DESTROYING BUILDINGS

In one of my bases I have a library,and as my research is starting to stagnate a bit I have decided its time for a school now in its place (would it make sense to do that?remove an inferior knowledge building for a more advanced one?to save space also in the base) ,yet when I hover over the library the option to demolish is greyed out,yet in the other bases the demolish option seems fine.

Is this a bug?or some other underlying problem. :(

Cheers.

Im not sure slaughter,all I know is that in most bases you are stuck for space/choices and you have to decide whats the most efficient setup.I mean,to achieve a knowledge of 5 does that mean we have to build a college,a school AND a library?,thats far too many,or is there a structure that provides a straight 5 like a university for example?.With all those buildings you would have barely any room for other critical structures.

As I mentioned before,in my other bases the problem isnt there,like in my French base which is set up for medical research and supply I am able to demolish the existing library,but in my German base I cant. :(

I must add that I have'nt progressed THAT far into the game yet,so im not sure what advanced buildings are available,maybe 1 building will give excellent knowledge scores.

I'm going to have another look now in fact,see what I can figure out.

PS: Slaughter,Im just curious,I had a look through the credits the other day,and saw the name Slaughter in the development team?,is that YOU by chance? :mad:

Cheers.

I've noticed that, one game I had an Energy Weapons Lab at a base, which needs a Knowledge of 1, and wanted to upgrade the Library to a School. Obviously I couldn't destroy the Library and replace it because that'd screw up having the Energy Weapons Lab at the base. Though I'll admit I'm curious as to how the Knowledge Buildings will work when you need a certain amount of Knowledge to get them, then when you have them you want to destroy the lesser building. College being a good example, it needs Knowledge 1 but provides Knowledge 3, does the fact it's providing the knowledge it needs counter the fact it needs a certain knowledge level to maintain?

Im not sure Dark,its puzzling me too.

Anyhow,I managed to set a library,and 2 schools up in my Russian base,so I FINALLY have my space flight lab in construction now.Does that allow us to carry more troopers to a mission?as sometimes 5 squaddies is not enough when you get attacked by about 10 or 15 Cultists! Having said that though,the SAS and other special forces manage to overcome superior numbers,so I guess its down to XP and better weapons,oh and stealth too...slit their throats in the dark :(

I haven't tried it yet (only JUST got college floorplans researched late in my last play session), but here's the trick:

1. Build a library

2. Build a college

3. Build a 2nd college

4. Destroy the library

Each college supports the other. You can use lesser buildings if you need less knowledge level than 2 colleges, but remember knowledge also helps resist cultists and improves mining, so if you need more than 1 college worth, it's probably worth each building being a college (in the long run).

I'm planning to max colleges on one of my psionic territories (lucky for me, I have *three* pretty early on), and in at least one cyborg territory (that's actually the one with my lowest incoming rate).

I don't know what other facilities need > 2 knowledge (which is what a single school provides).

So, if I understand it right, you can get 1-2 knowledge with one base slot, and 4 * number of slots when slots is 2 or more (because you can make them all colleges with the strategy above).

Right,this is really pissing me off here.

In my current game things are becoming pretty stressful now,after a relatively quiet build up to the game.The Cultists are creeping upto my borders,a bloody alien craft is about to land in 9 days,and to top that off one of my bases is in turmoil!

I decided I wanted my Stuttgart base to concentrate on just researching advanced weapons,while Eastern Europe deals with the manufacture of them.Anyhow,as you will know,Stuttgart has 5 slots,a very precious base indeed.Well,in the top right I have decided to put a Barracks,as the Cult threat is in N.Africa at the moment,only a stones throw away.Below that I have my energy weapons lab.This is the problem now,in order to get access to advanced weapon labs I need a knowledge of 4.Easy enough,thats a college,which I decided to have in the centre of the base.The next 2 spaces will have the AWLs.In order to build that college I need the pre equisite knowledge of either 1 or 2,so I decided to opt for the cheaper option and built a library.When this was built I then built the college in its planned slot.Again,great I thought,until the time came to demolish that bloody library to make room for my 2 AWLs.I CANNOT destroy that library! why?! :(

Does anyone know why?

As it stands this base has a knowledge of 5,more than enough for me just to house 2 AWLs.

Thanks.

Why is that Ricardo?.

Surely I thought the bases' ability to defend itself from an incursion would have been of top priority.Having said that though,just because the base does NOT have a barracks this doesnt automatically mean the province is lost does it?,as we are still able to defend the province manually?via a tactical mission?.

I am curious here now. :(

Thanks.

I think I agree with you both now.

I would sooner go in with my small battle hardened squad of warriors than a bunch of wet behind the ears whelps that probably cant even shoot straight in the first place.

It can now be officially confirmed that the Barracks is as much use as a pair of shitty old bloomers :(