Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:45 PM
1. Never stand (in run mode) - you're far easier to see, and hit. Try to stay prone if you can, and spread out a bit. Makes you harder to hit in general, and less susceptible to blast-radius attacks.
2. Using Watch mode holds your guns up, ready to fire - this can shave off as much as half a second from your fire-time which can be the crucial difference between killing them before they attack, or dying.
3. Psionics are invaluable for their ability to sense people through walls - I really notice the difference when mine is in training, so get more than one!
4. Rescue missions sometimes involve a super-powerful 'local'. Use them to hunt down enemies on the map, rather than wasting your own guys life / weapons. You may want to win the mission first, then send him/her back out on his own.
5. With enough people shooting at the aliens / mutants, you can cause them to start to run away. Seemingly breaking their morale. Be careful when pursuing them as they are likely to set up traps for you round corners.
6. People are cheap - especially at the start. For the first few missions, it doesn't matter if you get a bit shot up, you can always hire more people to fill the gaps. Winning the missions is a greater priority than ensuring all of your men survive.
7. Pick speciality trainings which compliment each other. For example - a Psionic works well as a leader and a medic, providing skills to enhance the whole team and survivability.
8. Know when to retreat. Often I'll use a single man as bait to lead aliens into traps. Or to move an entire squad back to an area better covered.
9. Medics are essential. In previous games of this style, the medic was rarely used / useful, however in this one it can really make a difference. One single medic can put an entire team back together from a few rocket blasts!
10. Don't spread yourself too thinly. At the start, make sure you research and produce the simple things to help you survive - low tech weapons, armour, and ammo. Don't do what I did in my first game and try to get one of every lab across your first 5 bases - it'll take you days and days to research anything remotely useful, by which time you may well all be dead, or out of ammo.
I think I just had an evilgasm....