Aftershock - can't even start the game!

rhargrav

I've just installed aftershock and when I try to play my (TFT) monitor just comes up with a 'signal outside accepted range' message... the music etc is playing in the background, but I have no way to get to an option menu and change the settings... grrr...

I'm quite annoyed. Is there any way to alter a config file without going into the game so that it will run ok? My monitor will go up to 1280x... and 75Hz, so the game by default is outside this, which seems ridiculous to me.

HELP!

Cheers

R

As Xzarr says, try safe mode. If that doesn't work, check if you have the Profiles\Slaughter (well, not Slaughter, but something). If you do, you'll find a file called options.txt there. In this file you'll find this:

STRUCT "system"

GKEY 2 "scale_texs" INT 1

GKEY 2 "safe_refresh" BOOL TRUE

GKEY 2 "old_va_mode" BOOL FALSE

GKEY 2 "true_color" BOOL TRUE

GKEY 2 "use_shaders" BOOL TRUE

GKEY 2 "gamma" FLOAT 0.5

GKEY 2 "video_mode" INT -1

GKEY 2 "anisotropic_filter" FLOAT 0

GKEY 2 "antialiasing" INT 1

GKEY 2 "tutorial" BOOL TRUE

GKEY 2 "smart_gamma" BOOL FALSE

GKEY 2 "shaders" INT 1

GKEY 2 "sound" BOOL FALSE

GKEY 2 "shadows" BOOL TRUE

END_OF_STRUCT "system"

Also, check this topic.

Ok, now I'm really confused...

Read the topic Slaughter suggested and I'm not too keen on playing the game (any game) on windowed versions.

So what I am asking is this:

If the demo worked fine on my aforementioned display and settings, is there any chance the full game won't?

I was thinking of buying the game tommorow (if the one and only store that said it'll sell some copies has it already) but if I can't play it the right way it is out of the question.

Please reply soon! :P

• 4 weeks later...

It appears I may have a problem with Starforce and UFO:AS, the game installed and played fine until last night when on a Wargot mission an ugly bug reared it's head and the game crashed, now I cannot even start the game! The game starts the Starforce check then the computer just stops completely and restarts itself without even shutting down. I've changed nothing with drivers or settings so why suddenly is the game not working. I uninstalled the game and removed the Starforce drivers, reinstalled the game and let the game reinstall the Starforce drivers. Rebooted then tried to play the game again, it now completes the Protection check then switches resolution and then I get UFO.exe has experienced a problem and needs to close do i want to send an error report.

Any ideas, i've bought a game that did work, crashed and now doesnt work at all. This is ridiculous!!

Its ok, its sorted, I got home from work after spending all day reading up on the problem. All i did was delete the replicated localisation folders and replace them with the old one that was renamed (2) deleted the options text file and now the game starts and plays, although i'm still running up against them damn wargot bugs Grrrr...where's that patch!!