Repetitive Mission Generator

After buying this game last Friday and am STILL loving it as I did with the old X-COM classics,I have just tonight noticed as i'm slowly making ground with my provinces that the missions don't seem to randomly generate like they did with the prequel,and indeed the X-COM games.Effectivley this allows us to use the similar tactics on most missions,instead of putting us in unfamiliar territory so that we have to be more alert.

One particular mission is a Cyborg mission,a fairly small layout,where you deploy next to a watchtower,there is a small building about 30 yds on the left,a road then proceeds for a short distance into an underground causeway leading into the Cyborg base.I am then able to use the same deployment and maneuver tactics in this particular scene.I certainly think that some of the mission designs are very small and basic. :(

Really this is the only gripe I have with the game,and the odd crash bug too,which has crashed 3 times so far.

Oh,I thought I may as well tell you that it is now 5.43am and the prospect of bed tonight is looking unlikely.I can barely open my eyes here hehe.

Thanks.

It's now 7.45am,and i'm still on it. :(

I miss my bed now,but this bleedin' game is so damn addictive!,I just NEED some bloody top machine guns now as i'm sick of them Reticulan Rifles now,so I can pummel them stubborn Cyborgs once and for all!,maybe then they will understand i'm doing all this to save their rusty metallic hides in the long run.

This war with em could go on a few months yet. :(

WARNING! Slight Spoiler (if you haven't played the map discribed above)

I am stuck at the very same mission. Four laser rifles and shotties against all those rockets & heavy machine guns. I can't even make a dent in them before they slaughter my crew. I had most of them dead on one attempt but then the leader and the rockets hit me. It wasn't pretty.

I must be choosing a different start spawn (behind round building) then you. I see different outcomes almost ever attempt. Patrols acting differently and even the leader being spotted near the round building once.

I have replayed several missions and they all have different troop locations. For the most part. I think the AI randomly changes directions until you are spotted. But the map we are talking about is rather small compared to the others. Still a great map! Hope you are doing better than I. I think I will return later after I get some better weapons...

Damned Weapons Factory and Lab is taking forever to give me anything new. Whats the trick to getting some longer ranged & stronger weapons?

Hi Paranoid.

In regards to this mission we are on about,dont get me wrong I can do the mission,the point I was making was that in the old X-COMs and in UFOAM the mission generator would randomly place scenario,thus making you adopt possibly a different approach each time,however,with this particular mission,I have a good idea where the enemy MAY deploy,and adopt my tactics accordingly.Whats even more strange on this particular mission I encountered NO threat outside,yet they were all waiting INSIDE the base down below instead.Then again,I may be wrong,and there may be more variety near the middle to final quarter of the game.

I understand your plight about waiting forever for some decent technology,my only advice is to try and build up 3 or 4 pretty strong squads,and use them to conduct missions around the clock,so,1 unit is damaged heals then squad 2 goes out and conducts a raid,and so on.That way you can expand pretty quick in the first couple of days even!,gather all your resources together,then naturally build as many critical buildings as you can,in YOUR case weapon and energy labs,and the factories to manufacture them.

Don't forget to look in my recent CAMPAIGN AND BASE STRATEGY post I made,hopefully we will be discussing all this in more depth there :(

You WILL encounter some stiff opposition out there,so just keep expanding,and building more of what you need,also,do NOT link each province via tracks,only use them to keep supplies going with your bases,they are too costly to maintain,and actually cause a serious debt to your resources.

Expansion is the key mate,keep invading,earning XP for your troops,dont get stuck in a rut,or them precious days will pass and you will have no decent technology to defend your provinces.

Cheers.

Also,the key to better weapons is to study the glossary section of the game,and learn about the various technologies you can research and their relevant pre equisites,learning about firearms will certainly help you,then you can go into all manner of guns like assault rifles,heavy machine guns ect,dont forget though,your troopers actually need to KNOW how to operate these weapons,so keeping them in the field all the time,and spending XP wisely so they can then train accordingly.

I have some pretty good squad combinations if you need a few pointers.

Thx for the info. I appreciate it. I restarted the game and am focusing on weapons research and manufacturing at the moment.

I think in my first go round I expanded too quickly and had far too many tracks to provinces that were not yet needed for the Commonwealth.

My troops (the main squad) were almost level seven. But I think my land grab and poor research direction did me in.

Ah, well. It was still a blast. This game is far better than Aftermath. :(

Your strategies will probably be no different from mine in the long run,I must say though I DO favour the aggressive expansionist policy,however this also has its dangers,management and debt,the same things that crippled the Roman Empire,they were masters at WAGING war,yet greed and corruption crippled em during their decline,not to mention barbarian enemies all around them,they were not too popular by this time.

Sorry,I know this is veering from UFOAS,but I suppose we COULD draw comparisons/influences from other periods and events too to plan our strategies,I think it helps.

Anyway,just keep plugging away with your missions and prioritise your research,and do what I do,draw your own sheets up,so you can study all your gains and losses in bed :( ,you can then easily see your buildings ratio and decide whether you have too many of one building and not enough of the other.Good planning is crucial to play this right.Oh,draw a troop roster up too for each squad you may have,this helps to keep track on certain individuals and how they should progress,time consuming but helpful I think.

Folk will think us absolute headcases for this level of dedication to a game! LOL,and do we give a shit?,I bloody dont,this is probably the best and most challenging game ive had in years!since the memorable XCOM days! ,damn I loved XCOM.

Good luck.

I am yet to purchase the game..

the suspense is killing me!! :(

also, remember the lessons of modern warfare: precision surgical strikes against enemies' resources and guerilla warfare of small tactical units (terror operations).

and above all, always remember the wisdom in the words of one of the greatest strategy minds ever: patience. prudence. persistence. :(

Cunning.

How about S.A.S ?

Stealth,Aggression,Surprise.

Or,

R.A.F

Ruthlessness,Aggression,Ferocity.

Ruthlessness is a virtue in my opinion,show absolutley NO tolerance for those who are weak of mind and walk around on pretty little flowers all their lives,crush your enemies utterly!,and secure nothing less than a total victory!

Aggression ensures we get the initiative first!

And ferocity ensures that we continue to intimidate and demoralise the enemy's will to fight us,through your much coveted term of "terror tactics",which nearly ALL major military powers have employed at some point in their history.

No glory for cowards and "peaceful bunny rabbits".

I am sure you will have a great time when you finally get this game,and feel free to chat with me about anything that might interest you about it,and of course good old warfare :(