Anyone else run out of resources?

Doctoxic

Am playing on hard and the track upkeep (the few that i can build - see my other post) seem very high compared to what you get from each province.

As mentioned i can't always seem to build tracks so that doesn't help.

Any tips - what do you guys do to get resources?

Thanks

Doc

Hi Doctoxic.

Well,I have only had this much anticipated AND bloody amazing game for 2 days now,and let me tell you it is VERY difficult,and is going to take possibly many months to conquer.Anyhow,in response to your query on the resource management,I too found it very frustrating up until now that is.

I would invade a province,then set a track up first,naturally to maintain logistical support with the initial central province,somewhere in Germany if I remember.I thought to myself,great,more natural resources for the war effort,however,I was LOSING more than I was gaining as the provinces fell to my forces.

Right,this is only MY personal experience here,but I have come up with the strategy of shutting down tracks where they are not needed,and opening up tracks where they ARE needed.Example,say you are short on high grade materials for a manufacturing project,I shut down ALL the tracks that generally supply low grade or rare alien materials,leaving open the provinces that supply mainly high grade material (this is only trail and error remember).Same with research,which proves to be very costly when you are short on the relevant materials to maintain it.

I think you have to open and close the tracks as and when the situation evolves.I also think the tracks should only be useful to link your main bases up,and to expand further into unknown provinces.I still think the tracks are very awkward and its going to take a while for me to fully understand them,the manual could have been more descriptive in that area.

I have a question for you now,how are you going with the base management? I think this is a touch and go thing too,always changing to reflect the evolving struggle.I am constantly building stuff then destroying it later as a NEW threat takes place!

Lastly,I think the tactical battles are amazing,and real modern warfare tactics work in this game. ;-)

Hope this helped..a bit.

thanks for that - if i ever manage to build more than about 1 track i'll try your advice and shut non essential ones down

i haven't played it too much yet but was coming around toyour way of thinking about base facilities - have started to build multiple of same type to speed up initial manufacture of armour and research but will probably demolish some to make way for other stuff like an ordnamnce factory as time goes on - because of the trouble i am having with tracks not building i have't yet managed to connect a second base yet :P

any idea how long a track is supposed to take to build?

thanks

Doc

Am playing on hard and the track upkeep (the few that i can build - see my other post) seem very high compared to what you get from each province.

As mentioned i can't always seem to build tracks so that doesn't help.

Any tips - what do you guys do to get resources?

Thanks

Doc

Firstly, the very first thing I do when I meet a new faction is to ask them for resources.... This should give you an initial boost without harming your diplomacy level because, lets face it, you've only just met so you're not gonna be very high in their books anyway.

Secondly, chances are you mis-read the manual and have a bazillion tracks, which is far far too many.

Resources from mines etc are automagically transfered for FREE to the country's capital province (assuming you own it), so just build tracks between the bases and nowhere else.

Those two should hold you in good stead for now... my main problem at the moment is over-expansion too quickly.. I play on Vet and I'm getting through injured people very quickly. But people don't take upkeep so the resources I get from winning and asking for more, more than compensate for extra people :P

The resource management and tracks has been doing my head in since I started the game yesterday. Suddenly realised that the best way to get the resources you need is to trade them. You get loads of low tech and both the cyborgs and the other bunch will trade you for alien and high tech. Your rating will go to neutral but do em a favour and you can do it all over again - its bartering realy!!

Smash game though much better than I was expecting - hopefully a patch will iron out the few bugs I have seen so far.

Doc and everyone else.

Just in case anyone appears to be having trouble even STARTING a new track it goes like this

1- locate province with initial track and click it

2- click on track construction and then click on the neighbouring province where you want the track to finish,this will then highlight a faint yellow line to show where the intended track will be laid,then speed the time up about 1 or 2 hrs,and the line will become a bold yellow line indicating it has been completed.

TO SHUT THEM DOWN

1- highlight the province to be shut down and click it,click on track construction tab,and again,go into the neighbouring province with the next section of track,hover over the track and this time 2 minus symbols appear over the track,click the track and it will go red,indicating it has been shut down.

Personally I don't think it makes much sense to close ANY track down as surely this will cause some logistical nightmare somewhere else,but what option do we have?,it seems that we lose more than we gain by keeping them all active!However,I have not yet built many knowledge structures that increase resource yields yet so this may counter the resource loss by bringing in more in the long run.I still think the manual was pretty vague when it came to province and base management.Who knows,Cenega may have intended this so that it forces us to literally LEARN how humans maintained their bases/provinces in the last war (interesting thought).

I would like to take this opportunity now to say that as I was a loyal fan to the old X-COM games,this is proving to be a natural and superior successor to any of them,and it's a pleasure to know there are many more ardent fans out there.

Lastly,is anyone having problems dealing with the cultist threat,as they have just appeared on the scene in my current game,and are proving to be a very deadly force on the battlefield,not to mention their ruthless infiltration of one of my bases already!I later invaded the province,but with many casualties(1 survivor),and now their network has infested much of Africa and the Middle East,and I desperatley need to expand into these areas as no doubt(like in real life) these areas will be rich in natural minerals,and will prove to be a tactical advantage to control these areas.On the other side of the coin I also would like to expand into the USA,as this will MOST likely contain many research and military systems?.In my particular game I have made much of old Germany and Britain to be the military powerhouse in Europe,supplying the bulk of weapons and ammunition,and made France my general research facility.In an ideal scenario I would like to forego any research anywhere on the globe save for Scandinavia and the Arctic/Antarctica,as these are normally seen as isolated areas?and may be ideal for the establishemnt of dedicated high end research projects,much like the Germans did during WWII.Maybe we could also set up our own version of Area-51 in the USA too?

Has anyone expanded this far yet?

I have the whole map explored nearly, I have control of I think half or more of the provinces, and Have bases in NA SA south east asia, east asia, as well as all of africa and europe and the middle east.

Playing on default settings.

Cultists are GREAT. Yeah the first mission is brick against them, but the yield of goodies leaves you with enough to kick their ***** every time after that.

*edit* stuff moved to TIPS thread