Squad Member Voices

shiremct

Seems each time I load, either from tactical screen or from the geosphere screen, all my squad members voices are randomly changed! Sure, it doesnt affect gameplay, but it REALLY frustrates me. How am I supposed to bond with my men (and women) when they are a different person each time I load :(

I know its a small thing, but seriously, does this happen to anyone else? I have seen no mention of it and I thought for sure someone would have. It doesnt affect gameplay, but it hampers immersion and atmosphere very badly.

And a question: Do you ever get access to more faces when recruiting soldiers? I am still fairly early into the game but there is only something like 6 human male and female faces, and maybe 5 cyborgs. Strangely... the pysionics have yet to be found this game. The first time I started the game, they came to me for help right after the cyborgs at the very start, but I restarted and now, I havent found them all over europe.

I havent experienced this voice change yet,but I will certainly keep my ears tuned for it.

I know this is only a minor thing,but I myself would have thought it would have been good to actually have the accent relevant to the area they came from,like a Russian or a German,as in UFOAM some of them had relevant accents.They are all American in this game. :(

If I remember in UFOAM,even the aliens would have their own distinctive voice,for example when they killed a squad member they would say "A unit was lost" in a sort of,well,alien voice.

One last thing,I think there are too many portraits of the same character too.

I still love the game though...so far. :(

Well, from what I can tell from where I was in the game until mine went kaput, the way the character recruitment thing works is:

There are I think 6 male and 6 female portraits. Each portrait has a set number of statistics that are the same. What I mean is that every time that picture comes up in the recruit screen, that character has the same stats. Then names are just randomly assigned. I am not sure, but I think that as they go up in level, their stats improve but still stay the same for each portrait.

I definitely agree that there need to be more portraits available. All my troops were humans, so overlap became a problem. It just didnt look right you know.

I totally follow you Shire.

Another thing I must mention on this,I actually DRAW a squad roster up myself for each squad,so I can monitor who has died,and how valuable he was/becoming.So,when a trooper has the name say Henrich Baum,and I have 2 new recruits with the same name it becomes hard to do.

I understand though how tough and time consuming it would be for the developers to allocate EVERYONE with their own unique name and portrait.

The easy solution to the number of names would be to randomly generate first and last names seperetly, although it may lead to some rather interesting name combinations, heh heh.

The limited number of portraits works fine if you only have one core squad that you use, but I like to keep a small army on hand :(

I dont expect a fully-fleshed out unique personality and portrait for "each" character (assuming there would be a set number) but some more variety couldnt hurt any.

Of course this is something I never expect to be considered by ALTER. It is just too insignificant for their time. And thats what the mod community is for :( *hint-hint*wink-wink*

lol,interesting.

Well,the name changing sounds a good idea to me,will go and do that.

As for a core squad it would be nigh on impossible to expand with speed and efficiency,I have at the moment 3 "marine" squads,1 for all round mutant missions,I am building one up to handle human rebels,and a heavy infantry squad to tackle Cyborgs,after all,speed is essential now for me to expand,as the Cultists have a foothold in Iberia now,and I need to keep the pressure on them so I can keep invading them with fresh squads.I am also planning an elite SAS style squad so I can then attack at night in relative safety and perform rescue missions.I plan to give them some very interesting weapons when they become available,and of course,to max their observation and stealth skills...bit like ninjas really.Being able to attack under ANY condition and without delay is the key to this game I have learned now,being able to do multiple missions per day and keep the pressure ON!

Anyhow,lets think of some funny names now eh?. :mad:

Cheers.

I've turned the voices off because I've that they are pretty negative/depressing.... :(

'Stop with the negative vibes, Moriarty', Oddball from Kelly's Heroes.

The voices just gives me some negative vibes that I don't need on the battlefield.

You must not be depressed when you spot a Mutant/Alien and let that bugger live....You blow it away with your most powerful weapon available and hopefully turn it into dust. :(

If you are not capable of dusting the critter then at least end your miserable life with blowing of your head with a shotgun (POSTAL) or stuffing a handgrenade in your mouth with the pin pulled out (POSTAL 2).

Are they really so depressed/depressing as Marvin in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the most depressing person in known fiction?!?

If you know anyone more depressing then Marvin please do let me know....

*Heads back to more depressing matters....WORK!*

PS: I'm still looking for the 'Punishing Slapping Hand of GOD' for the Sims series....