How do you play?

Matryx

How do you (or how do you intend to) play.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you (or how do you intend to) play.

• Super Ironman
    • Ironman Style
    • Regular Gamer
    • Saver Gamer
    • Save-Scummer

The choices mean the following: -

Super Ironman - When hiring new people, I don't pick and choose by refreshing the "ask for people" screen, I just take what is offered.

Ironman Style - I don't save until I stop playing a session, and never reload to counteract bad turnouts.

Regular Gamer - I save before/after every mission, if lots of people die, I might reload - after all, everyone has bad days!

Saver Gamer - I save before/after every mission, and if someone dies, I reload.

Save-Scummer - I save after every few moves - if someone gets shot badly, I reload.

Well, how is it for you?

When I played UFO:Enemy Unknown, and other XCom games, I was a save-scummer. Sad to admit it, but I was.... I was also much much younger.

These days, I'm quite happy to say that I've changed my playstyle, improved it through Saver Gamer, Regular Gamer and now generally play Ironman or worse!

I played until the first cultist attack on 'Soldier' difficulty to get a feel for the game, then went back to play on Veteran, and now I'm playing in "Super-Ironman" mode as detailed above. Something doesn't seem quite right about picking and choosing from the available people list by refreshing the window - surely the same person would be available?

Anyway, I'm currently only about a day and a bit into the game, and have 4 people in the hospital for at least the next 4 game days. Veteran + SuperIronman mode certainly keeps the ER full!

Ironman to super Ironman...

Basically what I did was build a squad based on refreshes. It's something I always do, I have my boys, the rest are redshirt (what's behind that door?) fodder.

But after the initial squad selection, I'm superironmaning it all the way.

I have somewhat of a substantually high body count atm, flatstars keep ripping me apart.

Playing on the second hardest difficulty, after trying it on the hardest and getting swarmed by Rets outnumbered and really outgunned. I figured I'd come back to that :P

As yes, saving in case of crash doesn't count of course. Mind you, I've found the auto-save does a good job of keeping things up to date, at least for starting missions anyway.

Raxxman: a tip versus the flatsters - keep your guys in prone mode, watching every few seconds, move very very slowly. You should get a yard or so's notice on them, and with watch mode activated, your guys are already ready to fire. unload a few point blank snap-shot auto-fire things into them and you should only get hit once or twice if unlucky.

I find muckstars harder than flatsters... though shotgun ambushes with watch mode do the trick nicely for them :P

I just play straight. I have never reloaded the Geoscape except once when I wiped out the cultists and it gave them 4 bases, 3 of them were mine!!

That killed me as it killed all my track and my labs. I thought it was unfair too that they are given provinces for plot reasons, without you being able to defend yourself.

Missions I reload when it crashes, or when I get my ass handed to me (usually because I am impatient) Only really happened against the Cult, as they have guns.

Well I haven't got the game yet, but all the other games of this style I play them as a "regular gamer". And by the looks of it I am the only one... :)

Hehe... ok hadn't seen results before saying that... :P feel alot more normal now... still want to try ironman though