Is it me or do those flat buggers sprint?

watchtower

Do you mean the Flatsters? They're a pain in the backside. They're so hard to hit because of their low profile and they're extremely tough from the outset - tougher than any Transgenant apart from maybe a Morelman with a really good weapon :P

Do you mean the Flatsters? They're a pain in the backside. They're so hard to hit because of their low profile and they're extremely tough from the outset - tougher than any Transgenant apart from maybe a Morelman with a really good weapon :P

Yes those little mean sods. Morelmen can be tough if you let em get in close to a low level operative. The rest of em are mincemeat ( unless thet have a RPG those things are nasty - I have seen missiles fired from a windowed small room past girder's, trees, rocks and land on my level 9 blokes toes!!! And then within a min 2 more have been launched!!)

For a start in that small space after years of collected dust, the alien should have been blinded in the first launch - some should have hit other things and one should have gone up his nose is the confusion!

Mind you, It was quite funny when a morelman threw a grenade at my lad then aimed his laser and.........................nothing. He had taken out the battery and threw that at me!!

As he was the Alien to capture on the mission and the last one left he done a runner. I then had 5 mins of chasing him round and around the battlefield in a Benny Hill fashion before I cornered him.

Well, since the game has been delayed futher here I've been looking into the demo files. The flatster doesn't seem to be very fast. In fact, the human male is faster than it and the rest move at the same speed. It is faster than brainmen and morelmen but it's strong points are it's amazing stealth. It is one of the stealthiest creatures of the game:

- Shares 1st place with another creature in regards of spotting them with the naked eye, as in very hard to spot.

- Virtually undetectable via infrared

- Almost no sound when it's still, nor does it make much more when on the move

- Undetectable via psionics

- Low heartbeat rate (another way of detection)

Not only that, it seems capable of sensing your guys via infrared and has better hearing too. Haven't found anything about their armour tho.

Nasty little fellow

Well, since the game has been delayed futher here I've been looking into the demo files. The flatster doesn't seem to be very fast. In fact, the human male is faster than it and the rest move at the same speed. It is faster than brainmen and morelmen but it's strong points are it's amazing stealth. It is one of the stealthiest creatures of the game:

It must have a bloody high Agility then (assuming that's what increases movement speed)!

It must have a bloody high Agility then (assuming that's what increases movement speed)!

That thing moves!!

Possible Spoiler

Best way to kill (that I have found so far) is to have all your squad Blast it with Shotguns on quick shot and get up close and blast it untill its dead.

Flatsters eh,they are annoying,and have made short work of some of my "green" recruits in the past.They seem virtually impossible to detect due to their method of movement and low profile.

Best way to deal with them is the old "cabbage pop" method,staring down my barrel,and letting rip with my SPAZ shotgun!(ON BURST MODE!)Fire would be nice too,do we get flame units in this game,like in the old UFOAM?

If that doesnt stop the little critter LOL,then its time to run!.Can you imagine your seasoned bug hunters running from a bloody creature that small and pathetic?! :(

Morelmen can be annoying too,but a quick burst from a heavy MG will deal with him in no time.

Laying prone is great for spotting targets better (providing no obstacles obscure your view),and it would certainly increase accuracy by steadying your aim,however,the only draw back when going prone is the time it takes to immediately change position when targets draw nearer,and as we all know by now them flatsters move QUICK!.

A good tracking device would be IDEAL,however people have even said that even tracking devices have minimal effect against these buggers.

How about during a night mission?,what is the vision/awareness level of a flatster?,maybe fighting more at night can increase our survival rates.Having said that though,sound tactics ALWAYS prevails over beneficial conditions in the end I have learned.

Flatsters are even more dangerous at night due to their infrared vision capabilities which improve during night time while at the same time most of the basic humanoid detection capabilities are reduced for your units.

I even managed to test it with the demo as I somehow managed to do the same mission once during the day and another during the night. They are harder to spot.

Flatsters are even more dangerous at night due to their infrared vision capabilities which improve during night time while at the same time most of the basic humanoid detection capabilities are reduced for your units.

I even managed to test it with the demo as I somehow managed to do the same mission once during the day and another during the night. They are harder to spot.

Thats a nice touch making units and monsters behave according to time of day. Any Idea at what time they go home for dinner? That way I might catch them snoozing after some roast Human or whatever it is they eat :(

Just one last thing about night missions,as I try and time my missions for around 6am GMT,which would correspond to the crack of dawn normally.Does the game actually take into account REAL time zones,so that say in USA 6am in Western Europe and Britain would be around 10pm in USA.The main reason i'm asking this is because ive tried timing a night mission for a typical time of say 10-12pm,and sometimes the mission appears the same as it would in daylight.I must be timing it wrong.

How can we better time our missions?,as I want to start deploying more at night now,for added stealth and surprise.

Cheers.

Just one last thing about night missions,as I try and time my missions for around 6am GMT,which would correspond to the crack of dawn normally.Does the game actually take into account REAL time zones,so that say in USA 6am in Western Europe and Britain would be around 10pm in USA.The main reason i'm asking this is because ive tried timing a night mission for a typical time of say 10-12pm,and sometimes the mission appears the same as it would in daylight.I must be timing it wrong.

How can we better time our missions?,as I want to start deploying more at night now,for added stealth and surprise.

Cheers.

It would be great if this is the case. In my game I've got to a point where everything is tough - so dozy monsters would be a plus.