How do I zoom?

Gungadin

In the tactical missions, the "Freeview" function is ***** up and I can't figure out how to zoom out so I can have a better overview of the battlefield. I have no damn middle mouse button and have no intention of getting one, and I can't seem to find any "zoom" function anywhere. Is this game really so poorly designed that you HAVE to have a 3-button mouse to zoom or is there just no zoom-out function?

Can't you change it in the Options screen?

Nope. I can't see how. There's also a HUGE*** bug in the "change key settings" screen. I cannot assign either of my mouse buttons to anything in there even though it says "press new key or mouse button."

This game has so far been a great disappointment. Crappy voice acting, same clunky controls as in UFO1, my inability to zoom, obscene loading times.....I hope the bug will correct at least the zooming business.

Nope. I can't see how. There's also a HUGE*** bug in the "change key settings" screen. I cannot assign either of my mouse buttons to anything in there even though it says "press new key or mouse button."

This game has so far been a great disappointment. Crappy voice acting, same clunky controls as in UFO1, my inability to zoom, obscene loading times.....I hope the bug will correct at least the zooming business.

Edit: Just tried it again. No dice. Idiot game won't let me zoom in any way without a 3rd mouse button, and it's frankly unplayable while being unable to zoom. I guess I'll put this one on the shelf for now and wait for the culprits to fix it.

This ticks me off to no end.

Well, I think the voice acting is fine (at least compared to Aftermath), and loading times hasn't been that bad. But with all the tactical missions there is quite a bit of loading, that's true.

As for changing the rotate and zoom keys, go to this folder:

AftershockDrive:\YourGamesFolder\UFO Aftershock\Profiles\YourProfile

There you'll find a file called GUIMaps.txt. Open it, and search for "mouse". Change the keys there to whatever you like.

And one last thing - we have rules here. Watch your language from now on.

"ready or not here I come" - good?

And it is said by EVERYONE.

In baldurs gate there was a great option that turned down the frequency of things said to 1 in 20. This was ace as it still had your guys saying stuff, but every time you clicked to attack a skeleton it didn't say "I WILL CRUSH YOU"

Well personally the only bit of bad voice acting was the monologue on the intro for me, but that's all down to preference. I agree with Ricardo though, they do get annoying after a while. At least you have the option to turn them off for each event.

I'll have to look into th key mapping functions though - I vaguely remember having trouble on Friday shortly before I remembered I had a middle mouse button and a scroll wheel to control the camera :P

Thanks Slaughter, I edited the file and managed to re-map the LMB to the RMB. Now I just have to select groups using the keyboard instead of dragging the mouse. But I still can't zoom in or out.

How DO you zoom in or out? The Z and X keys which should "lower and raise camera" do nothing at all for me. CAN you even zoom in as you could in Aftermath, using the mouse wheel or something? I have trouble planning strategically if the camera is situated so close to my men I can see their eye colour.

Why Cenega decided to change the perfectly good camera control system from UFO1 to this is beyond me.

Altar made the game, not Cenega :P

And you could map keys to zoom in and out, IIRC, repag and avpag (ehh, those are in spanish, sorry, they are next to home and end to the right) did the trick.

They just take the roofs off buildings, they don't zoom in any way. It's strange that my Z and X keys do nothing at all. Guess that means I have to buy a new mouse (which I won't) or somebody better patch this annoying bug.

I played it a bit more. The game's pretty good, but HARD! It's been a long time since I got totally destroyed in only the second mission of a game. Them Flatsters seem to pop out of nowhere.

Could someone please tell me: How do you zoom? using the mouse wheel? Any other key? I need to know if I have a defect version of Aftershock or if I need to report this to the developers and hope for patching.

When you hold down the middle mouse button (mouse wheel in my case) you can rotate the camera. When you roll the wheel up or down, you zoom in and out. I think X and Z are supposed to be the keys for this as you say, but they are not working for me either. I'll check with ALTAR.

Gungadin.

It seems that the game was designed for a middle mouse zoom for ease of use,its natural to roll in to zoom,and most games employ this feature.

I may be wrong,but it seems that is was designed for a middle button zoom.

Wonderful. Guess that's THAT game down the drain for me.

I'll have to contact the developers then, hoping for a Ctrl+uparrow/downarrow key combination to be implemented in the patch or something.

Slaughter, if you're connected with the Altar people, would you do me the favour of notifying them of their game being unplayable for people without a 3 button wheel mouse please? If so, I'd be most grateful, as I can't seem to find any E-mail address for their development section.