Can't Start Game After Power Outage

Paranoid Jack

Well, I had just saved the game mid mission and the power went out. I went about doing the yard work and cleaning myself up. Its now a few hours later after power has returned and I can't open the game.

After Starforce checks the disc I get an error message that reads,

ver: UFO: Aftershock version 1.0.3 file:C:\workdir\UFO2\UFOLib\UFOLoadSave.cpp line:652 "Profles/Paranoia_Lost/Saves/savenfo.txt": parse error ()

My other game profile savnfo.txt file reads as follows:

#!TXT##

SAVE_INFOS 2

SAVE_INFO

NAME "MQA="

REAL_TIME 1130691537

GAME_TIME 8078400

FILENAME "1"

FILENAME_NUMBER 0

SAVE_TYPE 1

END_OF_SAVE_INFO

SAVE_INFO

NAME "QQB1AHQAbwBzAGEAdgBlAA=="

REAL_TIME 1130691271

GAME_TIME 8078400

FILENAME "autosave"

FILENAME_NUMBER 0

SAVE_TYPE 0

END_OF_SAVE_INFO

END_OF_SAVE_INFOS

Any ideas? I am currently tring to recreate a savenfo.txt file for the other profile so I don't have to restart the game for the third time. :(

How unfortunate PJ,wish I understood PC programming commands,id try and help you out with that one.

Shame you may have to start for a 3rd time!,im lucky,im still on my 1st attempt.Seems this Starforce has had many bad things said about them than good ones in the past,what do YOU think about that?.

Hope you sort it out.

Cheers.

How unfortunate PJ,wish I understood PC programming commands,id try and help you out with that one.

Shame you may have to start for a 3rd time!,im lucky,im still on my 1st attempt.Seems this Starforce has had many bad things said about them than good ones in the past,what do YOU think about that?.

Hope you sort it out.

Cheers.

First thing out of my mouth after the error posted was, "DAMN STARFORCE". :(

After looking it over I think I have no alternative but to start again after a fresh install since I can't even boot the game to access my other profile. :(

Its most likely the game itself but who knows. I had just saved it and returned to the game when the power winked out. I guess it hadn't yet written the file to the drive before the whole county power grid went dead. If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. :(

Yeah, it can't read it because it is blank. :(

Ah, well. If this were Doom 3 we were talking about I would just uninstall it and toss it aside. :(

Edit: Third Time Lucky? Freshly reinstalled, oh, yeah!

I just restarted the game for the third time and I am amazed that the first mission was different each time. I think the game randomly generates missions, objectives, maps, and terrain. I've played over twnety missions and I have yet to see two maps that are very similar. Yeah, they have structures that look the same (or are the same) but I can handle that when the game-play is this good. :(

Come here you stinkin' muties. I want to introduce you to my little friend. Muahahaah! :)

I think that you only needed to delete the affected profile, or maybe just the affected file. The game would of probably started from the beginning due to the lack of a file. From there tho, you might of been able to load a previous save.

Naa Pete, I don't believe it was starforce since the check routine is completed succesfully from what I can grasp from the post, but when the game is actually loading it probably checks for the profiles and when scanning that particular it finds it doesn't match what it's expecting and thus the crash.

As I said. Deleting the offending profile or just the file might of solved the issue, even tho he would of had to restart anyway.

UPS tend to be usefull under these cases :(. I should know, whenever a single drop of rain falls, blackouts galore.

I tried to delete the profile yet it refused to start with another error message of some type. Even though I had a second profile with several saved games. It must be a bug of some type. No matter I am almost caught up to the point were I was at. Strange thing is some regions now have different resources and became available at different times.

Not to mention the explore option is not allowing me to start any new missions in provinces unknown. I was only able to take one province by exploring it via the mission button. The previous profile I had taken two or three provinces that way.

Oh, well. I guess varied game play is always a good thing. :(

Yes, restarting a game will mean different resources in nearly all areas.

I'm not sure how it works, but initiating new missions in unexplored areas only seems possible if you do one at a time, and then the Laputa (obviously) has to be within range. Sometimes you just can't start them though, and I've not read the manual to find out why yet :(