specs? I'd assume XP Pro? What sort of video card?

ok, i am running a winXP Pro computer OS, with a on board graphics card (laptop samsung X05)

i cant take a screen shot because when i try to exit (windows kay, or alt ESC) my laptop gets a BSOD and i have just recently formatted :eh:

am so close yet so far

anyway, the image is completely distorted, when i move my mouse it DOES change in parts, but i cant be any more specific than that.

i have (for your ammusement) taken a VDMS log of the problem, and have attached it below :P

god this is annoying i cant attach it, so am going to be a nusance and post the entire log below (please delete it after your done with it)

@I - 00:03:59.153 - VDMServicesProvider
VDMServices initialized (hInstance = 0x10000000)
@I - 00:03:59.293 - SysExIndicator
ActivityLights initialized
@I - 00:03:59.493 - MIDIPlayer
MIDIOut initialized (device ID = -1, 'Microsoft MIDI Mapper')
@I - 00:03:59.493 - MIDIPlayer
Garbage collector thread created (handle = 0x00000170, ID = 2840)
@I - 00:03:59.553 - DMATransferManager
Transfer Manager thread created (handle = 0x000001ac, ID = 2844)
@I - 00:03:59.553 - DMATransferManager
TransferMgr initialized (minPeriod = 5ms, maxPeriod = 15ms)
@I - 00:03:59.654 - AdLibWavePlayer
Garbage collector thread created (handle = 0x000001d0, ID = 2848)
@I - 00:03:59.654 - AdLibWavePlayer
WaveOut initialized (device ID = -1, 'Primary Sound Driver / ')
@I - 00:03:59.744 - AdLibController
Using performance counter (3579545 ticks/s) for AdLib timing
Playback thread created (handle = 0x000001d4, ID = 2852)
AdLibCtl initialized (base port = 0x388, type = OPL3)
@I - 00:03:59.754 - SBWavePlayer
Garbage collector thread created (handle = 0x000001f8, ID = 2856)
@I - 00:03:59.754 - SBWavePlayer
WaveOut initialized (device ID = -1, 'Primary Sound Driver / ')
@I - 00:03:59.824 - DMATransferManager
DMA processing rate recovered to its normal value (upper bound =
15ms, last period = 15.00ms, current period = 15.00ms
@I - 00:03:59.834 - SBController
SBCompatCtl initialized (DSP version = 4.05, base port = 0x220, IRQ =
7, 8-bit DMA = 1, 16-bit DMA = 5)
@I - 00:03:59.894 - MPU401Controller
MPU401Ctl initialized (base port = 0x330, IRQ = 2)
@I - 00:04:00.094 - JoystickController
JoystickCtl initialized (no joysticks detected)
@I - 00:04:00.094 - JoystickController
Polling thread created (handle = 0x0000025c, ID = 2868)
@I - 00:04:00.204 - VDMServicesProvider
Created DOS process (0x0d63, 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\KB16.COM')
@I - 00:04:00.214 - VDMServicesProvider
Created DOS process (0x0ee1, 'C:\XCOMA\XCOMAPOC.EXE')
@I - 00:04:00.274 - VDMServicesProvider
Created DOS process (0x160c, 'ufoexe/smkp.exe')
@I - 00:04:00.325 - SBController
DSP reset - reinitializing DSP
@I - 00:04:00.385 - SBController
@I - 00:04:00.385 - SBController
startTransfer: Starting DMA transfer (playback) on ch. 1 (auto-init,
8192 samples/block): 8-bit mono 21739Hz, unsigned PCM
@I - 00:04:01.056 - SBWavePlayer
DirectSound primary buffer format is currently set to 44100Hz 16-bit
stereo
@W - 00:04:01.056 - SBController
HandleTransfer: DMA updates too infrequent (unable to keep up with
desired transfer rate), requesting boost
@I - 00:04:01.056 - SBController
HandleAfterTransfer: Interrupting (8-bit, x1) after 671ms, 8192 bytes
(terminal count)
@I - 00:04:01.056 - DMATransferManager
Boosting DMA processing rate by 30.0% at DMA handler's request
(period decreased from 15.00ms to 11.54ms), post-boost recovery rate
updated to 0.116%
@I - 00:04:01.156 - SBController
pauseTransfer: DMA transfer paused (ch. 1)
@I - 00:04:01.156 - SBController
@I - 00:04:01.176 - SBController
IRQ acknowledged (8-bit)
@I - 00:04:01.176 - VDMServicesProvider
Terminated DOS process (0x160c)
@I - 00:04:01.186 - VDMServicesProvider
Created DOS process (0x15fc, 'ufoexe/ufo2p.exe')
@I - 00:04:04.090 - SBController
@I - 00:04:04.100 - SBController
@I - 00:04:04.110 - SBController
startTransfer: Starting DMA transfer (playback) on ch. 1 (auto-init,
12288 samples/block): 8-bit mono 21739Hz, unsigned PCM
@I - 00:04:04.611 - SBController
HandleAfterTransfer: Interrupting (8-bit, x1) after 501ms, 12288
bytes (terminal count)
@I - 00:04:08.396 - DMATransferManager
DMA processing rate recovered to its normal value (upper bound =
15ms, last period = 15.00ms, current period = 15.00ms

