First UFO: Aftershock reviews!

Slaughter

The official UFO: Aftershock reports tonight that the first UFO: Aftershock reviews are in. German site GameVision.de gives it a smashing 90% and mentions Strategy Game Of The Year 2005 in the conclusion. British Sunday Times gives it a 4 out of 5 rating. A flying start for our alien friends at ALTAR!

Thanks for the heads up Stefan100!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure Sunday Times reviewed it? I couldn't find UFO: Aftershock in the 2005 Review Archive.

Well, here's the "fantastic" review for you (you have to register to see it):

UFO: Aftershock

PC, £29.99; ages 16+

Why is it that whenever aliens visit, they seem intent on genocide? This stunning turn-based strategy game (TBS) puts you in charge of the defence of Earth against an invading alien horde. Combat missions, which range from kill-’em-all blood baths to more testing rescue sorties, combine with global strategy, as you plot where next to strike at the invaders. The arsenal for hitting ET where it hurts would have Sigourney Weaver salivating — it includes both human and alien weaponry, plucked from your foe’s lifeless tentacle. This is the spiritual successor to the 1993 TBS smash hit X-Com, developed by the same team. The basic premises are the same, but addictive gameplay and glorious graphics help to sell this. It is not without faults: even on the lowest difficulty setting, it’s harder than a Vulcan crossword; the camera angle often goes awry; and many of the locations look the same. Nonetheless, Aftershock will appeal to strategy aficionados as well as newcomers to the genre. Four stars

"The arsenal for hitting ET where it hurts would have Sigourney Weaver salivating (...)"

Thanks for the transcript, Olav :P

::

*Soon... Soon it will be unleashed upon the unsuspecting hordes. One to rule them all, One to find them. One to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."* :devil:

I think ALTAR (and AS) will get big problems if almost every review/preview say that AS is X-COM or something like it.

First of all they are talking about SPIRITUAL successor.

Secondly the game layout is very similar to UFO Enemy unknown. You have to be blind not to see the connection.

As for copyrights I don't see any problem.

Yes, I know they said spiritual sucessor, and I don't see any problem with that. What I see as a problem is that they say  "its developed by the same team" which is NOT ALTAR. Maybe not a problem but I don't know anything better to call it.

Problem is that most journalist do lousy research before writing articles. You rarely see anyone getting it all right :P. But Aftermath was constantly compared to X-COM, and believed to be a sequel by many, so at least ALTAR are used to it.

Problem is that most journalist do lousy research before writing articles. You rarely see anyone getting it all right . But Aftermath was constantly compared to X-COM, and believed to be a sequel by many, so at least ALTAR are used to it.

Yeah, thats sad. Can't they just say X-COM inspired and stop with that?

From what I've seen so far, AS is not really a match for X-Com Apocalypse (IMHO), the only thing it has better is way better graphics and the fact that it is released after all those games, so it can take some clues about what to do and what not to do (and yet they made Aftermath...). Apocalypse, made with today's graphics, would kick AS' ass! :) Obviously I'm saying this only by the demo, maybe once I get to play the game things will be different, but so far, I'm not terribly impressed by the battlescape, besides graphics of course, I have way more fun with Apocalypse's battlescape for now, I hope the game is really worth it :) it looks cool, I hope it plays as cool too :P

From what I've seen so far, AS is not really a match for X-Com Apocalypse (IMHO), the only thing it has better is way better graphics and the fact that it is released after all those games, so it can take some clues about what to do and what not to do (and yet they made Aftermath...). Apocalypse, made with today's graphics, would kick AS' ass! :) Obviously I'm saying this only by the demo, maybe once I get to play the game things will be different, but so far, I'm not terribly impressed by the battlescape, besides graphics of course, I have way more fun with Apocalypse's battlescape for now, I hope the game is really worth it :) it looks cool, I hope it plays as cool too  :P

Funny, I always thought that Apocalypse was the worst crappiest squad based game in the galaxy because of everything from the colour scheme to the stupid Judge Dredd Megacity setting to the silly aliens to the AWFUL real-time mode. I HATED that game. Aftershock will, hopefully, be good. I just hope it retains the "In No Mans Land" feeling of the first game, being alone in a destroyed city with dozens of mutans and aliens.

Funny, I always thought that Apocalypse was the worst crappiest squad based game in the galaxy because of everything from the colour scheme to the stupid Judge Dredd Megacity setting to the silly aliens to the AWFUL real-time mode. I HATED that game. Aftershock will, hopefully, be good. I just hope it retains the "In No Mans Land" feeling of the first game, being alone in a destroyed city with dozens of mutans and aliens.

Well, it's a matter of opinions, comparing with Apocalypse I could say that X-Com 1 and 2 are the worst strategy games I've ever had the disgrace to play; from the stereotypical Aliens that, as usual, come from Mars, to the AWFUL turn-based combat mode.

I also hope that it retains the same feeling as in Aftermath (correcting its many flaws, of course), from what I've seen, the music no longer retains that feeling :P it no longer has that feeling of "everything is lost already", I hope the rest make up for it.

I had a hard time getting into Apocalypse too. First time I tried it I gave up after a few hours and went back to UFO and TFTD. Luckily I went back to it, and eventually got into it. It's a great game when you do, though I agree with some of the points Gungadin made.