BASE CONFIGURATIONS

I was just wondering what interesting base configurations some of you may have employed in UFOAS thus far.

I think the possibilities are quite large really,but for the campaign to succeed,only a handful may eventually prove to be useful in the long run.For example,in the early stages of the game,I made Central Europe(Stuttgart) into my advanced weapons research and production facility,the main inspiration I got from this was the German effort during WWII to produce cutting edge weapons technology to win the war,and I thought that in a future Earth scenario maybe the Germans would like to have carried on their trend for top notch weapons,like the HK brand of firearms today.

Secondly,I expanded West into France,and made or at least DESIGNATED France to be my main medical supply centre,again,researching cutting edge medical equipment and manufacturing,in effect,French Pharmaceuticals hehe,as I thought to myself (no offence to the French here),but they arent what I would call a military powerhouse,and medical research seemed to fit them nicely.

Then I expanded into Britain,and as I am British I wanted to see them carry their proud aviation history into the future,and research and manufacture space craft,and military craft?(I have not managed to research any of this yet,as Britain only has 3 slots,and its proving difficult to set up)

After this,I plan to invade N.Africa and the Middle East,to try and set up some permanent manufacturing sites,to ease the workload in Europe so they can concentrate on research and defence.

THEN,I plan to take USA,and there is no question as to where their field will lie,military and research.

Lastly,is it possible to make the Arctic and Scandinavia into permanent research facilities in this game?,as I remember fondly playing the old UFO terror from the deep years ago,and I ALWAYS made the Arctic my main research facility,as I envision the global forces wanting to do this as it is normally deemed a bleak and barren environment,ideal for top secret research (remember the film The Thing with Curt Russel?).

I am really interested in some of your base setups and campaign strategies here,and I look forward to reading them.

Cheers. :P

You can't build in the arctic.

I have changed my designs as I go along. Buildings are cheap and quick to make, so you cna demolish old structures and build new ones. e.g. all my basic weapon labs bar one are destroyed, I had 7 when I was building up my squad.

Bases with 5 slots are very valuable.

Also I got bases that produce only Alien resources and just filled them with colleges. This really helps the resource count.

Ricardo.

I have managed to control much of central Europe now,and am starting to make my influence made in Eastern Europe,but have run out of high grade material and the Alien material is waning now,and the cultists have effectively cut off much of the East and N.Africa,my squad is not NEARLY ready enough to challenge them in the field,and there is still some heavy Cyborg resistance in isolated pockets in W.Europe,and THEY have control over the high grade material I need!.

I am trying out a few plans at the moment,and spent half of last night configuring certain squads for certain missions,to try and speed up my advances.Tell me if you think these ideas sound interesting and that they may work.

For general mutant and human resistance,I am building an all purpose "Marine" squad,largely modelled around present day US special forces today.This is my backbone squad.

To meet Cyborg resistance effectively,I have in mind a sort of heavy Mechanized division (Cyborgs themselves),as humans are cannon fodder against these lads.

Squad C,I have in mind a squad composed entirely of elite Commandos,based around the British SAS,so they will engage in rescue and night missions,as the night missions I am not able to engage in so far,I have no night vision capabilities.

Squad D & E,not sure yet,maybe a sort of Mountain Division?,able to operate in difficult terrain,largely composed of naturally,Rangers.

Maybe Squad E could become a dedicated Psionics Div?,to carry out Alien capture missions.As space flight is no doubt possible in this game,does that mean we get to battle in space?!NICE!,maybe squad E could become Space Marines!the next generation soldiers!

This is all a thought at the moment,but im sure it could work,tell me what YOU think,or have I thought too hard about this?,and the game doesnt require such complexities.

Thanks.

I am playing on standard, and it took me a while to beat the cultists. They had Barret's I had a desert eagle. I ended up hiding in a room with shotguns leveled towards the door.

Then poor frankie ran out, waved her desert eagle in an agressive manner, shot at them and ran away. They foolishly followed and bloodbath ensued.

As soon as I had a barret everything was easy from then on in.

My team is like this:

2/3 riflemen. Trooper training. One with leadership. (humans)

1/2 gunners with machine guns. (2 are cyborgs 1 human, if I had known how good cyborgs were when I started they would all have been cyborgs)

1/2/3 snipers. (humans)

1 medic (psi)

(change the ratio depending on the opposition)

Nothing beats the rifle. The ME60 is awsome, and the barret is mint. I have recently tried Plasma guns, but on RoF and ow ammo capacity, they just don't hack it against a good rifle.

Train your guys up with adequate strength and excelent agility, and they will shoot first. Give them snap shot orders burst fire and they will lay down a lot of fire. 3/4 of it will miss but there are a lot of people shooting. You do 30% damage and they can't shoot you back as their plan is interupted.