Edit, Zombie: transformed into code.

To take a screenshot, you hold Alt + P. Don't have to push Alt + Esc or the Windows button. The screenshot command creates a file somewhere in your game directory for you.

Right click the VDMS shortcut you use to start the game, and select Properties. Under the VDMS tab, you should see "Enable basic VESA support". If that's already ticked, untick it. If it's not already ticked, tick it. Then give it another go.

right, i took the printscreen (alt p) but i cant find it anywere in the game directory :S

i tried what you suggested 4 times, no offect.

when i press the windows key or the alt Esc key to get back to windows, my graphics driver fucks up, my resolution changes from 1024X765 with 16 BIT, to 6BIT 600X800 res.

there is some sorf of error message, but it herts my eyes to read it. if you REALLY need it il get my dad to read it *snigger*

O CR*P I JUST REALISED I FORGOT TO TELL YOU IM USING A 2 DISK SET OF XCOM APOCALYPSE, WILL THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

IM A GENIOUS :eh:

whenever i tried to run the game and had the graphics problem, i realised that it must have been my resolution, and every time i tried to run the game and came out, my graphics were at 8 bits, 640X480, and my graphics software wouldn't allow that.

SO

once i realised this, i left the game, THEN WENT BACK IN! AND IT WORKS! i can get into the game, on the map, load, and save

HOWEVER

when i load a mission, it freezes for about 1/2 a second, and return's to windows

how can i solve this?

p.s. i didn't use the software here, because it just slowed my game down by LOADS, i mean i could move my mouse and all, but the game was just SO slow, the mouse barely moved at all. if i can get this solved i swear il be playing this for at least 4 hours lol

any ideas please?

*edit* i have to use the second attachment, just experimenting with what to do

If you right click the EXE file and select Properties, under the Compatibility tab there are check boxes to enforce 640x480 resolution and 256 (8 bit) color modes. Dunno if those will streamline things for you or not.

As for the quit out when you enter a mission, I'm afraid that's not a problem I've had, myself... Load up a DOS window, and run the game from that. That way, if there are any error messages, they'll be left on the screen when the game dies.

there already set like that. could you please if possible contact someone who has experianced this prob, and tell em i need ahand, cause im stuck :P

P.S. i have it set as compatibility mode for 98, is that correct or shall i take that back to XP?

Well, I'd recommend disabling sound via the setup program and see what that does. If that still fails, read through the rest of the threads in this department.

Perhaps this one?

thanx a lot Bomb Bloke. that has helped a lot. i can now play missions, and there are ALMOST no problems in game. EXCEPT 2.

1) really annoying glitch, if i use the mouse to move around the map or a level, the game quits and i enter windows (the mouse is fast, but dosen't move properly in game anyway)

2) absolutely no sound at all

any suggestions?

Try different sound options until one works. If no sound options work, bu an old Windows 98 box and play the game on that.

As for mouse scrolling, I'm afraid I haven't the slightest idea as to what would cause that. It's possible, just possible, that MOUSE2KV would fix that one (an optional component of VDMSound, so check the directory you installed it to)... I can't think of anything else.