Try to set up defensive positions and watch as cultists walk to their deaths.

By the time you team hits level 10 each there is little need for subtlty with weapons. Just give everyone the best you have. Assault rifles are great in all situations. The range, firepower is brilliant. Top it up with two gyro stabilized machine guns, and AP rounds and nothing can survive the wall of fire (well nothing I have met yet).

For the Stealthy missions I'd just train one guy to do the actual extraction the rest can stand around and cause a distraction. You get in and out. Hanging around to kill the badies gives you virtually no XP.

I never attacked the Cyborgs, so can't help you there. I can say though that good relations seem to have benefited me. I asked the psions for resources when I had them at full. They gave me 10,000 alien resources. Then I gave them 4000 low tech and they were half way up again.

Remember click on the mission thing a lot, the mission avaliable change, and one moment they are saying "go away" you check in 2 days time and they need help with a reticulan problem. Keep checking the territories, and keep scouting for new ones.

Thanks for the reply Ricardo.

I am on standard too,and I did the exact same thing in my first Cultist mission,I was seriously out manned and out gunned,so the only tactic available was to TRY and find the nearest building and hold it,for as long as possible,and yes,they ran into my fairly well placed ambushES.

Thing is though,as I am obsessed with real life small squad tactics,I am determined to use them in this game,for example,in a typical five man team,I would have a strong squad leader,good intelligence and perception skills,I would have 1 strong heavy gunner up front,to supress any advance down the centre,then my 2 riflemen would be positioned so that rifleman A would cover firing arc A,and rifleman B would cover arc B and so on,my combat medic would remain near the rear,rushing around between the ranks healing as necessary and giving support fire with his rifle also.Splitting them into smaller fire teams is a must too,when entering buildings and other strategic points.

I havent managed to get a larger squad than 5 so far,but I intend to include a PSI scout/sniper,and possibly a heavy rocketeer/anti armour element.

These tactics I believe work in real life,as your heavy gunner supresses the main enemy advance,while the riflemen open up fire at the same time,rifleman A runs to suitable cover and holds his position while rifleman B runs into cover,andr then the heavy weapons support moves into position with the rest of the team.

Good Recon is IMPERATIVE in this game I have found,as in real life situations,the ability to know where the enemy is before you,and I intend to build up a very proficient PSI scout/sniper for this,as I believe they already have inherant detection abilities,so augmenting this seems only natural.

A good combat medic is also paramount,as no unit in this world ever goes in without one,and he/she is able to take a battering too,as they probably have some form of infantry XP.

I am really looking forward to building up my commando/SAS squad,as I have some knowledge on their methods,and I am interested in seeing if any of this would work on the night/rescue missions.

My heavy infantry/cyborg DIV is a MUST,as I am really struggling in the field with the cyborgs with my initial marine squad,as soon as I research advanced weapons and armour,its time to show them stubborn mules who that province REALLY belongs to! :(

Cheers.

• 8 years later...

I summon the dead, that sleep lie!

Anyway, I try UFO Aftershock the first time and I find it pretty good. Much different from the Afterlight.

The bases are just begging for specialized configurations.

High-resource base like Stuggart is good for a 3-colleges design.

Low-resource base like Riga is research and development design. Mixed, not single type, to reduce the disruption from having one base taken out.

Possible no local defense. A good offense from a mobile base like Laputa is better than garrison troop on the ground.

I am still in early stage of a Normal game. We shall see how it goes.

That is not a problem for me because i never allow a lost soldier if i can help it. The problem of Afterlight is that the limited selection of personel and the large choice of task they must do. Stress on the limited factor. I like having large pool of troopers.

Mmmm~ I must say, currently I like AS better than AL. The small number of enemies (normal) in a medium map make for very quick mission, unlike the AL ones can be quite tedious in chasing down enemies. the strategic decisions also is nice.

UFO Aftershock pretty good. Much different from Afterlight., currently I like AS better than AL.

The problem of Afterlight is that the limited selection of personel and the large choice of task they must do. Stress on the limited factor. I like having large pool of troopers.

The small number of enemies (normal) in a medium map make for very quick mission, unlike the AL ones can be quite tedious in chasing down enemies. the strategic decisions also is nice.

Same as yours. You must learn again AL for each started game. It's okay when you discover the game, but borring when not new.

bases specialized configurations.

no local defense. mobile base Laputa is better than garrison

For me, base spec depends on the materiels here. So I have 3 main kind of bases: low tech buildings, high tech, knowledge-only.

Defense is only some usefull in the end game, where you're borred fighting and don't care about loosing a region.